PDA

View Full Version : Pearisburg to Atkins VA

Malto
02-25-2013, 17:50
Looking to do this section late next week. Looks like elevation hits 4k pretty consistently in that stretch. Anyone been on the trail lately? What is the condition? Any major snow to plan for?

ratfaceraines
02-26-2013, 02:12
if you need a shuttle, try don (out of pearisburg), 540-921-7433(RIDE)

10-K
02-26-2013, 07:06
Stop at Trent's Grocery for a cheeseburger. It's not really gourmet fare but you'll be ready for one by then.

This is a pretty nice hike.

flemdawg1
02-26-2013, 11:32
Stop at Trent's Grocery for a cheeseburger. It's not really gourmet fare but you'll be ready for one by then.

This is a pretty nice hike.

Hot showers and cold brews are nice too. they have both there.

Cedar Tree
02-26-2013, 11:50
I hiked from 81 at Atkins down to the ranger station at Hwy 16 on Sunday. Came home yesterday. Spent 1 night out at Chatfield shelter. Not too much snow. Some residual snow here and there, only a couple places was snow actually on the trail, but it was easily avoided. Water was good. However, the trail was covered in blowdowns. I'd plan for slow going. Although not the exact section you want to hike, I would imagine the trail conditions would be about the same. I met one NOBO.
CT

HikerMom58
02-26-2013, 11:57
I hiked from 81 at Atkins down to the ranger station at Hwy 16 on Sunday. Came home yesterday. Spent 1 night out at Chatfield shelter. Not too much snow. Some residual snow here and there, only a couple places was snow actually on the trail, but it was easily avoided. Water was good. However, the trail was covered in blowdowns. I'd plan for slow going. Although not the exact section you want to hike, I would imagine the trail conditions would be about the same. I met one NOBO.
CT

Nice.... CT. The blow downs around Roanoke are more than I've ever seen in past years. Amazing that you met a NOBO. :cool: