PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Fly Stove Advice

#1Stooge
02-26-2013, 16:03
I'm new to hiking, and planning a short three hike to test equipment and such. I have a new MSR Dragon Fly stove and using denatured alcohol as fuel. Following the directions I cannot establish a proper burn. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sly
02-26-2013, 16:35
If it's the MSR DragonFly it's not an alcohol stove. You can use white gas (preferred) or auto. You can also use kerosene or diesel but I believe you need invert the jet.

rodonne1
03-24-2013, 20:31
I always use Coleman Fuel in my Dragonfly and it works great! Denatured alcohol isn't combustable enough for that stove, that's why it won't burn properly.

Wise Old Owl
03-24-2013, 20:42
White gas only...

PD230SOI
03-25-2013, 03:46
#1Stooge,

In addition to getting the right fuel I would be sure to spend some time getting to know your stove inside and out. I have a MSR Whisperlite International that has served me well for over 20 years.

Enjoy!

hikin_jim
04-20-2013, 17:46
If it's the MSR DragonFly it's not an alcohol stove.Yeah, alcohol actually might harm the seals and such. Not recommended.

You can use white gas (preferred) or auto. You can also use kerosene or diesel but I believe you need invert the jet.White gas or kerosene are both good fuels, but you do have to swap out the jet. There should be two different jets, one marked DG for white gas, and the other marked DK for kerosene.

In a pinch, you can run on auto gasoline, but save diesel as a last resort. Diesel is very dirty and will clog the generator.

HJ