PDA

View Full Version : McAfee Knob- a must see in Virginia!

HikerMom58
02-27-2013, 12:19
Just putting in a lil plug for a "must see" in VA. This is our hometown station going LIVE on the Knob! :) Funny!!

http://www.wdbj7.com/videogallery/71318658/News/Using-new-technology,-WDBJ7-does-a-live-shot-from-McAfee-Knob-in-Roanoke-County

Hope that link works....

Cookerhiker
02-27-2013, 12:43
It worked! Thanks for posting:) Nice report even though they mispronounced "Appalachian," LOL:D Too bad that Hikerhead wasn't up there when they filmed it.

tiptoe
02-27-2013, 12:46
The link does work, and thanks for posting. I'm really hoping to make it that far on my upcoming section.

WingedMonkey
02-27-2013, 15:30
"Day hikers, like myself, are called section hikers"

Yeah...sure you are.

:p

Southerner
02-27-2013, 15:58
It was great seeing the reporter's enthusiasm for the AT, and it was a cool demonstration of newer broadcasting technology.

Slo-go'en
02-27-2013, 16:27
Last time I was there, couldn't see past my out streached hand! Had a great view of the inside of a cloud though. Didn't even bother with the Tinker cliffs, took an old blue blaze by-pass trail which turned into an adventure of it's own.

HikerMom58
02-27-2013, 16:35
It was great seeing the reporter's enthusiasm for the AT, and it was a cool demonstration of newer broadcasting technology.

Agree! :)

Last time I was there, couldn't see past my out streached hand! Had a great view of the inside of a cloud though. Didn't even bother with the Tinker cliffs, took an old blue blaze by-pass trail which turned into an adventure of it's own.

Darn it Slo-go'en... I always feel so bad when hikers hit the Knob in bad weather... the blue blaze that you went down was prob. the Andy Layne trail. That trail is terrible to climb up.. it's straight up to Tinker Cliffs not many switch backs.

Slo-go'en
02-27-2013, 17:02
Agree! :)

Darn it Slo-go'en... I always feel so bad when hikers hit the Knob in bad weather... the blue blaze that you went down was prob. the Andy Layne trail. That trail is terrible to climb up.. it's straight up to Tinker Cliffs not many switch backs.

Well, I had been there before on a good day. At least I had a good day on Dragons tooth, which was more important. Looks like I took the Lamberts Meadow trail at Brickeys gap. Hadn't been maintained or blazed in a LONG time, so keeping track of it took some doing. I like getting off the highway and doing the back roads once in a while.

HikerMom58
02-27-2013, 17:04
Well, I had been there before on a good day. At least I had a good day on Dragons tooth, which was more important. Looks like I took the Lamberts Meadow trail at Brickeys gap. Hadn't been maintained or blazed in a LONG time, so keeping track of it took some doing. I like getting off the highway and doing the back roads once in a while.

Good!! :) Yeah, I love the Knob but Dragon's tooth is amazing as is Tinker Cliffs.

mtntopper
02-27-2013, 18:39

There is a blue blaze trail that by passes Tinker Cliffs and rejoins the AT on the north side of the cliffs near the shelter. I have hiked it several times myself. At times it can be a little difficult to follow. The Andy Layne Trail I think is a yellow blazed trail that leaves the AT and goes down the mountain to route 779.
That is an old route of the AT going over to North Mtn.

Malto
02-27-2013, 19:51
Hikermom, heading back down for another dose of VA AT, a bit south this time. Hopefully I wouldn't have the ice from last January but I will be lugging my micro spikes just in case. Don't feel like scooting down the trail on my butt this trip!

HikerMom58
02-27-2013, 20:37
Hikermom, heading back down for another dose of VA AT, a bit south this time. Hopefully I wouldn't have the ice from last January but I will be lugging my micro spikes just in case. Don't feel like scooting down the trail on my butt this trip!

I hear ya Malto.. I still can't believe that weather turned on you like it did. Unbelievable! You know if you are lugging ur spikes, you won't need them! ;) BTW.. the Parkway, going north, hasn't reopened since you were here in January. Crazy! Let me know how your next trip turns out... it has to be better this time. Have fun, Malto. :)

canoe
02-27-2013, 21:44
nice piece... thanks for sharing

wcgornto
02-27-2013, 22:56

I had a glorious day for McAfee Knob and Tinker Cliffs. The weather turned very cold, very windy, very rainy and socked in the next day. It was a bit treacherous going up and over the exposed rock. Thus, Dragon's Tooth was out of the question.

johnnybgood
02-27-2013, 23:06
Glad you enjoyed the vistas. That 20 mile hike from Catawba , Rt.311 to Daleville can't be beat in good weather.
Camp atop of Tinker Cliffs and take in the lights of Roanoke from the rocks looking left in the distance.

Big Dawg
02-28-2013, 00:30
The Tooth, the Knob, The Cliff's,,,, yeah, a great section indeed!

Northern Lights
02-28-2013, 00:40
Very nice, but I'm disappointed to learn that my 2-3 week hikes only make me a day hiker :(

fredmugs
02-28-2013, 08:35
I like how he describes the view of the valley but won't get his fatass out of the shot.

q-tip
02-28-2013, 08:40
Best pic on the AT-Iconic....

Jeff
02-28-2013, 09:22
McAfee is likely the most photographed spot on the AT other than that Katahdin sign.

Cookerhiker
02-28-2013, 15:51
Best pic on the AT-Iconic....
And then there's this one:
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/3/2/img_2188p.jpg

HikerMom58
02-28-2013, 16:20
Keep the photo's and comments coming.. I love it!

Cute one Cookerhiker!

Sly
02-28-2013, 16:29
Very nice, but I'm disappointed to learn that my 2-3 week hikes only make me a day hiker :(

I think he said if you were a day hiker you're considered a section-hiker, not the other way around.

He also called it the National Park System.

HikerMom58
02-28-2013, 16:32
I think he said if you were a day hiker you're considered a section-hiker, not the other way around.

He also called it the National Park System.

Hey, it's ROANOKE.... nuff said. ;)

Sly
02-28-2013, 16:35
Hey, it's ROANOKE.... nuff said. ;)

Do you say Appa-latch-an or Appa-lay-she-an?

HikerMom58
02-28-2013, 16:42
Do you say Appa-latch-an or Appa-lay-she-an?

Both or something else... ha ha!! Whatever comes out. Appa-lay-shin. LOL!!

HikerMom58
02-28-2013, 16:48
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/67356_1662039275834_413044_n.jpg

Proof that the "locals" get out and hike! :) That's me and a guy from the local outdoor club- up on the Knob.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/71589_1662037795797_2231874_n.jpg

Me and my sweet daughter! Our friend (above) was making us laugh.....

rocketsocks
02-28-2013, 17:12
Awesome photo hiker Mom, looks great!

Jeff
02-28-2013, 17:23
Hey HikerMom,

After posting your photo you better go back and correct your "Age"....you have to be way younger !!!

Cookerhiker
02-28-2013, 17:43
From the Roanoke gathering organized by Hikerhead & J5Man 2 years ago this month. We had a pizza dinner that night in downtown Roanoke. It was nice to meet - in person for the first time - HikerMom, Lead Dog, The Captain, Graceful Roll, Jen Sprout, JohnnyBGood, Kerosene, JerseyDave, Ol' Mole, & Hobbs plus some of family members.

Stalking Tortoise
02-28-2013, 17:59
Crossed McAfee Knob on my section last March but the skies were overcast. Liked it so much that I returned over Easter weekend and got this classic picture.

HikerMom58
02-28-2013, 20:46
Awesome photo hiker Mom, looks great!

Thanks Socks! :)

Hey HikerMom,

After posting your photo you better go back and correct your "Age"....you have to be way younger !!!

Thanks Jeff.... that pic is a little over 2 years old. I'm looking more my age as the years roll along! :mad:

From the Roanoke gathering organized by Hikerhead & J5Man 2 years ago this month. We had a pizza dinner that night in downtown Roanoke. It was nice to meet - in person for the first time - HikerMom, Lead Dog, The Captain, Jen Sprout, JohnnyBGood, Kerosene, JerseyDave, Ol' Mole, & Hobbs plus some of family members.

Cookerhiker... that was a FUN time downtown Roanoke. So nice meeting you!! I remember meeting everyone you mentioned but it's taken me a while to match up faces to names. It's like -Hey, I met you in person before!!:cool: :)
I didn't do the hike but looks like you guys had a beautiful day!! :) Love! Thanks for sharing!

GrubbyJohn
05-26-2013, 23:54
21767The highlight of my section hike in 09

Tuckahoe
05-27-2013, 00:11
My trip to Dragons Tooth, McAfee Knob and Tinker Cliffs is now just a month away. Cant wait!

jarofkla
04-21-2015, 13:29
Thanks for the great pictures. I'll be adding mine here over Memorial Day weekend! Section hiking Map 3 (Bobblet's Gap to Craig Creek).

Question: Are Dragon's Teeth and Tinker Cliffs both on or near the Trail? We are squeezing in 60 miles over 3 days, so we don't have time to linger, but I do want to see all the sights we can while we are there.

If you want to track me LIVE (May 22nd - 25th, 2015) go here:

http://www.haygoodumc.com/ministry/hike-for-homes

SCRUB HIKER
04-21-2015, 14:43
Are Dragon's Teeth and Tinker Cliffs both on or near the Trail?

The trail is on the cliffs at Tinker. If you look closely you can see a white blaze on one of the trees. In other places it's painted on the rocks leading you around on the edge of the cliffs. It also goes about 10 feet from the Dragon's Tooth rock, which you're free to climb up (I highly encourage it).

jarofkla
05-27-2015, 07:08
Just finished my section hike through Dragon's Tooth, McAfee's Knob and Tinker Cliffs. I had no idea that Dragon's Tooth was so technical. We had only an hour or so of light left and had to get down before trying to night hike in full packs. Overall that section is quite beautiful. Loved Tinker Cliffs. Wish I had had time to camp overnight up there. My only regret.

rojotide
05-27-2015, 09:43
I've been there it is amazing!

mtntopper
05-27-2015, 22:04
Just finished my section hike through Dragon's Tooth, McAfee's Knob and Tinker Cliffs. I had no idea that Dragon's Tooth was so technical. We had only an hour or so of light left and had to get down before trying to night hike in full packs. Overall that section is quite beautiful. Loved Tinker Cliffs. Wish I had had time to camp overnight up there. My only regret.

Camping is not allowed on top at the cliffs. The shelter and campsite is located just north of Tinker cliffs.

jarofkla
05-28-2015, 09:42
Camping is not allowed on top at the cliffs. The shelter and campsite is located just north of Tinker cliffs.

Ha, next time you're up there post a sign. I passed 7 campsites on the cliffs on the way to the shelter.

mtntopper
05-28-2015, 17:54
Ha, next time you're up there post a sign. I passed 7 campsites on the cliffs on the way to the shelter.

We post signs. People rip them down. The cliffs are a beautiful place with some nice views, as is Dragons Tooth and The Knob. The fire rings are damaging. We as trail maintainers work very hard and many hours clearing trail, posting signs and cleaning up campsites and tearing down fire rings. That section of trail from Rout 311 to Daleville is heavily used as you could probably tell. This is a very challenging section of trail for our club to maintain. I did not mean to come across as some type of trail police. I am just trying to do my part to protect the area as best as possible. Speaking of signs....at the trail head in Daleville and at route 311 there are additional signs and information indicating where camping and tenting are allowed. I would like to invite you and any others to join out club for a work hike to work on the trail in that area. Our work hikes are listed on our clubs (RATC) meet up page.

jarofkla
05-29-2015, 10:55
mtntopper Thank you for what you do. I appreciate being able to hike the trail that is well maintained. My experience from Craig Creek Road to Bobblet's Gap was a positive one. The one concern I had involved the many fire rings I saw through the weekend. I guess I'm used to Shenandoah and their very limited allowance of campfire locations, this section had a large number of fire pits in comparison. Also, On my way to Tinker cliffs I had to put out a smoldering ember near the trail. Without the backing of a national park, what authority protects the trail from overuse?

Also, You did not come off as trail police. I understand the balance that needs to be managed between use/comfort and preservation. I tend to side on the preservation side myself. If I didn't live so far away, I'd consider assisting in trail maintenance. I normally have to support your efforts through donations.

mtntopper
05-29-2015, 19:48
[QUOTE=jarofkla;1974559]mtntopper Thank you for what you do. I appreciate being able to hike the trail that is well maintained. My experience from Craig Creek Road to Bobblet's Gap was a positive one. The one concern I had involved the many fire rings I saw through the weekend. I guess I'm used to Shenandoah and their very limited allowance of campfire locations, this section had a large number of fire pits in comparison. Also, On my way to Tinker cliffs I had to put out a smoldering ember near the trail. Without the backing of a national park, what authority protects the trail from overuse?

Also, You did not come off as trail police. I understand the balance that needs to be managed between use/comfort and preservation. I tend to side on the preservation side myself. If I didn't live so far away, I'd consider assisting in trail maintenance. I normally have to support your efforts through donations.

Thank you so much for understanding. I am glad you had a positive experience on your hike. Thank you for putting out the smoldering embers. So many people fail to do so. If you are ever in the area again and need some help with a shuttle please feel free to ask, I will do what I can.

hobbs
06-05-2015, 23:49
Mtntopper your with the RATC? I am hobbs that was in cookerhikers photo's he posted on the thread..I am good friends with hikermom...I just by chance on a whim came to WB..It's been along time since I posted here..But you will be happy to know this coming year you will have a new set of hands to help..I just joined the RATC this past month..Hope to meet you and others..Thanks everyone for posting your cool pic's...Love this area....

Yankee15
08-27-2015, 18:52
Tinker cliffs is far better than Mcafees unless you go at a weird hour, or unless you like feeling like you're at the mall.

kenp
08-27-2015, 18:58
OP link is a 404 (not found) now.