PDA

View Full Version : Iron Master's Hostel

Mother Natures Son
02-25-2013, 20:14
Does anyone know why the hostel manager suddenly left after many years service at Iron Master's Hostel? (Pine Grove State Park, PA) Wouldn't it be great if one of the folks on this list got the job. Can't ask to get any closer to the trail then this hostel. Has anyone been there recently?

Teacher & Snacktime
02-25-2013, 21:32
I tried to get a reservation for a night there in April....they're booked. It took me more than a month to get a negative reply, and there's no calling them. They're supposed to be open again, but they're now run by the Cumberland County Visitor's Bureau according to the only number I could find still in service.

Apparently the person to contact is Stephanie Diller 717-514-5835 or [email protected]

Also you can access their website through the AT museum website

Jeff
02-26-2013, 06:54
AWOL's guide has a phone # (717) 486-4108...however, he states their season starts in April so that phone number might not be answered until then.

stillatit
02-26-2013, 13:33
Stayed there in 2002. A nice petite old lady ran it and gave us a tour of the hidden rooms that are to be found in the old house. The building was a main hideout on the Underground Railroad before and during the Civil War (it's just over the Mason-Dixon Line). I'll always have good memories of the nice lady and the tour. It helped make the plight of the 1860s slaves on the run more realistic...

Maybe the new owners will do the same.

:)