PDA

View Full Version : North side of the Smokies

tucker0104
02-26-2013, 17:04
What can I expect if I hike the BMT south from big creek then take the AT north back to big creek. Is there that much ice on the trail?

Ox97GaMe
02-26-2013, 21:15
you wont encounter much right now on the trip starting from Big Creek. Most of your hike westward will be at lower elevations. This time of year, you should be prepared for snow and ice at the higher elevations at any time. Rain in the valley usually means snow above 5000 ft. Weather has been pretty warm the past few days, but it is raining in Knoxville today which probably means an inch or two of fresh snow in the mountains.

Be prepared for some serious stream crossings. Water is high this time of year and if it has been raining hard for a couple of days, the streams are pretty scary.

Be safe and have fun.

HooKooDooKu
02-27-2013, 01:03
Snow showers currently predicted through the weekend. Lows in the teens and 20's coming this weekend (and that's the valleys, mountains could be 10 to 20 degrees colder).

http://www.intellicast.com/Local/Weather.aspx?location=USTN0209

tucker0104
02-27-2013, 14:42
Should be good old times. I look forward to it.

PapaGarrettP
02-27-2013, 16:28
Good question. I am doing the first half of your hike in 4 weeks. I would be really interested in yur experience. Mind if I ping you around the 27th?

Also, are you taking any gaitors or crampons (or boot studs)?

-PapaG

Ox97GaMe
02-27-2013, 23:18
snow forecast for tonight and again on Saturday. Could have 4-6 + inches at the higher elevations by Monday. March 1 is the start of the rainy season in the park. We typically get 4 days of rain per week on average (Some more, some less). Also be aware that there is usually at least 1 major snow event in the park during March and April every year. Cant really predict it. Since you are going to be out for ~2 weeks, expect to get wet and get some amount of snow while you are out there.