PDA

View Full Version : Advice on sleeping pad?

Hatteras Jack
02-26-2013, 18:05
About me, I'm 6'2", 200 lb. Heading southbound with a mid-July start. What kind of sleeping pad should I get? I'm 23 and don't suffer from any kind of pains when I sleep with my bag right on the floor of the tent. I know I need a pad, but don't know where to start. I'm worried about popping it as I toss and turn quite a bit when I sleep. Basically I'm looking for comfort with an emphasis on durability. I know you guys know what I'm talking about.

PosterNutbag
02-26-2013, 18:12
I have a sleeping pad for 40 bucks I could sell you. Its a cabelas xpg regular inflatable pad, 27 grams. I'm looking to just buy the z lite, I want to be more light weight

rocketsocks
02-26-2013, 18:15
Big Agnes air core, 1 1/2 lbs, 3" of cushioning air, you wont break it, as long as your not using it as a "Hopity Hop":jump

prain4u
02-26-2013, 18:17
I use a Thermarest NeoAir. I like it. Given the concerns that you have, I would say Thermarest Prolite or Thermarest Ridgerest. Then again, a good old fashioned Wal-Mart foam pad gets the job done at probably the lowest cost out there.

PosterNutbag
02-26-2013, 18:18
Better yet 30 dollars and its yours.

Another Kevin
02-26-2013, 18:29
I'm nearly of a size with you, and also a restless sleeper, and I'm comfortable on my Thermarest Prolite for three-season use. In winter I may put a Wal-Mart blue foam pad under it. A pad is more about warmth than it is about softness, which is why I boost the insulation in winter.

leaftye
02-26-2013, 19:14
If you're not in pain when you sleep directly on the ground, why not use a foam pad. A Walmart blue foam pad will cost you $7 and is incredibly tough.

tarantolk
02-26-2013, 19:25
I got a thermarest prolite for $40 on sale. I have no complaints so far but I have had spinal surgery so I figured it would be best for me to have one. Bf didn't want one but after a couple test runs decided to go with the same.

vamelungeon
02-26-2013, 19:28
Go to the store, try some out, buy one that's comfortable.

Lone Wolf
02-26-2013, 19:28
About me, I'm 6'2", 200 lb. Heading southbound with a mid-July start. What kind of sleeping pad should I get? I'm 23 and don't suffer from any kind of pains when I sleep with my bag right on the floor of the tent. I know I need a pad, but don't know where to start. I'm worried about popping it as I toss and turn quite a bit when I sleep. Basically I'm looking for comfort with an emphasis on durability. I know you guys know what I'm talking about.

this is all i've ever used. don't need one of them fancy blow up things
http://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/shop/product_Therm-A-Rest-Ridge-Rest-SOLite-Sleeping-Pad_10117658_10208_10000001_-1_

vamelungeon
02-26-2013, 19:30
http://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/shop/product_Therm-A-Rest-Ridge-Rest-SOLite-Sleeping-Pad_10117658_10208_10000001_-1_
That's what I use too. Never leaks, comfortable enough for me.

bigcranky
02-26-2013, 19:37
A closed cell foam pad will be fine, something like a Ridgerest. Maybe even the 3/4 length one. It will never break, and if you're comfortable w/o a pad, this will be heaven.

PosterNutbag
02-26-2013, 19:41
I got a thermarest prolite for $40 on sale. I have no complaints so far but I have had spinal surgery so I figured it would be best for me to have one. Bf didn't want one but after a couple test runs decided to go with the same.

Well the prolite beats the one I have! Go with that one

Coffee
02-26-2013, 19:54

+1 on thermarest prolite. Comfortable enough and I don't fear punctures as much as with something like the neo air.

rocketsocks
02-26-2013, 19:58
http://sectionhiker.com/sleeping-pad-r-values/

this was posted the other day....I found it helpful.

scope
02-26-2013, 21:22

Oh... its a link to a description of a pad... thought it might be something else.

OzJacko
02-26-2013, 21:32
Have you learnt there is no single answer yet?

First ask yourself, do I sleep on my side or my back/stomach?
If you are a back or stomach sleeper you need a mat more for insulation than comfort.
A closed cell foam pad or a "standard" self inflating mat should suffice. (Standard as in traditional - sizing is different.)
If you are a side sleeper, you will get sore hips with the thinner options.
A Neo-air or Exped or BA air mattress is more the go.
I use a Neo-air but those Exped Synmat UL's look pretty good.
A trick to make a standard size mat long enough for you is to have something like a piece of closed cell foam that you tuck under the head end and put whatever you're using for a pillow on top. The CCF keeps pillow and mat together a bit better than not having it and it can double as something to sit on when stopping somewhere wet etc.

Prime Time
02-26-2013, 21:38
This is my pad also. I bought a "second" for about $20. I then cut it down to just fit from my head to just below my hips. 7 ounces. I then cut down the remnant further (a 2 oz piece) and use that as my camp/rest stop seat and also use it under my feet when I sleep.

SunnyWalker
02-26-2013, 22:48
Hatteras JacK: I use the Ridgerest also. It'll never blowout on you. It does give some padding and the silver reflective stuff that reflects body heat back to you is awesome. When i remember, before i put the groundcloth down i figure where my hips will be and dig a little indentation for that portion of my anatomy. Wala, pure comfort! Now if it was Bigcranky or Another Kevin the "indentation" would be pretty big. For me its not THAT big, Huh, huh.

johnnybgood
02-26-2013, 22:48
You're 23 , I slept on closed cell pad at that age.

HooKooDooKu
02-27-2013, 00:59
IMHO, you basically have about three choices:

1. NeoAir XLite Large
Huge (77" long and 25" wide).
Thick (good for side sleepers).
Ligher than anything of comperable size.
Packs smaller than anything of comperable size (includes stuff sack).
Could puncture (use a ground cloth, comes with a patch kit)
EXPENSIVE ($180 full price - 20% to 30% discounts during sales or sales of slighly irregulars)

2. ProLite Large
Huge (77" long and 25" wide).
Thin (not so good for heavy-weight side sleepers)
6 oz heavier than NeoAir
Lower R value than NeoAir
Packs almost as small as NeoAir (stuff sack sold seperately)
Thicker material (repair kit purchased seperately)
Reasonable Price (on sale @ campmor right now for $80)

3. Therm-A-Rest Ridge Rest
Huge (77" long and 25" wide - other closed cell might not be this big)
Only 2 oz heavier than NeoAir
R value between ProLite and NeoAir
Doesn't pack down (only rolls up - 20"x8")
Durable (puncture proof)R
Cheap (on sale as low as $25 at campmor 1http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___11718 )

leaftye
02-27-2013, 01:04
^^^

200 lbs at 6'2" isn't that big. I don't see the need for wider pads, but it's a nice luxury.

3. Therm-A-Rest Ridge Rest
Huge (77" long and 25" wide - other closed cell might not be this big)
Only 2 oz heavier than NeoAir
R value between ProLite and NeoAir
Doesn't pack down (only rolls up - 20"x8")
Durable (puncture proof)R
Cheap (on sale as low as $25 at campmor 1http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___11718 )

This is where a sit pad pays extra dividends. At night it goes under the pressure points. Usually hip to elbow area, ie, torso. Two layers of full thickness pads is plush.

daddytwosticks
02-27-2013, 08:29
If I were in your shoes, I'd get one of those newer Zrests w/the reflective backing. Experiment with it by slowly cutting off sections until you are satisfied with the comfort and weight. This one is less bulky than the thermarests. :)

Old Hiker
02-27-2013, 10:20
Therm-a-Rest RidgeRest Classic Closed Cell Foam Sleeping Pad - $19 on sale at Amazon. I went to this from an ALPS inflatable - got rid of a couple of pounds and never had a problem with comfort. I sleep side and back. As long as my head is supported with a pillow, I have no problems at my advanced age.

Although: ALPS Mountaineering Comfort Series Air Pad is on sale for $1.76 on Amazon. Something wrong there !!

Hammock is first choice, though. :)

slbirdnerd
02-27-2013, 13:20
Ridgerest Solite. I got the small since my head will be on my pack and my feet don't need a sleeping pad.

Loneoak
02-27-2013, 13:44
You mite want to consider the R factor for cold temperatures

Hatteras Jack
02-27-2013, 17:28
I'm kinda liking the Thermarest prolite. Is there a big disadvantage to getting a smaller sleeping pad (20x36 or 20x47), as far as heat goes? I'm cheap.

Feral Bill
02-27-2013, 19:28
At your age, go with closed cell foam. If you don't sleep well, change to an inflatable, such as a Thermarest.

Hatteras Jack
02-27-2013, 19:54
At your age, go with closed cell foam. If you don't sleep well, change to an inflatable, such as a Thermarest.

The girlfriend had a closed cell foam and said she hated it. I wouldn't call her a whiney person at all, so I'm having second thoughts about comfort. I suppose you're right though, considering the low price of a closed cell foam I could toss it if need be.

HooKooDooKu
02-28-2013, 00:12
I'm kinda liking the Thermarest prolite. Is there a big disadvantage to getting a smaller sleeping pad (20x36 or 20x47), as far as heat goes? I'm cheap.

One disadvantage is you're stuck with a 20" width. I personally got tired of sleeping with my arms hanging off the sides of my pad, so I purchased the Large for the 25" width (didn't need the extra 6" of length of the Large).

The other disadvantage is that your feet/legs are not insulated from the ground as well. One thing to keep in mind is that even if you are in a sleeping bag, any spot of your body resting on the ground is going to compress the sleeping bag such that it provided almost no insulation at that spot.

Finally, your feet/legs are obviously at a different level than the rest of your body. The difference might not be a big deal if you get a Ridge Rest or ProLite. But if you get a thick pad like the NeoAir, the difference will obviously be pronounced.

CarlZ993
02-28-2013, 11:27
It depends on your budget, comfort level while sleeping (padding & R-Value), and how reliable you want your pad to be. Any self-inflating or inflatable pad is subject to puncture. Sometimes, it is a pain to find the hole(s). Easy to repair once you find it. But a pain nonetheless. But, the self-inflating or inflatables usually have more 'comfort' (cushioning).

Close-cell foam pads are basically bullet-proof. They can be a bit bulky attached to your pack.

For years, I used close-cell foam pads exclusively. Mainly the Ridgerest 72". I also used the Z-rest (now Z-Lite) 72". Ridgerest has more cushion. Z-Lite is more compact. You could take a smaller size (48" on Ridgerest or 51" on Z-lite) and use your empty pack or small sit-pad for your feet.

I've used Thermarests (old-style; heavy), NeoAirs, and Big Agnes pads. The Big Agnes pad had a hole in it somewhere. Despite my best efforts, I can't find it. I've done the old 'inflated pad in the bathtub routine' to no avail. Of all the self-inflating/inflatables, I like the NeoAirs the best. The last few years, I've used the NeoAir exclusively. I had the regular size original. I never had a puncture on it. It has a very slow leak somewhere. I have to add air sometime in the middle of the night (when I get up to pee). I also own the All-Season NeoAir. Very warm (but heavier). I recently splurged and bought the NeoAir X-Lite (caught a good deal at a local store). Used it a couple of times. Sleeps nice. No changes in firmness overnight. This is the one I'll be taking on the AT.

If I start having issues with reliability issues, I'll go back to a close-cell foam pad and just won't be as comfortable. If the X-Lite craps out on me in between towns (and I can't find the hole), I'll just have to sleep on my empty pack and sit pad and tough it out.

I do most of my hiking out west. When I was hiking in the Sierras during PCT Thru-hiking season, the close-cell foam pad 'Z-lite' was the most common pad I saw. A friend of mine's daughter hiked the AT last year. She said the Z-lite was the most common pad she saw.

Pick one and have a good hike.

SunnyWalker
03-03-2013, 15:05
Weeeeeee-aaaa-lllllll, heres some sage advice: Ya'll will git tired after about a week of hikin'. N ya'll will jist fall out kind of unconscious when you hit the sack. There are those who will counter this, but this is how I asee it. Yesssiiiir. It's my experience an I am an old codger.

Wise Old Owl
03-03-2013, 16:06
Blue pads have almost disappeared from sports stores... Go to a specialty store and at 200 pounds and age? get what you can afford and as thick as possible... ask about r value if you are going 4 season.

Del Q
03-03-2013, 19:49
23?

Suffer, scrape up some leaves and go from there. A good, light foam or whatever pad will be fine.

NeoAir, light, warm, comfy, packs small. Risk of puncture. New versions from when I bought mine.

What is also nice, blowing it up gives you something to do at night.

RedBeerd
03-03-2013, 21:23
Inflatables cost too much and are too puncture prone. I like my foam pad. Great seat and easy to use for a siesta under the sun. Only downside is I hate strapping it to my pack..gets in the way. And..well..we know they're really not that comfortable but they make us look tough.

Sarcasm the elf
03-03-2013, 21:40
I use a Thermarest NeoAir. I like it. Given the concerns that you have, I would say Thermarest Prolite or Thermarest Ridgerest. Then again, a good old fashioned Wal-Mart foam pad gets the job done at probably the lowest cost out there.

The pro-lite is one of the only thermarest pads that I wouldn't recommend, it's not that comfortable (only 1" thick), very bulky to pack and not as durable as you would expect for the weight. I've had one for several years and now only use it as a second layer in the winter, otherwise I still use my old zrest foam pad.

If I were buying an air mattress today I would go for one of the Neo-air models. They are lighter and much more comfortable than the pro-lite and they take up a lot less space inside your pack.

Also, if you buy any air-mattress that is made from silnylon such as the pro-lite and NeoAir models, I highly recommend buying the patch kit that thermarest makes and carrying a patch or two with you when you hike because for some reason duct tape doesn't stick to silnylon. I've had to use the patch kit on more than one occasion and it works well.

aficion
03-03-2013, 21:57
You're 23 , I slept on closed cell pad at that age.

Closed cell cheapo until you get older and it hurts without liquor.

hikerbiker99
03-03-2013, 22:09
I just bought the Neo Air and I like it a lot. My only concern is that it does not insulate hardly at all. My old Thermarest Trail lite was about a lb. heavier, but it did offer better insulation. I like the pad for comfort as I am a side sleeper, otherwise go for the WalMart foam pad and you are good to go.

HooKooDooKu
03-03-2013, 23:36
The pro-lite is one of the only thermarest pads that I wouldn't recommend, it's not that comfortable (only 1" thick), very bulky to pack and not as durable as you would expect for the weight. ...
A rolled up pro-lite is about on par with a neo-air (it's bigger but it's in the same ball park). I have no problems rolling up a 'regular' size pro-lite to place inside a 'small' thermarest pro-lite stuff sack. (They must be sizing these stuff sacks for people who don't pre-squeeze the air out of their pads)

However, because of that minimal 1" thickness, I too would not recomend them except for children or people that sleep only on their backs.

As for pro-lites being self-inflating... there is so little padding inside (to reduce the weight) that you still have to blow several puffs in it to get it to fully inflate.

Tinker
03-04-2013, 02:30
Big Agnes air core, 1 1/2 lbs, 3" of cushioning air, you wont break it, as long as your not using it as a "Hopity Hop":jump

I have one which needs to be fixed right now. I loaned it to another hiker who used it on a rough-cut pine floor in an attic.:rolleyes:

I forgot to tell her to put something underneath it.

Sooooooooo - I'll warn anyone going with a non-insulated pad that they should carry a thin closed cell foam pad to put underneath it for puncture protection.
The same ccf pad can be used on top for insulation -

No, Mildred, it doesn't insulate well if you use it under the pad - it just protects. ("Mildred" is a name I made up for non-scientific nay-sayers who have overactive imaginations and refuse to consider anything else like common sense and scientific evidence) - you can get a lot of used gear from Mildreds - it won't be very good quality and will likely have been damaged from misuse and/or neglect, though. ;) :p :)

QiWiz
03-06-2013, 10:47

Since you don't need cushy and you value durability, just get a closed cell foam pad to insulate you from the ground. A CCF pad really can't be hurt. Can be as basic as a 1/2" generic blue pad or the more high-end Ridge Rest or Z-rest.