PDA

View Full Version : Clothing question

"Rush"
02-24-2013, 21:10
I am new to this forum and I hope this is the correct place for this topic. It may be a gear question but I am not sure. I am doing a section hike from Springer to Harpers Ferry. I will depart on April 28th. I am curious if anyone has any clothing suggestions for me. I currently plan on taking one pair of convertible pants. Two pairs of shorts and three shirts. Everything will be synthetic. I will also bring a rain jacket. Also three pairs of socks and underwear.

bigcranky
02-24-2013, 21:27
I hike in shorts only, so I bring one pair to hike in, sometimes a second pair of lighter shorts to have a dry set for camp. A short sleeved merino wool base layer top, and a long sleeved base layer for camp. Merino wool light long john bottoms, in case it gets very cold, also to wear in sleeping bag. A wind shirt, a light down jacket, and a rain shell. For an April 28 start I might swap the down jacket for a very light down vest and a light microfleece top. You can still get some nights below freezing. Rain skirt or rain pants. Fleece beanie and light gloves. Once you get past the Smokies or Roan you can probably send some of your warmer clothing home. You'll know by then what you really need.

(For wool, you can substitute synthetic, no problem.)

bigcranky
02-24-2013, 21:27
Oh, and :welcome:

Stink Bug
02-24-2013, 21:31
I'd leave the both pairs of shorts (you have the convertible pants), 1 pair of socks (2 are plenty) one pair of underwear and 1 of the shirts at home (assuming you take long and short sleeved shirts). I'd also take a fleece jacket or maybe a lightweight synthetic jacket.

See what happens when I go make tea mid post? Pretty much what BigCranky said :)

Malto
02-24-2013, 21:32
I personally don't like convertibles. You can do very light weight running shorts and normal lightweight hiking pants for about the same weight. I normally sleep in the pants and hate the zippers from the convertible pants. Also I found running shorts to be more comfortable and finally you can wash one and wear the other in town. Something to consider.

Papa D
02-24-2013, 21:34
trail shoes
wool socks
nylon shorts
polyester top
wool or fleece sweater
rain jacket
wool cap
change of underwear
that's it

MuddyWaters
02-24-2013, 22:00
Dont need multiple pairs of socks, shirts, shorts, or underwear.

Maybe 1 spare pair of socks.
Maybe something dry to change into in evening when you clothes are sweat soaked and its getting cold, but should not be redundant hiking clothes.
Long sleeves shirt and longjohn bottoms or such would be a smarter idea. With the lightest running shorts possible over them, or wear rain pants too for modesty if others are around.

I just put my sweaty shorts back on over my LJ bottoms and then it doesnt chill me, and bodyheat dries the shorts overnight. I usually just keep my hiking shirt on too under my fleece, and let it dry on me too unless Im really getting chilled from it. It wont dry otherwise anyway.

light fleece
light puffy
rain gear
light glove liners
light fleece beanie

I wear convertible pants, for the cargo pockets. I keep phone, camera, toilet paper, and map in pockets with me at all times.
May or may not bring pants bottoms, just depends on if I have them on when I started. Kind of nice to be able to put on when temp starts dropping, but rainpants works for that too.