PDA

View Full Version : Best UL Backpacking Tent?

T-Rx
02-24-2013, 20:19
I am considering buying a tent for my wife and I to use on our AT trip. I have always been a hammock hanger so I am looking for feedback from experienced tent sleepers. I am looking at 3 person tents for the 2 of us because i am a big guy and would like the extra room. I have done a little bit of homework and 2 tents have caught my attention. They are the Tarptent Rainshadow and the BA Fly Creek UL 3. Any feedback on the merits of one tent versus the other, single wall versus double wall, waterproof abilities, ventilation, ease of set up/take down and warmth are welcomed and appreciated. If there are other tent suggestions please speak up.

bigcranky
02-24-2013, 20:26
We owned a Rainshadow. Nice tent - lots of room. Very easy to set up and lots of ventilation. It actually sleeps three adults. We sold it when our daughter stopped hiking with us. The one thing I did not like was the one door at the head end.

Now we have a Six Moons Designs Lunar Duo. It's a 2-person model, but it has a HUGE amount of interior volume, two doors on the long sides, and two large vestibules. Weighs about 2.5 pounds. Love it.

G-FOURce
02-24-2013, 20:29
I have a Rainshadow 2, also, and its great. It has a ton of room and pitches easily. I dont mind the head at the door, but I know a lot of folks dont care for it. With only two people in the tent it shouldnt be a problem at all.

HeartFire
02-24-2013, 20:30
Have you looked at the LightHeart Duo? (shameless plug here) www.lightheartgear.com

bfayer
02-24-2013, 20:38
... (shameless plug here)...

Yes it was :)

I have a Rainshadow 2 that I bought to use with my kids, it is a very good tent and cant go wrong with it. I also have a BA FC2, again great tent, a little on the short side if you are tall like me, but still a great tent if it fits you. The Rainshadow 2 is much larger than the FC3.

The thing that I did not like about both of the above is the front entry. A side entry is much more user friendly.

I also have a LightHeart Solong 6 (very similar to the Duo), and it is outstanding in every way. I have not had that many chances to use it, but so far, it's two thumbs up. The Solong 6 is almost a 2 person, and has as much usable room as the FC2, but is much longer.

Aquaman12
02-25-2013, 11:53
My wife and I were also hammockers. We decided to switch to a tent so we could sleep close together. It also could be hard to find a place to hang two hammocks together. We ended up buying the Lightheart Cuben Solong 6. It can be a 2 person tent as long as you dont mind getting close at night. That being said Im 5'9" and my wife is 5'6" and 130-145lb each so we dont really push the tents limits in that sense. Its easy to setup and has lots of mesh. I havent weighed it yet but im guessing its about 26oz. We ended up getting 2 doors with an awning on both sides. You could also check out the Duo.

G-FOURce
02-25-2013, 13:21
if the weather holds for a few more hours i will pitch my Rainshadow and post pics for you. i've been meaning to do it anyway, so today is as good a day as any...

Bags4266
02-25-2013, 13:29
I too have the RS-2 and bought it for the same reason your looking for one, only thing as w/all single wall tents is the condensation from time to time.

G-FOURce
02-25-2013, 13:54
I too have the RS-2 and bought it for the same reason your looking for one, only thing as w/all single wall tents is the condensation from time to time.

do you sleep three in it or two? i havent had a chance to use mine yet and i am a little concerned about how much condensation will settle when three people are in it. my son and i slept in our BD Betalite on a cold evening with no rain and there was zero condensation at all. i am hoping that the Rainshadow will perform similarly in the same conditions with three of us in there.

bfayer
02-25-2013, 14:23
do you sleep three in it or two? i havent had a chance to use mine yet and i am a little concerned about how much condensation will settle when three people are in it. my son and i slept in our BD Betalite on a cold evening with no rain and there was zero condensation at all. i am hoping that the Rainshadow will perform similarly in the same conditions with three of us in there.

I know the question was not directed at me, but the only time condensation has been an issue with me is one time when we were set up on grass, and closed it up pretty tight due to weather.

I'm not saying that I have not had condensation, every tent has condensation, its just not as big an issue as some make it out to be. Keep the tent as open as possible and it will be minimized.

Mags
02-25-2013, 14:36
Mrs Mags and I like our Lunar Duo. (http://www.pmags.com/gear-review-six-moon-designs-lunar-duo) Don't know it is "the best", but it works well for us.

tarantolk
02-25-2013, 15:02
My bf & I have the nemo obi 2 & love it, we're using it for our AT thru this year. Last Oct we tested it at letchworth state park for two nights in pouring rain & cold, it was great.

Bags4266
02-25-2013, 18:06
G-Force, its was only the two of us and it doesn't happen all the time

rocketsocks
02-25-2013, 19:07
Man, I go back and forth on this one. My next purchase will be a tent....which one! I thought I was sold on the Contrail, but seem to be swaying towards a more open sided tent...kinda like the hexamid, then that starts me thinking, why not just go with a tarp and call it good. I'm pretty sure a free standing model I've taken off the table...but I just haven't decided yet...hope this helps.:D

G-FOURce
02-26-2013, 20:54
G-Force, its was only the two of us and it doesn't happen all the time

Gracias!

I still intend to pitch my RS2 and take pics with gear inside for scale reference. I just have to get home one evening before the sun sets...

OzJacko
02-26-2013, 21:40
I have a RS2 (and a Double Rainbow).
The RS2 is enormous inside.
I'm 6' and my son is about 6'5" and we're both overweight at the moment.
We and our packs fit inside no problem.
With 2 the one entrance isn't a problem (it is the big end).
Condensation happens in all tents.
The size of the RS2 makes it easier to avoid touching the sides.

STICK
02-26-2013, 22:57
You could check out the new GoLite tents...

10-K
02-27-2013, 07:10
Another plug for the Lunar Duo.

I can't imagine a better 2 person tent than that. I've got a bunch of tents but I've only felt compelled to buy one 2 person shelter.

jeffmeh
02-27-2013, 08:13
I have a RS2 (and a Double Rainbow).
The RS2 is enormous inside.
I'm 6' and my son is about 6'5" and we're both overweight at the moment.
We and our packs fit inside no problem.
With 2 the one entrance isn't a problem (it is the big end).
Condensation happens in all tents.
The size of the RS2 makes it easier to avoid touching the sides.

And if you do not really need all of the space in the Rainshadow 2, check out the Squall 2 and save 8 oz. and $30.

OzJacko
02-27-2013, 08:28
And if you do not really need all of the space in the Rainshadow 2, check out the Squall 2 and save 8 oz. and $30.
We considered it as our second tent, but went with the Double Rainbow as that has a semi-freestanding option with hiking poles and more complete "enclosure".
We thought this gave more versatility with weather and on tent platforms etc.
The Squall 2 and the Rainshadow 2 are essentially identical with dimensions being a bit bigger for the R2.
This gives room for two large neoairs and 2 backpacks. We are father and son. We did not want to have to "spoon" to fit.:D

jeffmeh
02-27-2013, 09:39
We considered it as our second tent, but went with the Double Rainbow as that has a semi-freestanding option with hiking poles and more complete "enclosure".
We thought this gave more versatility with weather and on tent platforms etc.
The Squall 2 and the Rainshadow 2 are essentially identical with dimensions being a bit bigger for the R2.
This gives room for two large neoairs and 2 backpacks. We are father and son. We did not want to have to "spoon" to fit.:D

Good choice with the Double Rainbow if you already have a Rainshadow, for the points you mentioned.

Also, I understand your closing sentiment, lol. My son has a Rainbow that he used on his thru. I have used it also. Never together.

Ktaadn
02-27-2013, 14:34
I am considering buying a tent for my wife and I to use on our AT trip. I have always been a hammock hanger so I am looking for feedback from experienced tent sleepers. I am looking at 3 person tents for the 2 of us because i am a big guy and would like the extra room. I have done a little bit of homework and 2 tents have caught my attention. They are the Tarptent Rainshadow and the BA Fly Creek UL 3. Any feedback on the merits of one tent versus the other, single wall versus double wall, waterproof abilities, ventilation, ease of set up/take down and warmth are welcomed and appreciated. If there are other tent suggestions please speak up.

I have the Fly Creek UL 3 and have used it about 10 nights. It has plenty of room for 2 but would be really tight for 3 large people. The tent is easy to setup, the ventilation is good, the weight is as advertised, and I've had no issues with the waterproofing. You will need to be careful with where you set it up. I don't use a footprint and I did find a small hole in the floor after my first trip with it.

Oak88
02-27-2013, 15:34
Lunar Duo (41 oz.) is very spacious. I am on the XL size, 6'4" and over 250 lbs. The wife and I had plenty of room in the Duo. For my AT 2013 solo thru hike I am taking the LH Solong which could be a one man one woman tent for the smaller folks or a one man one dog tent.

T-Rx
02-28-2013, 09:54
Thank you all very much for the great feedback on tents. I got a lot of good info. It came down to a decision between the lightheart duo wedge, lunar duo and the tarptent rainshadow. And the winner is ...... Tarptent rainshadow. They are all great tents but my wife really liked the ease of set up and the interior room of the rainshadow and this switch to a tent is to help alleviate some of her concerns as we prepare to embark on several extended hikes this spring and summer in preparation for our thru hike in 2015. Thanks again for all the great input.