PDA

View Full Version : What do you consider the best trail towns? How often do drivers stop at towns?

Maratila
02-25-2013, 07:17
I am going over my schedule, and I am not planning any leisure stops beside strict resupply stops. However, I want to rethink it, and perhaps make some stops at really cool towns. Also, how often do other thru-hikers stop at towns?

I Can Remember:
Damascus, VA
Neels Gap, GA
Hot Springs, NC
Harpers Ferry, WV
And a few others, but I do not remember the spelling and I'm too tired to look them up :P

daddytwosticks
02-25-2013, 08:10
Neels Gap is not a town. Although I agree, it's a cool place for hikers. :)

Yukon
02-25-2013, 10:16
While I haven't hiked the whole AT, I have heard numerous thru's talk fondly of Manchester Center Vermont. I happen to love this town as well...

Grand Poobah
02-25-2013, 10:22
Every hiker is different. Your UL hikers stop often to keep food weight down. I would say on average you will "go to town" every 4 days or so. Each stop doesn't mean you don't get back on the trail that day. Just resupply and hitch back. I went sobo so every nobo had a suggestion of where to and not to stopped. Cool things to see or do and most particularly the people they met that helped them out. There are so many small towns along the trial, and so much cooler than say Damascus. When I was there I could do nothing but be furiously dissatisfied with Damascus as 'THE trail town"

I like Buena vista va, Gorham nh, monson me, Manchester center ma, Hannover nh,
In pearisburg va there is a killer doughnut shop not in the guides. Then directly across the street is the early 1800's court house with interesting monuments to spend 15 minutes looking at. Find something that interests you and find them in small town america.

bamboo bob
02-25-2013, 10:25
Buena Vista? Really? Hard to get to, lot's of pavement.

fiddlehead
02-25-2013, 10:26
Don't understand the question about drivers.
Most thru-hikers walk. :)

Monson ME is a good one and most everyone stops there.

Not such a good idea to plan your stops now.
You'll know when you need one.

MDSection12
02-25-2013, 10:32
I'm not a thru-hiker (neither attempted nor completed) but I live about twenty minutes from Harper's Ferry and it's a great little town. As you walk through (the AT goes right down the main drag) you'll be passing lots of historic sites, great restaraunts, and in the warmer months they may even have some demonstrations set up related to the historical importance of the town. The town proper is actually up the hill from the river, but if it were me I'd just spend a few hours in that lower, more historic area between the two rivers then head for Ed Garvey Shelter about six miles North (assuming NOBO.)

Lando11
02-25-2013, 11:00
Favorites for me:
Monson, Me-best small AT town in my opinion. Hot Springs a close 2nd.
Manchester Center, Vt-though an odd mix in the town with all of the high end outlets and hiker trash. Mt. Goat outfitter and Jeff at the Green Mt hiker hostel are definite stops.
Daleville, Va- Though it has no real trail town feel, it has all hiker services very close to the trail like grocery store, liquor store, outfitter, food options, thrift store, cheap hotels. I've heard a trip into Roanoke is a great day trip as well.

Slo-go'en
02-25-2013, 11:35
Any place with a food store and/or resturant :)

I once ened up in Buena Vista sort of by accident. Nice town with full services, though a bit spread out and out of the way. Got a ride back to the trail from a Forest Ranger, who actually turned around to pick me up :)

I've spent some time in Roanoke waiting for the bus. Nice down town market.

Maratila
02-26-2013, 03:45
Thank for replying despite the horrible grammar and general writing mistakes. I meant hiker, not driver. That is what I get for posting a question after being awake for 28 hours in a row.

Great answers from patient, kind people.

10-K
02-26-2013, 07:03
Erwin is a trail town but if i were a hiker coming to Erwin most everything I'd want is 3 or so miles from the trail. The good news is that I think Erwin is the most hiker hitchhiker friendly town on the trail. I mean if you're wearing a pack someone will pull over and pick you up within a few minutes, even in the rain.

RED-DOG
02-26-2013, 14:55
Man where ever you go you got to stay a night at the Palmerton jail it's a really cool place and a great town.

Venchka
02-26-2013, 15:09
Elk Park, NC.

Haven't hiked there yet. Have driven through. Plan to make this the end of Section 1 of a section by section trek. GOOGLE Maps says that the Post Office is only 2.5 miles from the trail. One of the closest post offices to the trail for a village off the trail. A bakery & a coffee shop. Post office, bakery and coffee shop. What more do you need? Only 5 miles round trip from the AT. I will scout this out in June on our way to/from Boone, NC.

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp=les%3B&gs_rn=4&gs_ri=psy-ab&cp=9&gs_id=y&xhr=t&q=elk+park+nc&es_nrs=true&pf=p&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&oq=elk+park,&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bvm=bv.42965579,d.b2U&fp=1361db24e8a60ced&biw=1585&bih=1055

Wayne

Moose2001
02-26-2013, 17:28
Any place with a food store and/or resturant :)

Amen! You'll learn to love both.