PDA

View Full Version : Postholer Trail Journals & SPOT Signals

CarlZ993
02-25-2013, 08:55
I'm not the most techie kind of guy in the world. I'm trying to set up my SPOT so that it will synch w/ Postholer.com. I entered the IEN (serial number) in the appropriate slot. I sent out an 'OK' message this weekend on a Boy Scout backpacking trip. I didn't see where the SPOT message was anywhere in my Postholer Journal. What am I doing wrong? Or where am I not looking?

mother goose
02-25-2013, 10:35
Did you leave it on until all the flashing light are out except the on and off button? I know it says twenty ,inutes but in order for everything to work you have to let all lights go out except the on off button

CarlZ993
02-25-2013, 12:24
Did you leave it on until all the flashing light are out except the on and off button? I know it says twenty ,inutes but in order for everything to work you have to let all lights go out except the on off button
Yes. It went to my email address and to my Facebook page. It worked. It just didn't go to Postholer. Or if it did, I can't find it.

mother goose
02-25-2013, 12:33
did you enter the needed things in both the spot website and postholer journal setup. I can't remember exactly how it was done but I do remember it had to be enter two different places.

mother goose
02-25-2013, 12:41
Integrating your SPOT device into your journal maps is easy, here's how:

in Journal Setup (http://www.whiteblaze.net/journal/configJournal.php?sid=f6a157d2643b419ba9324c42c237 f500) add your SPOT device number (ESN). ESN format is like: 0-7654321 (found on the device under or near the batteries)
optionally, select a display delay value: No Delay to 14 days
from your SPOT account at www.findmespot.com (http://www.findmespot.com/) add your ESN to your OK or HELP message, such as, "This is my spot message and all is well 0-7654321"
also from your SPOT account add [email protected] to those who are contacted when you press the 'OK' button on the device. You can do the same for the 'HELP' button as well.

When a reader views your journal your SPOT locations can be viewed in 3 ways, either clicking on the map link, ie, 'Pacific Crest Trail Map' or the Latitude or Longitude link (if lat/lon exists in the entry) or the 'Last SPOT Location' link. Your location will appear as a small red and yellow 'S' icon on the map. Click on the icon to zoom into that location.
If you have more than one journal you can have the same ESN in all your journals, but only your active journal will be updated. Your active journal must contain the ESN.
When your trip is complete remove the ESN from your journal. You may also want to remove the above email address from your SPOT account.
Warning: Creating an empty journal solely to use the SPOT feature will result in having your journal/SPOT map administratively hidden. The SPOT feature is exclusively for Postholer journalists.
That's it! You're all set.

mother goose
02-25-2013, 12:41
hope that helps.

CarlZ993
02-25-2013, 12:56
@ mothergoose: It did. It's exactly what I did. But upon further review, I found some fat-finger typing was done by yours truly. Geez. Didn't have the correct number typed in. Sometimes I think my brain is only used to maintain my current hat size. :)

mother goose
02-25-2013, 13:09
When are you leaving Springer?

CarlZ993
02-25-2013, 13:34
3/21.

Got the SPOT to work now.

I've gone a quantum leap from my Big Chief Tablet and #2 pencil to smart phones, SPOT devices, & blogs. It hasn't always been pretty. Still a work in progress. I'll have to enlist the help w/ some college kid for tech questions along the way.