PDA

View Full Version : SOBO in early July!

Bbennett
02-24-2013, 15:44
Hi all,

My name is Blake and I'm new to this forum and to backpacking. Although a backpacking novice, I am an outdoor enthusiast (i.e. mountain biking, trail running, and surfing to name a few). I just moved to Brookfield, Ct from the Virgin Islands and am in need of an adventure. I recently decided that I want to hike the appalachian trail southbound, planning to start in late June or early July. Looking for some like-minded individuals to share and, at least, start the experience with. I recently earned a bachelors in marine biology and feel the need to undertake a life-changing and enlightening escapade. So, let me know if you have any tips, interest in joining me, or similar plans!

Appreciate it, Blake

TJ aka Teej
02-24-2013, 15:48
Welcome to Whiteblaze!
You'll want to firm up your start date and make a reservation at Katahdin Stream Campground for the nights before and after your climb.
Be sure to read this forum, there's a ton of good info here!

Bbennett
02-24-2013, 15:52
Thanks!

I heard its wiser to leave your pack at the bottom and come back for it after the climb. I'm just starting to plan it all out and haven't gotten my itinerary together yet. How long does that portion take?

BirdBrain
02-24-2013, 16:34
Thanks!

I heard its wiser to leave your pack at the bottom and come back for it after the climb. I'm just starting to plan it all out and haven't gotten my itinerary together yet. How long does that portion take?

5.2 miles up. If you travel light and get there early you could go across Knife Edge down south of Chimney Pond over Hamlin Ridge and back down part of Hunt Trail. About a 16 mile loop. Traveling light it should be doable and provide nice views of Baxter.

Bbennett
02-24-2013, 19:10
5.2 miles up. If you travel light and get there early you could go across Knife Edge down south of Chimney Pond over Hamlin Ridge and back down part of Hunt Trail. About a 16 mile loop. Traveling light it should be doable and provide nice views of Baxter.

Very cool. Thanks a lot!

Andrew Ferk
02-25-2013, 21:27
Hi Blake,

I'm looking to start the first weekend in July. I currently have no group to start with, but I've read that starting on the weekend, you'll probably also start with others. But it would be great to actually have a confirmation that I would be starting with at least one other individual. I live in Minnesota and have almost no hiking or backpacking experience, but I'm in good to great shape, and plan to be in even better shape by July. I'll be graduating with my Master's in May, wrapping up a contract job in June, and terminating my lease. So, this is perfect timing to take advantage of the six month break before I have to start paying back the government for my student loans :)

I hope to see you on the trail. If anyone else may be considering starting around this time (I may be flexible, please ping me).

Regards,
Andrew

Blissful
02-25-2013, 21:42

I wouldn't do a hike like that starting a major thru hike SOBO but that's me. Some guys I knew raced down the trail and then had blown out knees later on their southbound doing too much too soon. It's not as easy as it sounds

Blissful
02-25-2013, 21:44
I can tell you, "great shape" does not mean you are in great shape to backpack over the hardest part of the AT - ME and NH. Don't be overly ambitious. The trail is tough, tough. After you clear the Whites of NH, then put on speed. And then you can proudly proclaim you are in great shape.

Andrew Ferk
02-26-2013, 10:08
I can tell you, "great shape" does not mean you are in great shape to backpack over the hardest part of the AT - ME and NH. Don't be overly ambitious. The trail is tough, tough. After you clear the Whites of NH, then put on speed. And then you can proudly proclaim you are in great shape.
You're absolutely right. I was pretty cocky/confident last night; probably because I was so excited that I finally committed to starting. I regret saying great shape. Maybe OK to good shape :) Either way, walking miles upon miles, in all types of weather, with 40 lbs, for 5 months or so... well, it scares me a little, and it's difficult to imagine. It gives me the chills actually.

Lone Wolf
02-26-2013, 10:16

big difference between 26 and 50

HikerMom58
02-26-2013, 10:46
You're absolutely right. I was pretty cocky/confident last night; probably because I was so excited that I finally committed to starting. I regret saying great shape. Maybe OK to good shape :) Either way, walking miles upon miles, in all types of weather, with 40 lbs, for 5 months or so... well, it scares me a little, and it's difficult to imagine. It gives me the chills actually.

That sounds a lil more realistic! You're OK! :) Hopefully your pack will weigh less than 40lbs. fully loaded. :0) Seems like Bbennett could make a nice hiking buddy for you... hope it works out. If you guys want to ask a thru hiker any question .... pyroman9 is a member here, he hiked the trail in 2012.... this is his thread title.
Are you ready for your thru hike? Need help - Stop in!Ask away!! pyroman9- aka Bomber is more than willing to help you out in any way he can.

Moosky
02-26-2013, 10:54
Hello! My name is moosky. I haven't committed yet, but if my business school application goes as planned, I will start sobo in the first week of July. Hope to see you on the trail!

k2basecamp
02-26-2013, 10:56
Yes, i did 332 miles southbound from Katahdin to Washington in 2011 and started on July 27th exactly 30 years after I completed my thru hike. It was a lot harder this time but I averaged about 15 per day. Sadly many of the shelters had been replaced or removed (Joes Hole Brook). I also found that I really didnt like staying at the shelters - only stayed in 3 the entire trip.

What i missed the most was the abandoned camp at Antlers camp on Jo Mary Lake !

It will be hard until Moosilaukee. I suggest subtracting 3-5 miles per day from your planned mileage until then. This will make your start more enjoyable and also prevent overuse injuries like stress fracturesand shin splints. After Moosilaukee you you can crank your miles up.

Also i wouldnt be looking to join up with a group right off you need to set your own pace, take care of inevitable blisters and gear issues. Groups usually find themselves as you put the miles behind you.

Best of luck with your adventure !

BirdBrain
02-26-2013, 11:08

Very cool. Thanks a lot!

I wouldn't do a hike like that starting a major thru hike SOBO but that's me. Some guys I knew raced down the trail and then had blown out knees later on their southbound doing too much too soon. It's not as easy as it sounds

Personal preference there. That is the start of our hike this year. I figure it this way: You are going to be averaging 15 miles per day for the next 5 or 6 months with a full pack on your back. A 1 day loop with the reward of some of the best views of the trail carrying a minimal pack should be doable. JMHO

Bbennett
02-28-2013, 08:34
Thanks for all the feedback everyone! This has made me even more stoked! Andrew, we will be in touch.