PDA

View Full Version : TUNA in Water Pouch vs Tuna in Oil Can

wsjackson179
02-24-2013, 14:21
So I always got Tuna in Oil to make my Mac N Cheese, however my grocery store has stopped carrying the pouches and only has the can. Do you think it's worth the weight saving to switch to the Pouches of Tuna and water or should I just stick with the Can.

kayak karl
02-24-2013, 14:34
there really isn't that much of a difference. weight 2 packets against 1 can. about .4 oz difference. i carry what i LIKE to eat, not by the weight.

peakbagger
02-24-2013, 14:41
I use the pouches mostly because I can cut the weight of the resulting trash by burning them in a hot fire and of course removing the foil that is left over. Burning out a tuna can also works to get rid of the smell but the volume occupied in the trash bag stays the same. If you are a near a legit place to dump trash soon its not an issue but if you have to haul it for a few warm days, tuna container in general can really stink.

10-K
02-24-2013, 15:21
The water pouches turn into tuna bricks if it gets below freezing.

SunnyWalker
02-24-2013, 16:27
wsjackson: The advantage of the pouches is you do not need a can opener. AND I think the empty pouch is lighter than the empty can and lid.

kayak karl
02-24-2013, 18:14
The water pouches turn into tuna bricks if it gets below freezing. tuck them in your briefs or in the top of you socks with your backup lithium batteries :)

yellowsirocco
02-24-2013, 18:24
wsjackson: The advantage of the pouches is you do not need a can opener. AND I think the empty pouch is lighter than the empty can and lid.

a can opener is not a big deal

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P-38_can_opener

max patch
02-24-2013, 18:28
i carry what i LIKE to eat, not by the weight.

Yup.........

RodentWhisperer
02-24-2013, 19:12
Weight is one thing. Odor control is another. A can filled with fish and oil, once open, is something bears can smell a mile away (no exaggeration). It's hard to keep your pots, spork and trash bag from smelling like it, too. Believe me: I'm so in favor of the nutritional benefits of fish packed in olive oil, but I sacrifice it when heading into the backcountry.

If bears aren't your concern: every time I've been out and have opened a can of fish in oil, within 2 minutes I've been buzzed by yellowjackets.

Hairbear
02-24-2013, 20:08
tuck them in your briefs or in the top of you socks with your backup lithium batteries :)
Im afraid if i did that my new trail name would be squats to pee.