PDA

View Full Version : Contrail set up

Boyle10
02-26-2013, 15:41
So, I recently bought a used Contrail on here and have set it up a couple of times in my backyard. I just set it up in the rain today to see if it leaks. I know set up will be a lot different on the trail, but so far it hasn't been a problem. I am wondering if there are certain mistakes that people new to tarp tents, and the contrail specifically, commonly make. Just curious about things I may not be doing completely right. Thanks!

Storm
02-26-2013, 15:57
I have the tarptent Moment. Different from the Contrail but same material. I find that I need to get a pretty taught pitch or mine won't repel water as well. Also try to pitch in an area that you can get decent air flow to prevent condensation. Only difference I found pitching on the trail was sometimes the soil is so soft its hard to keep stakes in with a taught pitch. I went to longer stakes and haven't had too much trouble since.

garlic08
02-26-2013, 16:18
Good question.

I learned early on that you can't over-tighten silnylon. Don't be afraid to really pull on it, get it as tight as you can, then tighten it again. And again.

Franco, a frequent poster here, once showed a great pitch for the Contrail for snow, adding a center ridge with a stick in the center of the foot.

The silnylon floor will soak through from below with the pressure of your body on it. When you pitch on wet ground, take measures to protect your insulation. Don't pitch in an area where a puddle will form below you. You don't need a ground cloth.

When you strike camp, completely loosen all lines, even the floor tighteners. Otherwise your next pitch might be messy. After you first set the pegs, be prepared to move them a few inches after the canopy is up. (If you're in rocky soil, don't pound them in all the way at first.)

The Contrail has been the best shelter I've ever had, considering its low price, rugged simplicity, and the long life I've gotten out of mine.

Franco
02-26-2013, 16:36
I have several viseo clips on the Contrail in my you tube channel
Franco Darioli you Tube
You can use Google images to find several alternative set ups
(Google Tarptent Contrail Images)
Simple tip :If it does not look like the one on the TT site, it isn't set up correctly.
Some images show the side tie-out points pulled too tight. Don't do that , keep the bottom line from rear to front straight
In those images the Contrail looks deform and that iis because it is....

q-tip
02-26-2013, 18:21
Really taut, and silicone spray helps performance.

gwb
03-25-2013, 12:38
I have been using a Contrail for the last few years. It takes some time to get set up properly. My first night in a heavy rain I get a little wet from rain splashing along the side and coming in the side screen, last time that happened. Lessoned learned. Keep the foot end low don't pull out the sides too far. Propping up the foot end with a stick or trekking pole helps keep the foot of your sleeping bag dry. Like others mentioned adjust the tension and adjust it again, and again. What I love about the tent: weight, dries very fast, plenty of space (my wife and I have used the tent together a few times, not recommended on bad weather). Oh ya and watch Franco's videos...

Studlintsean
03-25-2013, 13:10
I just played with my contrail yesterday as I have only used it 10-15 nights on the trail. Like others have said, I like to pitch it as tight as I can with the guy lines completely open so I can tighten it over and over before bed.

BigRing
03-25-2013, 19:41
I just used mine for the first time this weekend....I quickly discovered that the floor is like an ice rink...which would not have been a big deal....however I was pitched on a slight hill......kept sliding into the side all night.

Franco
03-25-2013, 20:39
A couple of ways to reduce/eliminate that.1) get one of those anti-slip mats designed to go under a carpet or the thinner type used on shelves. That will add a bit of weight but some R value too.
2) paint thin stripes of silicone onto the floor and for better results on the bottom of the mat too.
Thin will do...
(I now use a bit of cloth around my finger, dip that into the thinned silicone mix and paint some wide stripes with my finger)

theoilman
03-25-2013, 20:42
When you seamseal, don't forget to put some dots on the floor. Really adds a lot of floor traction for sleeping.