PDA

View Full Version : Newbie alert! Why can't I find more posts re Bear Canisters for the AT?

Crusinsusan
02-24-2013, 02:04
Are my search skills poor or do ppl not use them on the AT? I've seen posts about hanging your food, but I'm not a fan of that, not only because I don't like to toss my cookies (:p), but also because I don't like hiking with food that's easily accessed.

I realize that bear canisters can still attract bears (although I plan on lining it with an opsak). I've had a bear encounter, and mice encounters and a raccoon encounter (in my tent....my fault), and I'd really like to keep them away.

But hanging a bear canister is IMO, silly, as if they fall, they'll break...thus my choice would be to bury it nearby.

So what are your thoughts on bear canisters on the AT?

Hosaphone
02-24-2013, 02:10
You should probably consider all advice, solicited or otherwise. You will learn faster that way.

rocketsocks
02-24-2013, 02:17
Are my search skills poor or do ppl not use them on the AT? I've seen posts about hanging your food, but I'm not a fan of that, not only because I don't like to toss my cookies (:p), but also because I don't like hiking with food that's easily accessed.

I realize that bear canisters can still attract bears (although I plan on lining it with an opsak). I've had a bear encounter, and mice encounters and a raccoon encounter (in my tent....my fault), and I'd really like to keep them away.

But hanging a bear canister is IMO, silly, as if they fall, they'll break...thus my choice would be to bury it nearby.

So what are your thoughts on bear canisters on the AT?Hold the phone, your suggesting that a canister designed to withstand the terrific forces from Ursus Americanis would break if dislodged from it's lofty perch...come again! :welcome

But No, I don't use one, hope I don't ever have to.....most want to cut weight, not add. And as far as the bury-in thing, I'll let someone else beat ya up on that one.......

Trolling for dollars $22,000

evan_rolltide
02-24-2013, 02:22
Digging a hole to bury my food from bears each night??

Slo-go'en
02-24-2013, 02:29
If you use a certified bear proof canister, it is bear proof and does not need to be buried or hung. You do not need to line it with a opsak. In fact, a bear canister is required for a 5 mile streach of the AT between Springer Mt and Neels gap in GA. There have been several threads about that which should have come up.

Mountain Mike
02-24-2013, 02:31
Troll alert

rocketsocks
02-24-2013, 02:36
Why do trolls always play themselves, ya gotta hang, be chill, tell a few jokes.....then ya Zing em...but No No No you got it F****** wrong!..First you pump it up, then you fill the cup, then you drink it up...Kids!:D

rocketsocks
02-24-2013, 02:40

So what are your thoughts on bear canisters on the AT?Why can't I find more more posts re bear canisters on the AT

But to be fare, I'll answer the question; Cause No body want's to use them.....

Mountain Mike
02-24-2013, 02:56
True that nobody wants to use them, but search should have came up in Blood Mt zone. In my hiking I have learned that both hikers & bears are amateurs on AT. Out west bears have learned to fold car doors down, rip open trunks & even take a fall to break a branch to get food. I even had one friend woken up to a slicing sound & smelling bear breath in his tent when he used his food bag as a pillow.

Hopefully we can nip it in the butt before they learn out east, but fear to many lazy people will let bears learn people = food.

rocketsocks
02-24-2013, 03:08
True that nobody wants to use them, but search should have came up in Blood Mt zone. In my hiking I have learned that both hikers & bears are amateurs on AT. Out west bears have learned to fold car doors down, rip open trunks & even take a fall to break a branch to get food. I even had one friend woken up to a slicing sound & smelling bear breath in his tent when he used his food bag as a pillow.

Hopefully we can nip it in the butt before they learn out east, but fear to many lazy people will let bears learn people = food.Yep, it's harder to debrief a bear than it is to ring the dinner bell...hangin is probably the best answer....food that is, black gold Texas tea....never mind.

Mountain Mike
02-24-2013, 03:18
Most food bag hangs on AT look more like a bear smorgasbord. To low, close to tree, etc. A proper hang takes time. Not that much with practice, but we all get lazy.

Crusinsusan
02-24-2013, 03:50
wow. Nice. Didn't think I'd need my flame-saving undies. My bad.

erm.....but thanks slo-go'en.

So can't the bear smell the food in the canister? If so, then it doesn't go in the tent, right? I've read here somewhere that someone put their dirty clothes on top of their canister and kept it in their tent.

And if not in the tent, then outside, right? And different areas have suggestions/rules for the distance from the tent, yes? erm, slo-go'en?

rocketsocks
02-24-2013, 04:06
Well did you read this one? White Blaze search can be a bit tricky

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?72376-Bear-Remover&p=1154732&highlight=bear+cannisters#post1154732

jeffmeh
02-24-2013, 07:16
Bear canisters are not necessary on the AT, with the exception of the mandated 5 mi. stretch at Blood Mountain that is easily avoided by just walking through. Very few people carry bear canisters on the AT because they are heavy, bulky, and unnecessary.

There are many threads here containing religious arguments about how to deal with your food on the AT. At this point, bear canister devotees have not reached sufficient numbers to qualify.

Malto
02-24-2013, 08:17
Bear canisters are used on the AT because they rent required (other than blood Mtn) and because the need is not as great as it is out west.

canisters are design to survive being knocker around by bears. They are sized large enough to keeps bears from chewing into them. So hanging or burying is not needed.

Malto
02-24-2013, 08:18
Oops "not used" and "aren't required" in first sentence. Wow, I'm still asleep.

Red Hat
02-24-2013, 08:50
If you are not a troll, and are serious about carrying a bearcan, you don't hang it, you just place it somewhere so it won't roll away if I bear tries to get hold of it. That's what folks do out west where bear cans are required. near a tree, a rock, downed branches, etc. As others have said, the only required spot is 5 miles in GA. But if you feel more comfortable with a can than hanging, go for it.

Lone Wolf
02-24-2013, 08:53
So what are your thoughts on bear canisters on the AT?

they're not needed on the AT

Coffee
02-24-2013, 09:51
I have ordered a Bearikade for my upcoming John Muir Trail hike and I plan to use it for a section hike through the length of Shenandoah National Park this spring. Is it necessary? Probably not, but Shenandoah has a very high density of bears and I want to camp away from shelters when possible plus I would like to simulate the load I will carry on the JMT. So I'll use it. It is two pounds. If I was planning a AT thru I would not use a canister.

Hairbear
02-24-2013, 10:04
Bears bury there food because they prefer rotting meat to eat,you bury your food ,they will smell it.

hikerboy57
02-24-2013, 10:06
who buries food?

BirdBrain
02-24-2013, 10:09
You should probably consider all advice, solicited or otherwise. You will learn faster that way.

I will take my advice anyway I can get it. I am trying to cut down on salt though.

kayak karl
02-24-2013, 10:15
who buries food?
my dog, Kaia buries everything. even got my Igloo cooler half buried in backyard.:D

Lone Wolf
02-24-2013, 10:42
who buries food?

trolls.....

Capt Nat
02-24-2013, 10:47
To be effective, you have to bury your food at least six feet deep. The guides suggest you use a marker stone in order to facilitate retrieval. Not burying your food is foolish and irresponsible...

bigcranky
02-24-2013, 11:01
Have you tried digging a hole large enough for a bear canister? Might be doable in your back yard -- it's not even remotely possible in the woods. Too many roots and rocks. Canisters don't get buried anyway -- they get placed away from the campsite on the ground. Bears leave them alone because they can't get inside.

Not much chatter here about canisters on the AT since very few people use them. They really aren't necessary.

Rasty
02-24-2013, 12:55
To be effective, you have to bury your food at least six feet deep. The guides suggest you use a marker stone in order to facilitate retrieval. Not burying your food is foolish and irresponsible...

I bury myself and food every night. The bears dig me up every morning. I breathe through my bladder hose unless it gets frozen.

HikerMom58
02-24-2013, 13:11
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/Eloquent/miscgreen/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Capt Nat:1424891

I bury myself and food every night. The bears dig me up every morning. I breathe through my bladder hose unless it gets frozen.

But just in case the bear forgets to dig you up every morning, should we use a marker stone in order to facilitate retrieval that reads.... RIP Rasty?

BirdBrain
02-24-2013, 13:18

Now I need to check to see if this was posted in all the other relevant threads.
Don't bring a bear canister on the AT. A mouse canister might be more in order.
Last line posted to stay on topic. Haiku.

mrcoffeect
02-24-2013, 13:18
what if the bears dont dig you up? Do you take a zero? Im curious how this works. I might try this next time out. Im guessing I would'nt need to carry a tent or sleeping bag. that would offset the weight of my shovel (with the handle cut off) of course.
;)

rocketsocks
02-24-2013, 13:25
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/Eloquent/miscgreen/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Capt Nat:1424891

But just in case the bear forgets to dig you up every morning, should we use a marker stone in order to facilitate retrieval that reads.... RIP Rasty?Think the Moron brothers, 1980's, movie "Splash"

"Lets pee down his air hose"

FatHead64
02-24-2013, 13:51

That's what antifreeze is for:sun

evan_rolltide
02-24-2013, 14:18
This made me laugh really hard. Well done.

HikerMom58
02-24-2013, 14:37
Think the Moron brothers, 1980's, movie "Splash"

"Lets pee down his air hose"

Sounds like a plan RS... you get first dibs, tho, since you've already stated that you are good at hitting the target. ;)

Rasty
02-24-2013, 14:43
what if the bears dont dig you up? Do you take a zero? Im curious how this works. I might try this next time out. Im guessing I would'nt need to carry a tent or sleeping bag. that would offset the weight of my shovel (with the handle cut off) of course.
;)

That could be a problem but the AT is infested with gazillions of bears that can smell a pop tart from 18 miles away. They are extra fond of blueberry pop tarts as this is the natural diet of the Eastern Black bear. Make sure your handle is well coated with Vaseline if going this route.

Shovel handle of course!

jeffmeh
02-24-2013, 14:44
You know, from your sleeping quarters six feet down, if you tunneled all the way from Springer to Katahdin, you would cut some distance off the trip, given the curvature of the earth and all.

rocketsocks
02-24-2013, 14:46
Sounds like a plan RS... you get first dibs, tho, since you've already stated that you are good at hitting the target. ;)Yippy o, Yippy I, I hit the ol' bulls eye!..hehehe

rocketsocks
02-24-2013, 14:49
You know, from your sleeping quarters six feet down, if you tunneled all the way from Springer to Katahdin, you would cut some distance off the trip, given the curvature of the earth and all.What kinda blaze-in would that be...

Rasty
02-24-2013, 14:54
You know, from your sleeping quarters six feet down, if you tunneled all the way from Springer to Katahdin, you would cut some distance off the trip, given the curvature of the earth and all.

In theory that would work, but you will take a wrong turn in Albuquerque!

Rasty
02-24-2013, 14:55
What kinda blaze-in would that be...

Mole Blazing!

Storm
02-24-2013, 15:03

Dang, and I thought that was the catholes, no wonder I get so tired on a hike.

rocketsocks
02-24-2013, 15:13
That could be a problem but the AT is infested with gazillions of bears that can smell a pop tart from 18 miles away. They are extra fond of blueberry pop tarts as this is the natural diet of the Eastern Black bear. Make sure your handle is well coated with Vaseline if going this route.

Shovel handle of course!I carry a little hand sanitizer that atomizes when depressed. I add a few drops of Black Berry oil to the mix, and just a few squirts on the back of my buddy's neck at the first site of a bear insures my timely departure with out having to run :D

BirdBrain
02-24-2013, 15:15
I am yet to find a lightweight canister that I could fit a bear into.

Rasty
02-24-2013, 15:20
19945Found one for you!

I am yet to find a lightweight canister that I could fit a bear into.

rocketsocks
02-24-2013, 15:39
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiZBqAo38Lk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiZBqAo38Lk

I love this song!..."Teddy Bears Picnic"

jeffmeh
02-24-2013, 15:48
In theory that would work, but you will take a wrong turn in Albuquerque!

Wouldn't mind getting to Pismo Beach with all the clams you can eat....

jeffmeh
02-24-2013, 15:49
What kinda blaze-in would that be...

Coffin blazing?

Rasty
02-24-2013, 15:51
Wouldn't mind getting to Pismo Beach with all the clams you can eat....

Hassan Chop was my favorite episode!

Sandy of PA
02-25-2013, 10:31
I will admit I have actually carried a bear can over 800 miles on the AT! I am terrible at throwing rocks, and the canister prtects my food from everything not just bears. It also works as a stool, ice bucket in cheap motels, and laundry tub. You just put it outside the tent where it can't roll away easily. I do use Op-saks inside for waterproofness. I forgot to set it upsidedown on a rainy night and found water got in.

BirdBrain
02-25-2013, 11:20
I will admit I have actually carried a bear can over 800 miles on the AT! I am terrible at throwing rocks, and the canister prtects my food from everything not just bears. It also works as a stool, ice bucket in cheap motels, and laundry tub. You just put it outside the tent where it can't roll away easily. I do use Op-saks inside for waterproofness. I forgot to set it upsidedown on a rainy night and found water got in.

A monkey fist knot about the size of a baseball made out of clothesline weighs about 3 oz and is very easy to throw. Just a suggestion.

rocketsocks
02-25-2013, 11:44
Hassan Chop was my favorite episode!that'sfunny coming from a chef! Hehe i'dexpect no less
19946............and I see I blew the shift on that......(quote no quote)

rocketsocks
02-25-2013, 11:49
Coffin blazing?the low road trail

rocketsocks
02-25-2013, 11:50
I will admit I have actually carried a bear can over 800 miles on the AT! I am terrible at throwing rocks, and the canister prtects my food from everything not just bears. It also works as a stool, ice bucket in cheap motels, and laundry tub. You just put it outside the tent where it can't roll away easily. I do use Op-saks inside for waterproofness. I forgot to set it upsidedown on a rainy night and found water got in.good for making ice cream too

handlebar
02-26-2013, 13:18
There was an AT thru in '06 with the trial name Bear Can. He carried a cannister the whole 2175 mi. No one else I met carried a bear can. It isn't required. You can plan to walk thru the the "bear can required" area near Blood Mountain with some planning.

Although a bear can is multiuse, it makes a heavy option for a camp stool/food bag. Bear hanging line is much, much lighter.

Odd Man Out
02-26-2013, 14:23
...They are extra fond of blueberry pop tarts as this is the natural diet of the Eastern Black bear. ...

I was going to claim that there were not any real blueberries in a blueberry pop tart. But then I looked up the ingredient list and sure enough, it lists "dried blueberries", albeit rather far down the list. But to claim this is a bear's "natural diet" is a stretch, me thinks.:)

Rasty
02-26-2013, 15:12
I was going to claim that there were not any real blueberries in a blueberry pop tart. But then I looked up the ingredient list and sure enough, it lists "dried blueberries", albeit rather far down the list. But to claim this is a bear's "natural diet" is a stretch, me thinks.:)

They will go into town and raid for the Smore's version. Remember a feed bear is a dead bear. So Pop Tarts should be limmited to the cinnamon version, afterall who likes those?

BirdBrain
02-26-2013, 15:20
They will go into town and raid for the Smore's version. Remember a feed bear is a dead bear. So Pop Tarts should be limmited to the cinnamon version, afterall who likes those?

At the risk of sounding serious in a light heart discussion: Bears do what they are designed to do. Making food available to bears through actions or inaction puts hikers at risk and gets bears killed. I am not going down the road again of how to best protect the bears from this fate, but hikers should care enough about these animals to have an educated plan.

Rasty
02-26-2013, 15:25
At the risk of sounding serious in a light heart discussion: Bears do what they are designed to do. Making food available to bears through actions or inaction puts hikers at risk and gets bears killed. I am not going down the road again of how to best protect the bears from this fate, but hikers should care enough about these animals to have an educated plan.

So your saying that Pop Tarts are still OK or not OK?

BirdBrain
02-26-2013, 15:29
So your saying that Pop Tarts are still OK or not OK?

I am not sure if they are okay for bears or not, but they are an absolute must for me. By the way, although I live in Blueberryland, frosted cinnamon are my favorite. Thank you for rescuing me from my sinister serious side again.

Rasty
02-26-2013, 15:35
I am not sure if they are okay for bears or not, but they are an absolute must for me. By the way, although I live in Blueberryland, frosted cinnamon are my favorite. Thank you for rescuing me from my sinister serious side again.

For some reason I knew you would like frosted cinnamon!

BirdBrain
02-26-2013, 15:37
For some reason I knew you would like frosted cinnamon!

If I could find Seagull belly or chick ankle flavored.....

Crusinsusan
02-27-2013, 19:46

Thanks Sandy!....I'm glad to see I'm not the only one....opsak and all. I'll need one for other places I'll be, and it just makes me feel more secure. Weight and all.

bigcranky
02-27-2013, 21:06
Frosted cinnamon are my wife's favorite. I think they are, um, a little dry. Love the frosted raspberry but my local store doesn't carry them.

Pop Tarts are just so great when they are crushed into a gooey mass inside my food bag, and I can pull off little random bits for second breakfast. :)