PDA

View Full Version : Organizing food along the trail?

captjet23
02-26-2013, 00:05
Hi there everyone. I have recently begun planning out my thru-hike, which I plan to leave on in about a month. Being involved in sustainability, and natural food sources, I was thinking the other day and I came up with something.

Does anyone know if there are any groups/organizations/causes dedicated to planting certain types of food along the entirety of the trail? Not like anything extremely formal, but I think it would be really cool if people started planting things or spreading seeds along the trail so that in later months and years, other hikers may stumble across a giant strawberry patch or a small little clearing where the potatoes have run rampant. If there isn't anything like this, do you guys think it would be cool to make this a thing? Maybe in some lesser known places as emergency food sources for hikers in-the-know? The area around the trail is great for growing strawberries, peanuts, potatoes, we could probably get a couple apple or orange trees growing nicely along the trail. I was just thinking how easy this would be for people doing section hikes to start doing, and how helpful it would be for the thru-hikers later on. I know that as I hike those 2200 miles, I will be looking out for any plants that I recognize and I would be super happy to come across some delicious straw-, blue-, razz-, or blackberries. A potato plant would probably make my night, as it can be cooked on the spot and is full of carbs.

WingedMonkey
02-26-2013, 00:12
Hi there everyone. I have recently begun planning out my thru-hike, which I plan to leave on in about a month. Being involved in sustainability, and natural food sources, I was thinking the other day and I came up with something.

Does anyone know if there are any groups/organizations/causes dedicated to planting certain types of food along the entirety of the trail? Not like anything extremely formal, but I think it would be really cool if people started planting things or spreading seeds along the trail so that in later months and years, other hikers may stumble across a giant strawberry patch or a small little clearing where the potatoes have run rampant. If there isn't anything like this, do you guys think it would be cool to make this a thing? Maybe in some lesser known places as emergency food sources for hikers in-the-know? The area around the trail is great for growing strawberries, peanuts, potatoes, we could probably get a couple apple or orange trees growing nicely along the trail. I was just thinking how easy this would be for people doing section hikes to start doing, and how helpful it would be for the thru-hikers later on. I know that as I hike those 2200 miles, I will be looking out for any plants that I recognize and I would be super happy to come across some delicious straw-, blue-, razz-, or blackberries. A potato plant would probably make my night, as it can be cooked on the spot and is full of carbs.

You need to come back to reality.

captjet23
02-26-2013, 00:18
And you need to be more specific with your rude remarks.

prain4u
02-26-2013, 00:30
1) I am pretty sure that the National Park Service, National Forest Service, State Parks, and the private owners who permit the trail to pass through their private property would ALL frown upon such planting of seeds--and might even arrest you.

2) Probably not good for the balance of the eco-system.

3) Foraging and gathering food as one hikes would be very time consuming and possibly burn more calories than you gather. The time spent gathering and harvesting food would cut into hiking time and decrease one's chances of completing a through hike.

4) Even if all of those other factors did not exist---it would be difficult to plant enough food along the trail to support even a handful of hikers--even partially. When one considers the THOUSANDS of people who hike the trail--the food would be gone pretty quickly. Furthermore, fruits and vegetables often have a growing season in which the anticipated harvest times would not coincide very well (along much of the trail) with the times when the hikers were passing through a particular section of trail in any significant numbers.

Overall, just a bad--and pretty idealistic concept that is not well grounded in reality.

Prime Time
02-26-2013, 00:32
I don't know of any. Throwing seeds on the ground or planting plants without then tending them don't typically yield very high success rates. Forest soils are surprisingly poor and many plants need sun, water, and general cultivation which doesn't just happen for free. It's hard enough to scrape together enough money to maintain the trails let alone try and grow gardens along its length. That's why it's mostly volunteer work. If you wanted to start such an effort, you could. Who knows, maybe others would follow your example.

captjet23
02-26-2013, 00:34
Thank you for a much more thought out and explanatory response. I now understand the shortcomings of the idea, and I appreciate the dedicated answer.

Coffee Rules!
02-26-2013, 01:35

And you need not to be so easily butthurt.

How about this: Does LEAVE NO TRACE mean anything to you?

Blue Mountain Edward
02-26-2013, 02:30
Gardens along the trail is a good idea. I cant imagine the NPS supporting that though. Cant help you out on that plan cause the land my family owns in PA is a mile from the trail. Johny Appleseed would support trail gardening.

Slo-go'en
02-26-2013, 02:41
Interestingly, the AT passes through many areas which once were farm land but is now forest. Stray apple trees can still be found.

Feral Bill
02-26-2013, 03:02
I started off thinking this crazy. I mean really, orange trees? However, a friendly landowner along the way could set out a u-pick garden as trail magic. And a few things, at least, would need relatively little tending. Food for thought.

OzJacko
02-26-2013, 06:13
FYI Johnny Appleseed mostly planted trees that bore apples unsuitable for consumption.
They were suitable for cider making which was an activity Johnny had links to.
He sort of brought alcohol and capitalism west together...;)

WingedMonkey
02-26-2013, 10:20

That part that I put in bold when I quoted you was specific.

The area around the trail is great for growing strawberries, peanuts, potatoes, we could probably get a couple apple or orange trees growing nicely along the trail.

The area around the trail will not grow oranges, If you want wild oranges hike the Florida Trail. There are a few sour apples growing along the trail, edible apples are from grafted trees, not seeds tossed along the trail. Strawberries? Grow some in a garden and you will understand. Potatoes? You don't grow from seeds, you grow from pieces of potatoes (sets), and they require deep soil and plenty of sun. Peanuts? there is a reason that out pioneer ancestors didn't grow them in the mountains, they require a minimum of 120 frost free days full sun and loose soil.

Being involved in sustainability is a worthwhile goal, but it does require some education in at least where and how things grow.

Starchild
02-26-2013, 10:44
It's not a bad idea, and it is a common practice of more primitive peoples, though the AT may be too heavily traveled for that with not enough to sunlight, but in sections it may work - if allowed.

Lone Wolf
02-26-2013, 10:48

welcome to WB. the site filled with angry, packsniffin', wannabe know-it-alls :cool:

BirdBrain
02-26-2013, 11:23
I agree that it is not practical, sustainable, and in many cases not desirable.

Thank you LW. I was looking for a new signature.

VT-Mike
02-26-2013, 11:38
Sounds like a possible venture for an inn or hostel in a town along the trail. A place to buy or work for fresh foods.
I'd be interested, maybe after I retire and complete a triple crown.

WingedMonkey
02-26-2013, 11:47
Sounds like a possible venture for an inn or hostel in a town along the trail. A place to buy or work for fresh foods.
I'd be interested, maybe after I retire and complete a triple crown.

That's why towns are in valleys and river bottoms.

:sun

k2basecamp
02-26-2013, 11:53
There was a guy with a goat on the trail in Maine a couple of years ago. The goat looked mighty tasty at the end of the day!

Pedaling Fool
02-26-2013, 12:09

Does anyone know if there are any groups/organizations/causes dedicated to planting certain types of food along the entirety of the trail? Not like anything extremely formal, but I think it would be really cool if people started planting things or spreading seeds along the trail so that in later months and years, other hikers may stumble across a giant strawberry patch or a small little clearing where the potatoes have run rampant. If there isn't anything like this, do you guys think it would be cool to make this a thing? Maybe in some lesser known places as emergency food sources for hikers in-the-know? The area around the trail is great for growing strawberries, peanuts, potatoes, we could probably get a couple apple or orange trees growing nicely along the trail. I was just thinking how easy this would be for people doing section hikes to start doing, and how helpful it would be for the thru-hikers later on. I know that as I hike those 2200 miles, I will be looking out for any plants that I recognize and I would be super happy to come across some delicious straw-, blue-, razz-, or blackberries. A potato plant would probably make my night, as it can be cooked on the spot and is full of carbs.It's just not a good habitat for many of those type of crops. Growing many of the crops you mentioned takes work and also it takes breeding, most of what you eat from the produce section of the grocery store is not natural, per se. It's bred to grow and even then it takes work and just the right condtions. Our idea of natural and sustainable is very confused, thanks to naturalists and environmentalists and all the crap they spew in various media outlets.

WingedMonkey
02-26-2013, 12:58
Two of the farms I have visited in New England offer work for stay, Moon in the Pond Farm in Sheffield MA, http://mooninthepond.com/ and Amee Farm in Pittsfield, VT (Rutland County) http://www.ameefarm.com/

You might find others along the trail at this site, http://www.farmstayus.com/ although most are more of the Bed and Breakfast type that happen to be on farms, some offer internships and may offer work for stay.

flemdawg1
02-26-2013, 13:07
Growing food takes alot more work than just tossing some seeds around and letting nature take its course. There are a some blackberry and blueberry patches and an occasional apple tree (awesome discovery on Fall hikes). Crops need Good soil (not rocky), abundant water and sun. Pretty much every spot that has all those 3 are completely forested. And many of the balds are federally protected.

If hikers want local farm produce, I'm pretty sure you can find a produce stand or farmers market in afew towns.

atraildreamer
02-26-2013, 13:21
It's not a bad idea, and it is a common practice of more primitive peoples, though the AT may be too heavily traveled for that with not enough to sunlight, but in sections it may work - if allowed.

I think the following is the way to go, if you have the time to devote to it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guerrilla_gardening

Of course, the NPS would definitely frown upon the practice. :mad: Even if someone tried it, there will ALWAYS be some idiot who would come along and ruin it for everyone else by over-harvesting (stealing) all the produce. :(

As for as "primitive" peoples, in many societies, :-? the outer row of farm production, which often parallels roads, paths and trails, is reserved for the free use of travelers to feed themselves on their journey. :welcomeThe privilege is seldom abused, as it is designed to benefit everyone. :)

prain4u
02-26-2013, 13:24
Thread-drift is not a problem. However, I just want to note that the situations that many people are discussing on this thread--are nothing at all like what the OP is proposing. Having some established gardens/farms --particularly having such things connected to a hostel-like setting is a really interesting and workable idea. However, that is almost completely the opposite of what the OP proposed. The OP wrote:

"I think it would be really cool if people started planting things or spreading seeds along the trail so that in later months and years, other hikers may stumble across a giant strawberry patch or a small little clearing where the potatoes have run rampant.".

The OPs idea IS NOT workable, not practical,--and probably not legal along many portions of the trail.

Hoofit
02-26-2013, 14:20
so much for that idea Cap'n!
Jus have to carry the darn food!
Keep thinking though
No ounces to worry about there!
And don't mind the hecklers
They're just ancy to get back on the trail.....

etboy
02-26-2013, 22:48
Did nobody notice that Capt. is 21? And that he wasn't suggesting anything for his own selfish ends, but for those who come after him?
Naieve? Maybe. But I think one of the biggest problems we have in the world today, is that whenever anyone (most often a youngster) comes up with an abstract idea, we immediately discount it with a grumpy
"It'll never work"
Question. How do we know that something will not work, if we don't try it?
Now our young Captain may be wrong, but I for one applaud him for thinking, just a little, outside the box.
When the young people of the world stop questioning, what is right and what is wrong, we are all in deep trouble.

prain4u
02-26-2013, 23:52
....I think one of the biggest problems we have in the world today, is that whenever anyone (most often a youngster) comes up with an abstract idea, we immediately discount it with a grumpy "It'll never work". Question. How do we know that something will not work, if we don't try it?

I am a certified, bona fide, and card-carrying--- cynic, realist, pessimist and curmudgeon (and darn proud of it) :)

When it is ABUNDANTLY CLEAR that an idea cannot work (as in this particular case)---why encourage the idea and/or why encourage someone to pursue a completely unworkable (and probably illegal) idea?

What it is be gained by encouraging someone to pursue an idea that is probably illegal, biologically and agriculturally not possible (due to wrong soils, wrong sunlight, improper moisture etc), and also something that will most definitely be overpicked or outright destroyed by the other hikers--or by radical Leave No Trace activists? Seriously--why encourage people to pursue such a futile project? Is it not kinder and more humane to tell someone right from the outset that a plan will not work? Why give unrealistic and false hope?

broken arrow
02-27-2013, 03:36
Food and Farm Camps These might not be organized at first. They would come as a later development. The farm camp is the natural supplement of the community camp. Here is the same spirit of cooperation and well ordered action the food and crops consumed in the outdoor living would as far as practically be sown and harvested.
Food and farm camps could be established as special communities in adjoining valleys. Or they might be combined with the community camps with the inclusion of surrounding farm lands. Their development could provide tangible opportunity for working out by actual experiment a fundamental matter in the problem of living. It would provide one definite avenue of experiment in getting "back to the land." It would provide an opportunity for those anxious to settle down in the country: it would open up a possible source for new, and needed, employment. Communities of this type are illustrated by the Hudson Guild Farm in New Jersey.
Fuelwood, logs, and lumber are other basic needs of the camps and communities along the trail. These also might be grown and forested as part of the camp activity, rather than bought in the lumber market. The nucleus of such an enterprise has already been started at Camp Tamiment, Pennsylvania, on a lake not far from the route of the proposed Appalachian trail. The camp has been established by a labor group in New York City. They have erected a sawmill on their tract of 2000 acres and have built the bungalows of their community from their own timber.
Farm camps might ultimately be supplemented by permanent forest camps through the acquisition (or lease) of wood and timber tracts. These of course should be handled under a system of forestry so as to have a continuously growing crop of material. The object sought might be accomplished through long term timber sale contracts with the Federal Government on some of the Appalachian National Forests. Here would be another opportunity for permanent, steady, healthy employment in the open. - Benton MacKaye

http://www.wilderdom.com/vignettes/appalachian/AppalachianParts.htm

Rocket Jones
02-27-2013, 07:13
I appreciate the willingness to brainstorm ideas for our fellow man, using "our" earth. But, as one of those 'fellow man' guys, I would rather the trail be left as reasonably natural as possible. The idea of coming up to a small orange grove or a patch of potatoes on public land like the AT is just wrong, IMHO.

Pedaling Fool
02-27-2013, 09:57
so much for that idea Cap'n!
Jus have to carry the darn food!
Keep thinking though
No ounces to worry about there!
And don't mind the hecklers
They're just ancy to get back on the trail.....
Yes, keep thinking. Everyone that thinks up ideas have a certain % of stupid ideas, even idiotic. The person that does not generate stupid ideas is a person that doesn't generate ideas.

Food and Farm Camps These might not be organized at first. They would come as a later development. The farm camp is the natural supplement of the community camp. Here is the same spirit of cooperation and well ordered action the food and crops consumed in the outdoor living would as far as practically be sown and harvested.
Food and farm camps could be established as special communities in adjoining valleys. Or they might be combined with the community camps with the inclusion of surrounding farm lands. Their development could provide tangible opportunity for working out by actual experiment a fundamental matter in the problem of living. It would provide one definite avenue of experiment in getting "back to the land." It would provide an opportunity for those anxious to settle down in the country: it would open up a possible source for new, and needed, employment. Communities of this type are illustrated by the Hudson Guild Farm in New Jersey.
Fuelwood, logs, and lumber are other basic needs of the camps and communities along the trail. These also might be grown and forested as part of the camp activity, rather than bought in the lumber market. The nucleus of such an enterprise has already been started at Camp Tamiment, Pennsylvania, on a lake not far from the route of the proposed Appalachian trail. The camp has been established by a labor group in New York City. They have erected a sawmill on their tract of 2000 acres and have built the bungalows of their community from their own timber.
Farm camps might ultimately be supplemented by permanent forest camps through the acquisition (or lease) of wood and timber tracts. These of course should be handled under a system of forestry so as to have a continuously growing crop of material. The object sought might be accomplished through long term timber sale contracts with the Federal Government on some of the Appalachian National Forests. Here would be another opportunity for permanent, steady, healthy employment in the open. - Benton MacKaye

http://www.wilderdom.com/vignettes/appalachian/AppalachianParts.htm
Food and Farm Camps. That was one of the stupid ideas by Benton :)

Farming is not getting "back to the land". You want to get back to the land, then simply go back to the land and become a hunter/gatherer. Farming, contrary to popular belief, is not natural and actually very destructive to native biodiversity.

BTW, Organic farming is just as destructive as conventional farming, in the big picture.

broken arrow
02-27-2013, 11:02
"Farming is not getting "back to the land". You want to get back to the land, then simply go back to the land and become a hunter/gatherer. Farming, contrary to popular belief, is not natural and actually very destructive to native biodiversity.

BTW, Organic farming is just as destructive as conventional farming, in the big picture."

If you are referring to Monsanto style "take-over" of our agricultural life, then yeah, I agree. If not, then I must say that I worked on an organic fruit farm (alongside growing up in the country of MI.amidst the mom and pop farms) and you could not be further from the truth with that statement. idiots with GMO mindsets WILL destroy the land and are killing off true "farmers" and the earth-preserving lifestyle therein. :)

Hikes in Rain
02-27-2013, 13:19
Didn't the original Benton MacKaye concept have small work for stay farms along the way? Sounded quite civilized.

Pedaling Fool
02-27-2013, 15:19
I’m no fan of Monsanto, but GMO farming is the way to go. I know, it’s not natural (of course that depends on how one defines, natural), but neither are 7-billion animals of our size living on planet earth. How did we get to such an unnatural population? Farming.

I know there are many other factors, but the root to all those other factors is farming, which allows us to form a society in which many of us don’t have to spend time gathering food, leaving more time to better our lives, such as those interested in science and medical pursuits. And thanks to those advances, so many more children survive the process of child birth, as well as so many other diseases. And the mortality rate among women giving birth has dropped dramatically.

So with such an unnatural population size the last thing we want to do is keep taking land from wildlife for our use. That’s where GMO’s factor in. Don’t believe me, just read some books by the Father of the Green Revolution, Norman Borlaug. http://www.scienceheroes.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=68&Itemid=116

Excerpt:

He argues that the Green Revolution has actually led to improved air and water quality, protected wildlife, protected soils, and reduced the loss of biodiversity through saving lands that otherwise would have to be cultivated for crops, because of the high yield value of Green Revolution crops.

BTW, I know Monsanto is the largest biotechnology corporation, but they’re not the only ones, many others, both here in North America, Europe and Asia; it is the way of the future.

broken arrow
02-27-2013, 15:54
John, i love you man, but you are so misinformed. I could go on and on about the insanity level that those life-sucking, disease-causing, agricultural-murdering, money-worshiping, earth-destroying corporations are at. but for the sake of my sanity today, i won't. I really hope that by fate we meet on the trail someday and find ourselves talking around a fire. peace.

The Ace
02-27-2013, 16:06

Captjet23 of Auburn, AL: You of all people should know that the Bama fans would come along and poison them.

Pedaling Fool
02-27-2013, 17:40
John, i love you man, but you are so misinformed. I could go on and on about the insanity level that those life-sucking, disease-causing, agricultural-murdering, money-worshiping, earth-destroying corporations are at. but for the sake of my sanity today, i won't. I really hope that by fate we meet on the trail someday and find ourselves talking around a fire. peace.I guess we're all going to die a horrible death then :D ;)