PDA

View Full Version : What you could not take with you??

SunnyWalker
02-24-2013, 17:05
Tell us what you could not take with you on the trail(CDT, AT, PCT). You have to actually have had it and then left the item home because of weight, etc. Please keep it to tangible items, ok?

My son-in-law (great guy) gave me a Gerber machete. It is AWESOME! Big ole black thing lets see the blade is approximaely 12 inches long. On top side of the blade it is sawtooth so I guess one could saw trees down?!? It came with this exceptionally nice looking sheath made of cordura. It attaches to a belt and I guess one could put it on the pack kind of like Eli. The handle is made from kind of a rubber feeling type of plastic-it may be rubber. Then there is a short lanyard. Cool!! I love it!!! Can't take it!! My son in law was asking me about taking a gun? Bears? Being robbed? Taking a knife for self-protection??!?! Etc. He is a great guy but has never really done any hiking or backpacking. Maybe the thing will fit in my bounce box, yet I hate to pay the postage. I might get some photos of me using it and send them home to him he'd like that. I know what I can do. I can make a run to the woods around here, build a fire and get some photos. Wait and send them while I am on the trail and leave the thing home!! Ha, ha! What do you have you thought twice about and couldn't bring yourself to carry in the pack? Or what was the "gift" YOUR relative or friend gave you that was not feasible for your thru-hike? :D

PosterNutbag
02-24-2013, 20:10
Dude just tell him your not bringing it!

10-K
02-24-2013, 20:27
On my last hike I was leaving the grocery store where I had just bought enough resupply for 5 days and my pack was loaded to the max. A little old lady saw me and gave me a bag of apples.

They wouldn't fit in my pack and I didn't want to refuse them so I put both hiking poles in one hand and walked off carrying the bag of apples. As soon as I got in the woods I tossed them, hoping birds, deers or whatever would eat them.

SunnyWalker
02-25-2013, 16:13
10-K, You didn't even eat one? It must have been the junk food she saw you purchase??!?!!!!!

10-K
02-25-2013, 16:19
I had just finished a fried chicken gizzard dinner With mash potatoes and macaroni and cheese. And a cherry danish and chocolate milk for dessert.

I was already about the bust. :)

SunnyWalker
02-25-2013, 16:49
Sounds good, except for the gizzards. Never could like the taste of chicken gizzards. I always wanted to ask you is that your pet dog in the photo on your dealiebob there?(Can't remember the name of those things, right this second. My wife says I have creeping alzhiemers). German Shepherd? Looks like a well trained dog. Hike with you?

10-K
02-25-2013, 16:58
That's my best buddy Drake, the rescue shepherd. He's about 9 so I only take him on short overnightrrs.

He's amazing. Stays on the trail right with me, doesn't bark, bite, or annoy anyone - just likes to walk.

At the risk of sounding like a kook, he's probably my best friend. I love my pal.

10-K
02-25-2013, 18:05
Here's a better picture. :)

garlic08
02-25-2013, 18:23
I always cringe when someone gives me "something for the trail." Like a collapsible grill, but I don't make fires or even eat meat and fires are mostly illegal out West here anyway these days. Or a new headlamp that clips on a billed cap and I don't wear a billed cap. I feel your pain--it's hard to disappoint the gift giver and I've done it.

handlebar
02-26-2013, 13:05
On the CDT, I stayed with a trail angel near Silverton. "Wiffer" snuck a half liter of wine in a glass bottle into my pack when she drove me back to Stony Pass. I didn't notice the extra weight until I made camp that night. With dinner, I threw away (drank) the wine, but I was stuck with the bottle until I hitched into Lake City.

SunnyWalker
02-26-2013, 23:54
Oh 10-K, be sure to put that photo over on the Dog Photo thread!

SunnyWalker
02-26-2013, 23:56
OHHHHHHHHHHHH I see Handlebar! Ha,ha! Kept the glass for a souvenir?!

burrito
02-27-2013, 11:36
i just had a moving sale in order to start my at thru hike, at least 50%of the items were well intentioned gifts that were totally inappropriate for a backpacker

as far as leaving something behind, its usually that extra 'just in case'" piece of clothing

NeanderJoel
02-28-2013, 01:30
I met a couple in a pub in Wind Gap, PA who invited me back to their house. They were really kind and kept feeding me beers so when they handed me an old original gameboy for the trail, I couldn't say no. It was fun for a while but it weighed over a pound so when I reached the next town where I left it in the hiker hostel for other people to play with.

SunnyWalker
03-01-2013, 22:13
A Gameboy!?!!?! Cool! They must have thought you needed entertainment on the trail. Nice people.

Wise Old Owl
03-01-2013, 22:35
chocolate and a tent... whay!