PDA

View Full Version : Spot connect question

10-K
02-25-2013, 10:51
Someone I know that has a spot connect and they've never used it before. This spot connect is the unit that pairs with your cell phone via Bluetooth.

Does anyone know if the cell phone has to be on all the time in order to use tracking?

RF_ace
02-25-2013, 20:31
Nope, all you have to do is hit the track button on the unit. None of the spots/inreach require pairing, only if you want to send out a message

10-K
02-25-2013, 20:39
Thanks... I just can't imagine that given the short life of a cellphone battery that the phone would have to be on to use tracking. Tracking would basically be worthless.

She said she tried it today and tracking wouldn't work without the phone on. I still can't believe it.

RF_ace
02-25-2013, 20:41
The spots are questionable to begin with, the inreach is an amazing unit, gives you a confirm that the message was sent

10-K
02-25-2013, 21:26
I've got a spot 2 and in 3 years I've never failed to get a message out.

RF_ace
02-27-2013, 08:14
Yeah, they work pretty good in the northern hemisphere

"Rush"
03-04-2013, 12:10
I have a question that fits this thread. If I have a spot or Delorme In-Reach can I use a Compatible smart phone for messaging even if the phone has no active plan. It is my understanding that all the data is transfered by the spot or In-Reach device. If this is correct I assume the phone is really nothing more than a keypad.

Don Newcomb
09-22-2013, 10:36
Thanks... I just can't imagine that given the short life of a cellphone battery that the phone would have to be on to use tracking. Tracking would basically be worthless.

She said she tried it today and tracking wouldn't work without the phone on. I still can't believe it.One of my issues with the idea of SPOT Connect is that there were two devices you need to keep charged for it to be fully functional.