PDA

View Full Version : Weather at the beginning of a SOBO?

Hatteras Jack
02-27-2013, 14:08
I'm trying to figure out how much cold weather clothing to bring at the start of my SOBO, leaving mid-July. I know it'll be warm to begin with on average, but what is the coldest weather I should plan for until I get to, say, Harper's Ferry (ETA late September/early October)?

Slo-go'en
02-27-2013, 14:30
Getting to Harpers Ferry by late Sept is pretty optimistic, but be that as it may, unlikely to get much below freezing anytime before late October once your out of New England.

Prime Time
02-27-2013, 15:18
The coldest on that timeline will probably be in the Whites or a couple of the higher peeks in Vermont. If I had to guess, I'd say mid to upper 30's over 4,000 feet and at night is quite possible, even likely.

The Gambler
02-27-2013, 15:54
certainly could get to freezing in the whites...i sobo'd in 2011...maine was hot unless raining and then it easile got into the low 50's...went the mahoussic notch in pouring rain,,,57 degrees...rain into a few nobo's who had no rain gear and no fleece...they were borderline hypothermic due to the inability to move fast enough to create body heat due to the terrain...in the whites i went from osgood tent site over mt madison and washington...probably close to 90 degrees until i was a mile form washington summit then the clouds moved in amd when i was on the summit i had all the clothes i had on including a fleece jacket a full rain gear..in august

Hatteras Jack
02-27-2013, 17:31
in the whites i went from osgood tent site over mt madison and washington...probably close to 90 degrees until i was a mile form washington summit then the clouds moved in amd when i was on the summit i had all the clothes i had on including a fleece jacket a full rain gear..in august

Thanks for the tips. You're confirming what I expected: I should be prepared for a lot of scenarios.