PDA

View Full Version : Do I really need all Topo-maps?

Klampfenhauer
02-26-2013, 11:53
Hey there, i arrive at the first of march and do not have any topo-map.
I have the companion and the Databook, what do you think?!
Should i order the big bunlde of trailmaps?
What did you do?
Thanks
Klampfenhauer

yellowsirocco
02-26-2013, 12:02
First you don't need to carry both the Databook and Companion. Maps are one of those things that is almost religious. I like to carry them so I can see where the side trails and forest roads go. I have had to cut trips short a couple of times because of injury and weather and the map let me know where the easy route to civilization goes. Without a map you have to either go backwards or forwards. Right now the Postholer map set looks nice. I do not own the Postholer, but it looks good. I am using the ATC map set and it works, but there is no standardization between the sections which is kind of annoying.

toonnee
02-26-2013, 12:02
I have never thru hiked but I have done a fair amount of hiking on the AT. I have never came to a spot that I wished I had a map. My data book has always been enough. I'm not saying a map wouldn't have it's advantages though. It will show u where side trails go roads and so on. Enjoy your hike!!

k2basecamp
02-26-2013, 12:05
Get the AT Guide by David Miller it has trail profiles. Loose leaf format best for mailing sections with your resupply boxes.

Good luck

Klampfenhauer
02-26-2013, 12:24
Ok, thank you for mailing.
It was just an whiff of panik to miss something essential!
So, I think the Companion have to be enough.

The Gambler
02-26-2013, 12:45
i agree with the above poster...AT Guide by David Miller...on my 2011 sobo almost everyone used it...lots of folks staarted with one of the two you have and sent them home after purchasing the AT Guide...believe it's still $15...don't get me wrong you'll survive with any of them but the profile info, town info, etc are invaluable...bet you can pick it up at mountain crossing at the 30 mile mark

jeffmeh
02-26-2013, 12:47
Generally speaking, one of the guides is enough. That said, it is wise to know alternate points of escape when you may encounter severe weather in places like the Smokies or the Whites.

terryg49
02-26-2013, 12:50
I use the AT guide. Haven't needed maps so far. I do carry an altimeter . It's great when slogging uphill. It shows my climbing progress and how much I have left until the top of the hill.

TheGreek
02-26-2013, 13:39
It's great when slogging uphill. It shows my climbing progress and how much I have left until the top of the hill.

The correct answer is more. Always more.

Turk6177
02-26-2013, 14:12
AWOL's guide is sufficient. The waterproof maps are nice if you need to find a blue blaze trail out of the woods in case of an emergency. Other than that, you really only need AWOL's guide put out by David Miller.

Klampfenhauer
02-26-2013, 14:25
Du I maybe get this AT Guide by David Miller at the REI in Atlanta?!
I think if i now order those maps i wouldn´t get it fast enough.
So if i cant get maps in Atlanta i first want to hike without and order some on the trail in a city ahead.
Do you think that this will work?^^

railwalker
02-26-2013, 15:42
Or maybe just ask at the visitor center of http://www.gastateparks.org/AmicalolaFalls (ask them via email, maybe they sell AWOl`s guide.)

Sly
02-26-2013, 16:25
Du I maybe get this AT Guide by David Miller at the REI in Atlanta?!
I think if i now order those maps i wouldn´t get it fast enough.
So if i cant get maps in Atlanta i first want to hike without and order some on the trail in a city ahead.
Do you think that this will work?^^

If you already have the Companion you'll be able to get by fine with that, thousands of other hiker have. If for some reason you think the additional $15 is worth spending, just pick up the AT Guide at Mountain Crossings.

Maps are well worth the investment. Not only do they depict the trail but many alternatives some of which you may want to hike for fun, others in possible emergencies. If you're afraid on not getting them in time call the ATC and order/ask on the phone.

For customer service, call toll-free to (888) AT-STORE (888-287-8673 for "smart" phones) during weekday business hours (9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Eastern time) or, after hours, call and leave a messag