PDA

View Full Version : Seeking advice on tents

arrow188
02-24-2013, 09:50
Hello. I was wondering if anyone had some advice about shopping for 1 person tents for a thru-hike. I'm new to backpacking. Any suggestions on tent models/brands would be highly appreciated! I'm looking to spend no more than $200, hopefully quite a bit less. Also, are there any specs I should be particularly interested in? What's a good lightweight weight range, and is it important to have a freestanding tent? Thank you!

poopsy
02-24-2013, 10:48
I like these open ended things. It seems like you have started thinking about specifics. There is no simple answer to this question. Everything is a trade-off. You need a lightweight tent but you also need to figure out what you really want because everything has weight ramifications: Do i need to manage insects, a bug net? How will I manage interior condensation? How many seasons will I be out in and what kind of weather? Will I be hiking with poles? How much interior room do I need? How much privacy? What about a hammock? Once you have these questions straight then I suggest you go to : http://www.tenpoundbackpack.com/gear-lists/tents. This listing has over 600 tents to compare based on your previous answers.

BTW I bought a Lightheart Solo last year on sale for $199. Very pleased. You should also know that I have been living in tents for 55 years for up to 8 months per year in climates ranging form desert to the high arctic. I was a prospector and still am an avid canoist.

Good Luck!

garlic08
02-24-2013, 10:58
Some inexpensive and light hybrid tarptents are available at www.tarptent.com and other similar vendors. I've been using a Contrail for many seasons.

bobp
02-24-2013, 10:59
It depends on how big you are and how claustrophobic you are, as well as how enclosed you want to be. The lightest way to go is with a tarp or a tarp-tent. If there is a floor, it is not connected to the fly, or it is loosely connected. Tarps are very configurable, offer a lot of flexibility, and are very light. The level of weather protection varies, largely with the method and quality of set-up. Tarps require some skill and expertise to use effectively. In general, tarps and tarp-tents are lighter than tents.

On the tent side, you have overgrown bivy sacks, like the Eureka Solitaire/Gossamer, collections of pointy triangles like the Sierra Designs Light Year 1, Kelty Dart, Eureka Spitfire, etc., and more conventional tents, like the Eureka Backcountry 1, the Kelty Gunnison 1.1, etc. My 3 categories are given in rough order of weight. If you aren't claustrophobic, are under 6'5", and don't need to sit up in your tent, the overgrown bivy sacks will work. They are light and compact (2.5 to 3 lbs), so you can use a smaller pack (decreasing base weight even more).

The other tent categories have weights from 3.5 lbs to 5 or so.

Freestanding tents tend to weigh more than others. Freestanding tents work in places where you can't sink stakes. The importance of this feature depends on how likely you will be to be camping in an area where you can't figure out a way to anchor the tent.

With your budget, you have a lot of options, so you should find something that suits you.

Starchild
02-24-2013, 11:04
I just got the zPack Heximed 1p with the 1+ floor, with stakes and strings and the bag (which I'm not certain I'm taking), it comes to 16.7oz. I have just set it up inside and feel it is my tent for this year, and is also my luxury item in terms of light weight luxury. Something to be aware of cuban fiber is translucent so semi see through, I just never had such a tent so it will be a bit of adjustment I would guess and how will bright moon lit nights effect sleep.

capehiker
02-24-2013, 11:15
Once you have these questions straight then I suggest you go to : http://www.tenpoundbackpack.com/gear-lists/tents. This listing has over 600 tents to compare based on your previous answers.

Awesome link. Thanks. Just when I think I know what I want to upgrade to, I find something that may be more suitable. LOL.

leaftye
02-24-2013, 11:22
Tarptent Contrail

BFI
02-24-2013, 11:40
Hubba one person is my vote for an all round hiking tent.

Steve Jennette
02-24-2013, 11:46
I don't know if it is still made, but Six Moons Wild Oasis worked great for me on a long section hike. 11.5 oz, including six stakes....and seam sealed. Floor less, uses hiking pole.

jeffmeh
02-24-2013, 12:50
Definitely explore:

http://www.tarptent.com/
http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/
http://www.lightheartgear.com/
http://www.zpacks.com/

The first two have options within your stated budget.

Praha4
02-24-2013, 12:53
Tarptent Notch.

as an option you can remove the floor/net, and just use it as a tarp.

SoCalled
02-24-2013, 12:53
You said no more than 200$.

You also said "new to backpacking".

I would forget open tarps for now since the learning curve for the setup is a little difficult. I would also forget UL somewhat fragile tents with complicated maintenance like seam sealing. For now. You have to start like everybody did and get a less expensive but tought well made no frills tent, even if it mean it will be a little heavier. Some are excellent shelters with great reviews, weight around 2.5-3 lbs (not UL but still very manageable). I carried one for years. Some of these tents are : Eureka Spitfire (120$) (great reviews), Mountain Hardwear Sprite 1 (130$) (looks perfect), NorthFace Mica 1 (160$) (great free standing and sturdy). Rei Chrysalis (? Read good reviews but dont know this one).

Basic line : You should be on the trails learning and getting experience with good, tought, sturdy material. Light. NOT lightest. Not now.

q-tip
02-24-2013, 12:54
Here are some pics-I use the Tarp Tent Contrail (25 oz.) as my go-to shelter for long distance -I use the Wild Oasis Tarp (15 oz.) for shorter hikes. Treating with silicone spray really helps performance.

SoCalled
02-24-2013, 13:07
Btw, my tent is a contrail. I definitely wouldnt lend it to a beginner.

And its the most simple of em all.

UL is a process. You will read people here talking about tent pegs for hours. You should be on the trails. Not the forums. Gaining experience. Thats what you need.

jeffmeh
02-24-2013, 13:17
I would concur that properly pitching a tarp under varyious circumstances requires some good skills, but I would not discourage the OP from looking at tarptents. Operating them is not rocket science, nor is seam-sealing. I would encourage some experimentation in the back yard in the rain before heading out to the backcountry.

Slo-go'en
02-24-2013, 13:19
Free standing tents have the advantage that you can pick them up and move them if you don't like the spot you set up on. That can make finding just the right spot to lay down easier. They also have an advantage on the tent platforms common in New Hampshire. You do have to remember to stake them down if it is windy, or they can blow away if there is nothing inside to hold them down. The disadvantage is there is a weight penalty and there is always a chance you might loose or break a pole.

Personally, since I use trekking poles, I use tents which use the poles as the support. This saves some weight and reduces the number of things I need to keep track of. I recently bought a Six Moon Design Skyscape Trekker. I can't wait to try it out on the trail. I really like the A frame design as it gives pleanty of head room to sit up and elbow room to change shirts. However, it is $25 more than what you want to spend.

SoCalled
02-24-2013, 13:26
@jeffmeh

Not even one single season of learning and practice ? Before stepping in with a fragile silnylon condensation inclined TT ?

You know what ? Im starting to think hammock would be a better place to start than UL tents.

Old Hiker
02-24-2013, 13:44
http://www.amazon.com/ALPS-Mountaineering-Zephyr-Backpacking-Tent/dp/B000MATC52/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1361727525&sr=8-2&keywords=alps+zephyr

1st "real" backpacking tent I had - used it for several week long section hikes with the Scout Troop. Went back to this from a hammock in the cold, blowing rain on the AT. Little less than 4 pounds - NOT UL, but very good, inexpensive (not cheap) tent. Bought a second one, just for a back-up at the time. Free-standing, pick it up to move or shake out in the morning.

Also have an ALPS Mystique - http://www.amazon.com/ALPS-Mountaineering-Mystique-1-0-Tent/dp/B00BI30F4E/ref=sr_1_4?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1361727796&sr=1-4&keywords=alps+mystique+1.0

Not as much room as my Zephyr, though.

Went to a Lightheart Gear SoLong 6 for realsies.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?86824-LightHeart-Gear-SoLong-6-First-Impressions

Good luck. Learn from this web-site and hammock forums, it that's the way you decide to go.

rocketsocks
02-24-2013, 13:44
@jeffmeh

Not even one single season of learning and practice ? Before stepping in with a fragile silnylon condensation inclined TT ?

You know what ? Im starting to think hammock would be a better place to start than UL tents.
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?92740-FS-NEW-TarpTent-Sublite-Sil

Two ships in the night, happens all the time!

BirdBrain
02-24-2013, 13:51
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?92740-FS-NEW-TarpTent-Sublite-Sil

Hope 1 of them has radar.

rocketsocks
02-24-2013, 13:55
Hope 1 of them has radar.Too funny, it's a tailor fit

Dodds1990
02-24-2013, 14:01
Like the 2 above me posted, I have a TarpTent Sublite Sil for sale, brand new. Check out the post:

SoCalled
02-24-2013, 14:15

Im not sure I understand what you mean. You are ok with the idea a zero experienced but well intentioned kid order UL tent as his first shelter "for a thru-hike" ?

Dodds1990
02-24-2013, 14:20
Im not sure I understand what you mean. You are ok with the idea a zero experienced but well intentioned kid order UL tent as his first shelter "for a thru-hike" ?

I hiked with a kid last year who never hiked a day in his life and he used the Contrail and was fine. Tarp tents are easy to set up.

SoCalled
02-24-2013, 14:26
I hiked with a kid last year who never hiked a day in his life and he used the Contrail and was fine. Tarp tents are easy to set up.

"hike with" are the most important words here.

He wasnt alone and can get help. But on a forum, a kid seeking a "solo" tent can arguably go for a hike ... alone.

jeffmeh
02-24-2013, 14:35
Hey, I'm not suggesting that he take it up into the White Mountains this weekend for his maiden voyage, lol. I'm maintaining that if he does some research and has a modicum of common sense, then he can figure out how to use a tarptent, and not have to start with a heavier tent that he may not ultimately want. Past that, I will let him make his own judgments.

Old Hiker
02-24-2013, 14:51

Hope 1 of them has radar.

One could be a submarine.

SoCalled
02-24-2013, 15:26
Submarine here.

As a first tent for a kid new to backpacking : Eureka Spitfire 1.

No frills. Solid. No maintenance. Pack and go. Throw in the closet when back home. 120$ max.

Beat the hell out of it for one year, learn, and sell it 50$ next year and then buy whatever you want.

Rasty
02-24-2013, 15:32

Yes! Why go through the hassle of a heavier tent as a first tent. Seam sealing is straight forward and learning to deal with condensation only requires about 2 minutes of learning. It is a tent not changing a timing belt on a car.

SoCalled
02-24-2013, 15:36
http://sectionhiker.com/eureka-spitfire-tent-ultralight-goes-mainstream/

bfayer
02-24-2013, 15:50
My Tarp Tent is one of the easiest tents to set up that I have ever owned.

I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone that I thought would put some thought into taking care of a lightweight tent.

I know people that have been backpacking for years that I would never recommend a lightweight tent to, because they don't take care of their stuff.

There is nothing special about a Tarp Tent that makes it hard to use.

arrow188
02-24-2013, 18:36
Thanks everyone! All this information is extremely helpful. In looking at all of the websites you all recommended, I came across the Six Moon Designs Skyscape Scout tent ($125, 34oz, great reviews). Does anyone have any personal experience with this tent or any comments on it? Also, the Six Moon Designs Skyscape Trekker is $100 more but 10 oz lighter--is it worth the extra cost? In theory, I like the set up of these tents because they use hiking poles for their support structures, and since I am planning on using hiking poles, that means I don't have to carry the extra weight of tent poles. Any thoughts on this? Thanks again!

SoCalled
02-24-2013, 18:39
Im sorry to be a bit against the current here, but if we try to see the big picture, arrow188 says that hes new to backpacking, implying that he do not possess any UL gears right now.

Carrying a 653g tent in a 4-5 lbs backpack is pointless (just think about it for 3 seconds). Moreover, these tents do require some cares I wasnt willing to manage when I was a kid myself, looking for fun and adventures with my buds.

The Eureka Spitfire is far far (far) from a hassle on weight. It is very, very light for what it is. I carried one for many years. And reviews, from knowledgeable guys, are excellent concidering its price point (120$). It is, in my opinion, a very good first shelter. Just read the review from Section Hiker (link above).

Thx.

bfayer
02-24-2013, 19:33
I see nothing pointless about saving weight where you can, if the gear meets your needs, you can afford to buy it, and you are able to take care of it.

I have some 12 year old Boy Scouts that take better care of their equipment than most middle age adults, so age is not the issue. What is the issue is if the OP understands the limitations of lightweight gear and is willing to deal with the extra care needed to hike with lightweight gear. Only the OP knows that.

Most on here have been through more than a few pieces of gear, and spent way more money than we needed, only to find out we should have bought the lightweight one first.

If the OP understands the limitations, and feels they can care for the gear, why try to talk them out of it?

leaftye
02-24-2013, 20:16

I am, in the context of going on a thru hike. Are you okay with a zero experienced kid going on a thru hike?

leaftye
02-24-2013, 20:20
Thanks everyone! All this information is extremely helpful. In looking at all of the websites you all recommended, I came across the Six Moon Designs Skyscape Scout tent ($125, 34oz, great reviews). Does anyone have any personal experience with this tent or any comments on it? Also, the Six Moon Designs Skyscape Trekker is $100 more but 10 oz lighter--is it worth the extra cost? In theory, I like the set up of these tents because they use hiking poles for their support structures, and since I am planning on using hiking poles, that means I don't have to carry the extra weight of tent poles. Any thoughts on this? Thanks again!

The value of the more expensive tent is up to you. Add up the weight of all your gear, or of all the gear you're thinking about getting, and see if you need to save that extra 10 ounces. Another way to think about it is that if you save the weight now, you won't have to buy a second tent later to save the weight.

Being able to use gear for more than one purpose, and reducing redundancy, is a key part of reducing pack weight. That's why tarp tents like the Skyscape and Contrail are beloved by long distance trekkers. It's great that you're already thinking this way.

Odd Man Out
02-24-2013, 20:29
I think it might also be useful for a beginner to realize that people here are using the phrase "tarp tent" two different ways. Taprtent is a company that was pioneering in the production of innovative, very lightweight, single wall backpacking tents. They are very popular and well reviewed. Many of the tents recommended on this thread are from Tarptent.

http://www.tarptent.com/

However, some now use this phrase generically to refer to shelters (made by any of several companies) that are a hybrid between a traditional tent and a tarp with some being more tarp-like and others being more tent-like. I suppose Tarptent is a victim of its own success as it seems to be losing its trademark (like Kleenex and Jello did). I suppose one could argue that the difference in spelling between "Tarptent" and "tarp tent" would clarify the different meanding, but for many I suspect that distinction is lost.

Franco
02-24-2013, 20:33
What's a good lightweight weight range, and is it important to have a freestanding tent?

I see setting up a shelter the same way I see swimming or playing a musical instrument.
Some people can do it almost instinctively others can try and try but never really get it.
( I neither can swim nor play a musical instrument but I can set up some of those "hard" to do shelters in a minute or two...)
Most here tend to think that it just has to do with experience yet it isn't all that uncommon for me to see very experienced hikers that can barely set up a freestanding tent, never mind a tarp.
Same goes for where the tent is set up. To say you should be able to do it anywhere is to me like saying you should be able to build on sand or swamp land....
So my suggestion would be to first have a play with a cheap tarp at home.
(could be an old bed sheet)
If guyline placement and correct staking is easy to you, go ahead with a tarp/ tarp tent if not stick to a freestanding type.

bigcranky
02-24-2013, 21:02
When I saw your post this morning, I was going to suggest the Skyscape. SMD makes good tents, though I haven't used that particular model. 34 ounces is a reasonable weight for a tent, especially for that price. It'll take some experience to use it properly, but you'll get that experience on the trail, same as learning everything else.

It's just walking :)

Have a great hike.

SoCalled
02-25-2013, 01:59
A link I found in my "favorites", its a quick overview of about all interresting solo shelters options with quick comparison points. Very well done.

http://www.verber.com/mark/outdoors/gear/shelter.html

Thx

daddytwosticks
02-25-2013, 08:17
Agree about the Eureka Spitfire. Good value for the money. :)

arrow188
02-25-2013, 19:20
Thanks everyone! All this info is very helpful.

Spaghetti O's
03-15-2013, 20:53
I just purchased a Spitfire 2 for my 10yr old daughter and I to begin backpacking. Glad to see so many good comments about it. Even though I am new to backpacking, 4lbs seemed reasonable for a 2 person tent. The best part is that it was an open box clearance for $97.99.

bedarda
03-26-2013, 16:11
The Big Agnes Lone Spring 1 (HumbleOutdoors $170 w/free footprint) comes in at around 4lbs. It has a side door. Big Agnes has decent customer service. So the Lone Spring is not a super light, but the quality and name-brand are pluses.

carophil
06-07-2013, 16:06
i've used the eureka spitfire 1 with good results - it's a pretty inexpensive and lightweight tent, especially if you ditch the crappy stakes it comes with for some titanium stakes.

Rick Hancock
06-07-2013, 16:21
Take a look at the fairly new LL Bean 1 Man Free Standing Tent. Slightly over 2lbs., free standing, fair amount of interior space, enter from the side, small vestibule, I think it's made by Big Agnes for Bean. I don't often use tents as I mainly tarp or just camp under the stars but I've used it 2-3 times and was very happy with the performance. Coat is about $169 but with their percent off sales I got mine for less than $140. Good tent , I'm pleased with the purchase. I'll mainly use it for summer bike trips.
Rick