PDA

View Full Version : Food Dehydrator

Heater
06-15-2005, 23:33
I just fired up my first batch on my new Food dehydrator. Bananas and Mangos.
I can't stand paying the high prices for trail mixes and I want to make my own.
I researched a bit and went with the Nesco - American Harvester brand. I got the cheap one for now and will get the better one with more trays if I thinks it is worth it. Really, preparation of the food was no real trouble. (the Mangos were a little slimey to handle)

Any tips or tricks to share? :)

TakeABreak
06-16-2005, 00:34
If it is like the one I have with 4 trays, the heat comes out the bottom center and rises up drying the stuff on the bottom tray first. After a couple of hours, I would remove the trays and flip the stuff over on all trays restacking them in the same order as the came off. As items dry they take up less room, you can now move items from the second to first, going up to the top tray, this will give you room to add stuff to the top tray.

I kept mine running all the time when I was at home and awake (don't want to over dry stuff), clean the trays periodically, sometimes a good soaking is required (for the trays that is).

You can do lots of things, I found by slicing tomatoes with a really sharp knife I could cut them into eights and dry them, when done they taste just like sun dried tomatoes.

If you have the plastic liner to dry liquid type stuff like apple sauce, meat sauce, yogurt and stuff, these are great trail treat, I spread a really thin layer of olive oil on the liner to keep the apple sauce and yogurt from sticking when dry. Roll it up and cover in wax paper, a really thin layer of olive oil here will help keep it from sticking to the wax paper once again.

Some experimentation is required to get things just right, a book called "Dry it you'll like it" gives a lot of hints and idea's, a lot of large libraries have it on hand it is a small yellow paper (about the size of a readers digest), I did see it available from the ATC once, but don't know if it still is.

The only thing I did not like, that I tried, was tuna fish, It just did not come out very well.

Next, I would purchase a vacuum sealer, and vacuum seal the food as the batches come off (allowing them to cool a little of course, first), in portions for snacks and meals.

Alligator
06-16-2005, 09:58
I have tried using a timer but as TakeAbreak says the best way is to be home and awake. So start early in the morning.

littlelaurel59
06-16-2005, 10:56
I love my dehydrator!!!

I have dried fruits from apples to strawberries to watermelon (it takes a while, but the result is like taffy). Vegetables are a treat- I usually start with frozen veggies, except for pintos/kidney beans where canned work well. Hamburger dries well, but you want to start with very lean meat and drain well when you cook it. My son loves the beef jerky we make.

I have combined things to make chili (hamburger, beans, tomatoes, onions, chili powder, etc) and other concoctions. The result is something that is as light as freeze dried, only far cheaper and with less packaging.

My advice, read the directions and then experiment!!!

TakeABreak
06-16-2005, 16:21
Just thought I would add this, I also cut up a lot of vegetables, dried them, put them in one gallon zip locks when dried, then mixed them up real good, vacuum sealed them up, in quanties for one or two meals, For two meal packs, after taking out half I put the remainder in a extra zip lock I carried on the trail. I would add a little with almost every meal, and when I came to town my body was not craving veggies nearly as badly as everyone else.

When re-hyudrating, I would add them to the pot as the water began to warm. let it come to a boil. Shut off the stove, let them sit for about 5 minutes, reboil the water add my macaroni (for mac & cheese), cook as required, and it was good.

I made apple slices, beef jerky & turkey jerky, as well.

I would experiment with all suggestions before buying or making a lot of one item you may not like it.

Nightwalker
06-17-2005, 00:00
I love my dehydrator!!!
Me too! I've got some sausage in there drying right now. I do brown rice, hamburger, breakfast sausage, any and all kinds of veggies and banana chips. Haven't done any jerky yet.

Has anyone had any luck dehydrating canned tuna? I've tried it a few times, but it always comes out tasting--and smelling--like cheap salmon. I just gave up and figgered that would be one thing that I would have to leave the water in.

Heater
06-17-2005, 06:41
If it is like the one I have with 4 trays, the heat comes out the bottom center and rises up drying the stuff on the bottom tray first. After a couple of hours, I would remove the trays and flip the stuff over on all trays restacking them in the same order as the came off. As items dry they take up less room, you can now move items from the second to first, going up to the top tray, this will give you room to add stuff to the top tray.

Mine has the motor on top and draws air from vents on the bottom. It has channels built into the outside of trays that circulaye the warm air evenly throughout without rotating. It worked great!
:clap

I kept mine running all the time when I was at home and awake (don't want to over dry stuff), clean the trays periodically, sometimes a good soaking is required (for the trays that is).

You can do lots of things, I found by slicing tomatoes with a really sharp knife I could cut them into eights and dry them, when done they taste just like sun dried tomatoes.

Apples are next ror me then either jerky or tomatoes.

If you have the plastic liner to dry liquid type stuff like apple sauce, meat sauce, yogurt and stuff, these are great trail treat, I spread a really thin layer of olive oil on the liner to keep the apple sauce and yogurt from sticking when dry. Roll it up and cover in wax paper, a really thin layer of olive oil here will help keep it from sticking to the wax paper once again.

Some experimentation is required to get things just right, a book called "Dry it you'll like it" gives a lot of hints and idea's, a lot of large libraries have it on hand it is a small yellow paper (about the size of a readers digest), I did see it available from the ATC once, but don't know if it still is.

The only thing I did not like, that I tried, was tuna fish, It just did not come out very well.

I have the liquid tray and got a couple of extra for a total of three.

On the first load I sprayed the regular trays with Pam and that seemed to work well. I will get that book and there are also a couple of other I have seen that I would like.

Next, I would purchase a vacuum sealer, and vacuum seal the food as the batches come off (allowing them to cool a little of course, first), in portions for snacks and meals.
I have a foodsaver but it quit working... I'm gonna have to tinker with it or get a new one. They are cheaper now than when I bought mine.

Heater
06-17-2005, 06:47
I love my dehydrator!!!

I have dried fruits from apples to strawberries to watermelon (it takes a while, but the result is like taffy). Vegetables are a treat- I usually start with frozen veggies, except for pintos/kidney beans where canned work well. Hamburger dries well, but you want to start with very lean meat and drain well when you cook it. My son loves the beef jerky we make.

I have combined things to make chili (hamburger, beans, tomatoes, onions, chili powder, etc) and other concoctions. The result is something that is as light as freeze dried, only far cheaper and with less packaging.

My advice, read the directions and then experiment!!!
I am going to have to start experimenting with different recipes a lot.
I tried Lipton dinners but think I camn do better taste-wise and portion wise.

Heater
06-17-2005, 06:49
I have tried using a timer but as TakeAbreak says the best way is to be home and awake. So start early in the morning.
I took a nap. I like living on the edge! :jump :D

Heater
06-17-2005, 06:59
Just thought I would add this, I also cut up a lot of vegetables, dried them, put them in one gallon zip locks when dried, then mixed them up real good, vacuum sealed them up, in quanties for one or two meals, For two meal packs, after taking out half I put the remainder in a extra zip lock I carried on the trail. I would add a little with almost every meal, and when I came to town my body was not craving veggies nearly as badly as everyone else.

This reminded me of a real simple and tasty recipe I have for vegetable stew.

2 cans of stewed tomatoes
1 15 oz can on black beans (drained)
1 16 oz can of corn (drained)

I guess I could just dry the can of Tomatoes and substitue the corn by volume or weight.:confused:

Heater
06-17-2005, 07:06
Me too! I've got some sausage in there drying right now. I do brown rice, hamburger, breakfast sausage, any and all kinds of veggies and banana chips. Haven't done any jerky yet.

Has anyone had any luck dehydrating canned tuna? I've tried it a few times, but it always comes out tasting--and smelling--like cheap salmon. I just gave up and figgered that would be one thing that I would have to leave the water in.
I have heard tuna doesn't dry well. I guess the packaged stuff is the best option.

Little Frog
06-20-2005, 12:46
I have heard tuna doesn't dry well. I guess the packaged stuff is the best option.

I have tried dehydrating tuna, bad idea. It dried fine, ended up like hard dry wood. But it would not re-hydrate properly. Even soaking overnight or boiling failed to fully soften it, and it had a harsh, watery, bitter, unpleasant taste and texture.

I agree, if you want tuna on a hike, take the pouch, it's delicious!

stupe
06-20-2005, 14:03
Try drying zuccini. It dries relatively quickly, and rehydrates pretty quick, too. I dried baby carrots, sliced them lenthwise and they worked out great, although they need a cold water soak for a few hours. I dried a bunch of boiled canned hominy, it needs to soak for eight hours or so, and then it needs five minutes of simmering and some cozy time. It's especially good in a spicy soup. Hominy, like most southern food, is delicious enough to make a northbounder head back south.

TakeABreak
06-20-2005, 15:42
I experimented with drying Tuna, BAD Idea, horrible taste.

atraildreamer
07-04-2006, 19:05

Try rotating the trays periodically putting the bottom tray on top and moving the other trays down one position. This will help in getting a consistent drying of the food.

Try spraying your plastic liners with a food spray such as Pam. This will reduce the amount of oil needed and cut down on the possibility of the oil turning rancid during storage.

If you are making jerky, spray a tray liner with Pam and put it under the bottom tray. It will catch any dripping marinade and make cleanup very easy.

Be sure to stick the completed jerky in the oven for 1 hour at 160 degrees F to kill off any nasties that may be still lurking in the jerky. See the Nesco website for lots of useful information about this and recipes, etc., related to dehydrating foods.

Another good dehydrator website can be found at www.dehydrators.co.uk (http://www.dehydrators.co.uk) (http://www.dehydrators.co.uk) it is the site for the "Dehydrators Online" magazine for dehydrator users." Lots of good stuff... :sun

mweinstone
07-09-2006, 22:19
once while on a 5 year drying freak out,.......i started trying to dry weird things. once i dryed 50 lemons . they fit in the palm of my hand when i was done. they werent lemony and im an ass. you have to dry lemon juice. not the squeezed out devoid of juice carcasses i tryed to dry.and then there was the onions and the garlic. some easy things to dry. and they come out great with little effort. the problem is the smell keeps you up at night.crying.once i made jerkey out of good brisket and after alot of work it was drying in a jar ,open on the table when the dog ate it all. it represented 50 bucks, 16 hours of prep and drying, and 5 lbs of brisket.it wasnt my dog so i diddnt make a jerk of him.

rambunny
07-10-2006, 08:56
We also cook larger meals than nessasary,then dehydrate the leftovers and have them on hand for when we go out. Butchers sometimes will slice beef for you very thin if you let them know your making jerky-much better and chea[per than store bought. 20 lbs of beef made a whole thru hikes worth of jerky. Great idea to look at Dry it you'll like it!

Fofer
07-10-2006, 10:56
What kind of dehydraters does everyone have, and would you recomend it to someone else, i'm looking in to getting one.

Skidsteer
07-10-2006, 18:00
What kind of dehydraters does everyone have, and would you recomend it to someone else, i'm looking in to getting one.

Nesco brand from Wal-Mart, $39.95. I'm very happy with it.

There's also a thread on WB.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12742&highlight=dehydrator