PDA

View Full Version : GSMNP Section Hike - Water stops?

robb
06-14-2005, 22:33
Hi all, great forum.

Planning on a 3 day (or less) fastpack of the GSMNP section from Davenport to Fontana. (We may extend to outside the park on either end, depends on Vacation time).

What's the best resource available to find out the water stops in GSMNP? I was thinking the Data Book, but in case that didn't have the answer, I didn;t know wehre else to look.

TakeABreak
06-15-2005, 00:31
Well from what I can remember from 2000, each one of the shelters had a good, reliable water source (spring) near by, I kinda cruised through there, I only hiked that section once, so my memory of it is kinda vague. I am sure someone else on here, has hiked it a lot more and can give better info.

C-Stepper
06-15-2005, 08:38
I hiked most of this section in May. Water was plentiful at all of the shelters and Birch Spring campsite, and other water within a reasonable jaunt of the AT was marked with a sign (there was only one other water stop, in a gap, that I remember--had a sign, nailed to a tree, pointing it out).

I don't think you need a book just for this. Shelters are close together for this section, so shelter stops are all you need, I think, as long as you're carrying at least a liter of water and "camel up".

For a book though, the BEST would be "Hiking Trails of the Smokies", not an AT book http://www.smokiesstore.org/browse.cfm/4,5.html

Rockjock
06-15-2005, 08:43
Most of the shelters have a source of water nearby. A good book is Hiking the Smokies I believe by Carson Brewer. I haven't been up lately but 3 months ago Russell Field, Spence Field and Derrick Knob were all in good shape. Make sure to have a water purifier!!!

Lone Wolf
06-15-2005, 08:45
The Data Book is all you need.

robb
06-15-2005, 14:09
Thanks all for the numerous and quick replies. I'll take a look at the data book and my trail books. I wasn't too concerned, but we'll be moving pretty fast, so didn;t want to screw myself by dying of thirst.

sliderule
06-15-2005, 21:29
(there was only one other water stop, in a gap, that I remember--had a sign, nailed to a tree, pointing it out).

Let's not forget the water fountain at Newfound Gap. The AT passes right by it.

Deerleg
06-16-2005, 21:45
Make sure to have a water purifier!!!L. Wolf I know you don't use a purifier, have you done SMNP? With care I mostly go with out one too. Anybody know if there has been a problem w/water and getting ill on that section?

Lilred
06-18-2005, 20:11
Was just up at Russell Field shelter around the 14th. The water is bad there. Horse hoof prints everywhere and manure in the spring. Very bad. Get your water at Spence Field.

Deerleg
07-20-2005, 18:52
Just a quick update if anyone else is planning a summer hike thru GSMNP. Just hiked the AT thru the park the 1st week of July and water was plentiful. Every shelter had a spring, almost all of them piped, and with all the rain this summer I'm sure they will be flowing fine for the next few weeks. I didn't filter, but I didn't drink out of horse prints either...if you are the kind that takes the moderate risk of not filtering you should be OK drawing from the piped sources.

TwoForty
07-21-2005, 18:58
Just a quick update if anyone else is planning a summer hike thru GSMNP. Just hiked the AT thru the park the 1st week of July and water was plentiful. Every shelter had a spring, almost all of them piped, and with all the rain this summer I'm sure they will be flowing fine for the next few weeks. I didn't filter, but I didn't drink out of horse prints either...if you are the kind that takes the moderate risk of not filtering you should be OK drawing from the piped sources.Just an FYI, I've been advised not to drink from Icewater Springs without filtering. If you look up the small hill above it, you'll see that it is often used as a campsite/landfill/toilet.