PDA

View Full Version : GSMNP in July?

Deerleg
06-15-2005, 17:27
Has anyone done GSMNP in July?
With most of the ridge averaging around 4000 feet I would think the temps, especially at night, should be bearable. I知 thinking of walking it the 1st week of July while the days are still long and I can siesta during the hottest part of the day and still get in 15 + miles if I want to. I did this a few years ago thru the Mt Rogers area down to Damascus and it was down right chilly at night which suited me fine. Any suggestions as far as where to park and what seems to be convenient for shuttling? I will check my ATC shuttle list to see who can help. I知 flexible about direction and am soooo looking forward to getting out again.. Heck, if the mileage is comparable, I would even consider New Found Gap to Hot Springs.
Thanks!

Deerleg
06-16-2005, 18:53
According to: http://www.nps.gov/grsm/gsmsite/natureinfo.html#wc

For Gatlinburg, TN extremes 88/59 average high and low temps in July.
For Clingmans Dome average 65/53 high and low temps. So I guess most of the trip will fall somewhere in between. And 13 days of rain! Hmmm:-? maybe a few thunder storms.

If anyone has hiked it in July I'd love to hear about your experience and how you prepared for the trip.

Mogollon
06-17-2005, 16:18
I did a section hike of the Smokies in June. You can still expect a little chilly weather at night. I even took light fleece. It's definetely not too hot; although, it may feel steamy after the afternoon thunderstorms.

Has anyone done GSMNP in July?
With most of the ridge averaging around 4000 feet I would think the temps, especially at night, should be bearable. I知 thinking of walking it the 1st week of July while the days are still long and I can siesta during the hottest part of the day and still get in 15 + miles if I want to. I did this a few years ago thru the Mt Rogers area down to Damascus and it was down right chilly at night which suited me fine. Any suggestions as far as where to park and what seems to be convenient for shuttling? I will check my ATC shuttle list to see who can help. I知 flexible about direction and am soooo looking forward to getting out again.. Heck, if the mileage is comparable, I would even consider New Found Gap to Hot Springs.
Thanks!

stickman
06-17-2005, 22:04
I did the Park in August and loved it. It was warm by day and chilly by night. Go for it!

Stickman

Scaper
07-04-2009, 22:54
Low temp was 34 degrees this morning of July 4th at Mt. Lacontee.

TIDE-HSV
07-04-2009, 22:59
Last weekend, the lows were in the 50s, highs in the 60s at Gregory Bald. The air was as clear as I've ever seen it in the summer, after the cold front came through on Monday...

Egads
07-04-2009, 23:00
Low temp was 34 degrees this morning of July 4th at Mt. Lacontee.

Cool:cool:

Bearpaw
07-04-2009, 23:56
My wife and I hiked the AT ridgeline last year from July 1-6. Daytime highs were in the upper 70's with nightly lows in the 50's. Great hiking weather.

I hiked through the area in late July 4 years ago. There was a heat wave, but the temps were still only in the lower 80's up high, and when rain rolled in, it dropped lower.

The Smokies are a good place to be when the heat kicks in.

Ox97GaMe
07-05-2009, 12:20
It varries each year and from day to day. I just got back from a 3 day hike and the highs were in 70s lows in 40s, There was a font in the area that kept it in a rain threat environment the whole time, but the rain didnt hit until this morning. Temps this morning were in low 50s when I left out of Newfound Gap at 10:00.