PDA

View Full Version : Do you hike with Gaiters?

LAS
02-27-2013, 14:26
I almost have everything I need for my SOBO thru hike this upcoming summer. One of the last remaining pieces Im debating if I should buy or not are gaiters. Im going to be wearing Merrell Moab Mids. I see REI has a cheap pair of desert gaiter. Are gaiters worthwhile or do they just become a nuisance? Thanks!

leaftye
02-27-2013, 14:36
No, but that's something you should figure out for yourself.

Prime Time
02-27-2013, 15:12
I use Dirty Girl's. $20. They are virtually weightless, spandex, close fitting gaiters that will keep dust, grit, pebbles from working their way into your trail shoes. This is important because that stuff over time can grind your feet raw and destroy your socks and you won't even know what caused it. They breathe well so perspiration build up is a non issue. They do nothing to keep the rain out, but that's a hopeless battle anyway so don't even wage it.

gizzy bear
02-27-2013, 15:21
I use Dirty Girl's. $20. They are virtually weightless, spandex, close fitting gaiters that will keep dust, grit, pebbles from working their way into your trail shoes. This is important because that stuff over time can grind your feet raw and destroy your socks and you won't even know what caused it. They breathe well so perspiration build up is a non issue. They do nothing to keep the rain out, but that's a hopeless battle anyway so don't even wage it.

good info...thanks...and LAS this is a a good question, one i have often wondered about as well...

hikernutcasey
02-27-2013, 15:30
Do you hike with gaitors?
I have never seen the need for them so no.

The Ace
02-27-2013, 15:31
I wear the low cut Merrell Moab Ventilators non-GTX version in warm weather. My feet will get wet, but dry out quickly. No gaitors because I just never get any junk working its way down into my shoes. I cannot explain why some people get stuff into their shoes/boots and others like me do not.

garlic08
02-27-2013, 15:32
I don't wear them.

FarmerChef
02-27-2013, 15:34
I don't wear them either but I do get junk in my shoes. The worst experience I had was breaking a stick in one stride and then having the tip of that broken stick pierce the side of my shoe. Didn't hurt me but left a hole in my shoe. I still wore it for 300 more miles but aside from that I just dump my shoes out at the end of the night. Honestly, with trail runners or equivalent I don't see how you keep the fine dirt and duff from coming in through the mesh. My socks are always brown well down in my shoes.

Pedaling Fool
02-27-2013, 15:36
No, but that's something you should figure out for yourself.That's probably true. I found out by starting my thru without them and I did wear boots above the ankles, but still ended up getting debris in my boots. So by Harper's Ferry I bought a cheap pair of ankle-high gaiters and never had that problem (muddy socks from sweat and dirt and little rocks/sticks) again. So, walk a thousand miles then re-evaluate :D

Schooley
02-27-2013, 15:44
Plus 1 on: gaiters keep dust, grit, pebbles from working their way into trail shoes and boots. This has been my experience and I like wearing my gaiters...I don't remember the brand but they sound very similar to the dirty girls.

The Gambler
02-27-2013, 15:45
nope...have before but no more

Southerner
02-27-2013, 15:48
I only used my gaiters (I have knee-highs) once or twice the entire time north of GSMNP. In fact, I almost sent them home. But, I was extremely glad to have them when I got hit with that huge Hurricane Sandy snow. If I was going SOBO again, I would probably get Dirty Girls to prevent debris from getting in my shoes (as suggested by Prime Time above) and then switch them out for my knee-highs as part of my winter re-gear.

Schooley
02-27-2013, 15:52
And a big plus one on: I cannot explain why some people get stuff into their shoes/boots and others like do not. I literally dump junk out of my boots if I don't wear scree gaiters and my buddy gas no problems at all. I can also tell a big difference in the dust and dirt that gathers in my shoes. This is what I wear: http://m.rei.com/mt/www.rei.com/product/801461/mountain-hardwear-scree-gaiters

Doc_of_the_bay
02-27-2013, 16:01
I wear them to keep sand and gravel out of my shoes, but also to keep ticks and chiggers out of my pants legs. With gaiters on, any ticks that get on my ankles crawl up the outside of my pants and are easy to spot and get rid of.

wookinpanub
02-27-2013, 16:10
I always take them. They are a great shield against minor dirt, debris, dampness, and brush. I have knee-highs that I pull up in the AM when the dew is on the grass/leaves. They can also be used for a little warmth. As the day warms and dew evaporates, I push them down to my ankles. I also pull them up in areas where the trail is overgrown. Could I do without them? Yes. Do I want to? No.

FatHead64
02-27-2013, 16:13
And a big plus one on: I cannot explain why some people get stuff into their shoes/boots and others like do not. I literally dump junk out of my boots if I don't wear scree gaiters and my buddy gas no problems at all. I can also tell a big difference in the dust and dirt that gathers in my shoes. This is what I wear: http://m.rei.com/mt/www.rei.com/product/801461/mountain-hardwear-scree-gaiters

+2 - but I do hike in snow and sand dunes. But they keep all sorts of crud out of my boots - so I am one of the unfortunate ones that gets that stuff in my boots. I have both hi and low gaiters and would tend to use the low exclusively unless I feel I need the height and insulation of high gaiters. Even here in Michigan in snow, if it isn't more than a few inches deep on average, I won't use the high gaiters. However, summer, winter, Michigan, GSMNP, I always have gaiters on. Works for me and they don't keep the rain out. The low gaiters I currently have came treated with Permethrin - they are from OR as I recall.

ChuckBrown
02-27-2013, 16:14
yup, Mountain hardwear, Ventigator, full length with venting mesh on calf area with a zip cover. saves alot of dirt and crap from getting in your sleeping bag.

Stink Bug
02-27-2013, 16:43

Another Dirty Girl user. Lightweight, functional, cheap and keep trail duff out of my shoes.

QiWiz
02-27-2013, 17:00
I hike with debris-attracting low cut trail runners.
I like the 1 oz per pair Dirty Girl gaiters to keep trail debris out.
If in snow or really wet weather expected, I like the eVent shorty gaiters from Integral Designs.

k2basecamp
02-27-2013, 17:15
I've used them but the strap that goes under the boot always breaks after 100 miles or so in the White Mts. Anybody know of any that have solved this problem? I had both break on the event intregal design ones I had.

Pedaling Fool
02-27-2013, 17:45
I've used them but the strap that goes under the boot always breaks after 100 miles or so in the White Mts. Anybody know of any that have solved this problem? I had both break on the event intregal design ones I had.I just stopped replacing that little stringy-thing and they still worked fine.

prain4u
02-27-2013, 17:54
I have hiked with GATORS down in Louisiana. :)

Ender
02-27-2013, 17:56
I started both my AT thru and PCT attempted thru with gaiters, and I lost them both early on in the trips when I forgot to put them back on after a break in the middle of the day. Neither time did I feel it was necessary to replace them. Unless I'm going out for full on winter hiking I won't bother at all with them any more.

Prime Time
02-27-2013, 18:49
I've used them but the strap that goes under the boot always breaks after 100 miles or so in the White Mts. Anybody know of any that have solved this problem? I had both break on the event intregal design ones I had.
Dirty Girls have no strap. They hook onto the front of your shoe at the shoelace and attach at the heel to a 1" strip of velcro that comes with them.

Feral Bill
02-27-2013, 19:25
Only for deep snow.

k2basecamp
02-27-2013, 22:50
Dirty Girls have no strap. They hook onto the front of your shoe at the shoelace and attach at the heel to a 1" strip of velcro that comes with them.

Well that sounds good to me i hope they have plain colors - the zebra print ones aren't my thing :)

The Snowman
02-27-2013, 23:26
not worth it in summer on the AT. winter a different matter.

SassyWindsor
02-28-2013, 00:57
I always hike with gaiters, OR(Outdoor Research) Low cut most of the time except in Deep Snow then I switch to the High, just below knees version.

Mags
02-28-2013, 01:46
Hiking? No.
Ski touring? Yes.
Tele skiing? No. The ski pants tuck into the boot.

T.S.Kobzol
02-28-2013, 06:43
I wear mine winter hiking

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

q-tip
02-28-2013, 08:42
+1 Dirty Girl Gaiters

QiWiz
02-28-2013, 11:51

Dirty Girl uses a velcro heel attachment. I have converted all my gaiters to this mode. I use gorilla glue to glue a velcro hook patch to the heel of all my trail runners and/or boots and sew a velcro fabric patch to the bottom hem of the gaiter. No under foot straps to wear, break, clog with snow, soak up water and add weight to my footwear.

Prime Time
02-28-2013, 12:31
Well that sounds good to me i hope they have plain colors - the zebra print ones aren't my thing :)
Oh come on, live a little! How about camo, or 60's pschycodelic?

Prime Time
02-28-2013, 12:34
Dirty Girl uses a velcro heel attachment. I have converted all my gaiters to this mode. I use gorilla glue to glue a velcro hook patch to the heel of all my trail runners and/or boots and sew a velcro fabric patch to the bottom hem of the gaiter. No under foot straps to wear, break, clog with snow, soak up water and add weight to my footwear.
You can save the Gorilla Glue step by buying about 3 feet of the self adhering velcro from Dirty Girl for about $4. That's, like, a lifetime supply and the stuff NEVER comes undone.

QiWiz
02-28-2013, 13:40
You can save the Gorilla Glue step by buying about 3 feet of the self adhering velcro from Dirty Girl for about $4. That's, like, a lifetime supply and the stuff NEVER comes undone.

Depending on the surface of the shoe you are sticking it to, I've had it come off after even one weekend - hence the Gorilla Glue. No GG failures so far after 100's of miles. Your experience may vary.

k2basecamp
02-28-2013, 13:42
Just ordered a pair of solid olive green ones from Dirty Girl. They do help keep debris out of your boots/shoes. Also keep your socks cleaner longer.

Mobius
02-28-2013, 14:07
Dirty Girl uses a velcro heel attachment.

For what it's worth I had a hard time getting the velcro strip to stay on my shoes (my fault: they are rarely clean). I haven't tried glue yet. Good idea. Thus far, for my uses anyway, the lack of velcro doesn't seem to matter matter. They work for me without the velcro. I have a photos of my very dirty leg and my very clean ankle somewhere. My walking style/gait causes me to kick up dirt (esp the dry/fine/sandy stuff) and the DirtyGirl gaiters help tremendously. Oddly when I run I don't need them -- just walking.

Creek Dancer
02-28-2013, 14:23
The only time I wear them is in deep snow, and I was always glad I did. Kept my pant legs drier and prevented snow from falling down into my boot.

Violent Green
02-28-2013, 14:31
I will wear them occasionally in warm weather. For some reason, I get tons of debris in my shoes while hiking. So, they keep all that stuff out which let's me keep on hiking instead of stopping, taking off my shoe, etc.

Ryan

Marta
02-28-2013, 14:37
Another only-in-snow wearer.

Yes, I get debris in my shoes. Whenever I stop for a break, I take off my shoes, shake them out, remove the insoles and let them dry in the sun, and even remove my socks and let socks and feet air out and dry. It's an ace way to prevent blisters.

Kerosene
02-28-2013, 14:45
I'll wear gaiters in snow or through wet grassy fields, but other than that I don't find them useful. I don't bring them for my Fall section hikes in New England.

RED-DOG
02-28-2013, 16:27
Bro thats something you need to figure out for your self.

kidchill
02-28-2013, 18:25
You may be okay with mid-tops like you'll be wearing. I didn't start with gaiters, but I was also wearing pants. Once I switched to hiking in board-shorts, my trail runners were overrun by trail junk. Sticks, dirt, pebbles, whatever! I can't stand having to stop and get stuff out of my shoes. Most of the people I saw with gaiters were using the dirty girl gaiters and had good things to say about them. I picked some up somewhere in NH...Mountain Hardware UL gaiters or something. If you get those, I recommend super-gluing the velcro to your shoes. When you change shoes, just rip the velcro patch off and re-super glue it to the new shoes. Those gaiters made it from NH to GA, the only thing that happened was the metal piece on the zipper broke, so I made a little fishing line hook to zip/unzip 'em.

RockDoc
02-28-2013, 20:48
Runfunky.com gaitors are a lot better than dirty girl. I've used both for years.
No need to buy them at REI; you are not mountaineering. Hiking is more like trail running, so use that gear.

Wise Old Owl
02-28-2013, 20:57
no need for the AT.

Del Q
02-28-2013, 21:15
Yes, I like gaiters. As I speak with and learn from really experienced hikers, I re-think my gear, etc.

Thru hiker Trek wears them, that is when I started..........they keep my laces tied, stuff out of my socks and low top hiking shoes.

Socks definitely stay cleaner.

hikingirl
02-28-2013, 21:34
I have thought about the use of these too. I looked at the Dirty Girls but they velcro to the back of your shoe?? How does this hold up in inclement weather day in and day out? Thanks

MuddyWaters
02-28-2013, 21:52
My son and I both use dirty girls as well, sometimes. Neither of us have have a good flat area on back of shoe for velcro to stick, have some ridges, etc. So have had problems keeping velcro on. Ive replaced several times, tried superglue, goop, etc. . Good thing is, generally they will stay put without it if it comes loose . More of a problem replacing with the wrong velcro, too small of hooks, that fill up with debris where it wont hold the velcro loops.

Others report no problems. With a good surface, cleaned with alcohol first, and let bond for 24hr before using. Just all depends I guess.

Someone on trail asked me where I got them once, and I answered dirtygirls.com. I really meant dirtygirlgaiters.com .
Im sure they got something else if they went to the site I said.

Mobius
02-28-2013, 22:47
Someone on trail asked me where I got them once, and I answered dirtygirls.com. I really meant dirtygirlgaiters.com .I m sure they got something else if they went to the site I said.

I imagine more than one family argument has started based on the "dirty girl" line on the credit card statement.

Prime Time
02-28-2013, 22:53
I have thought about the use of these too. I looked at the Dirty Girls but they velcro to the back of your shoe?? How does this hold up in inclement weather day in and day out? Thanks
The velcro works perfectly for me. The back of my shoes are not smooth either, so I use a 1.5 inch strip and hold it firmly in place for a minute or so before then letting it dry for 24 hours before using it. It has held for over a year and in every imaginable condition. This system is far better than the strap under the shoe. You won't be disappointed.

WalksInDark
03-01-2013, 18:33
OR shorty gaiters keep lots of small gravel and rocks out of my med. height boots. Yep, I use them even in the heat of summer.

illabelle
03-05-2013, 22:57
The only time I wear them is in deep snow, and I was always glad I did. Kept my pant legs drier and prevented snow from falling down into my boot.
We will be doing a section from Hot Springs to Davenport Gap next week. Supposed to be snowing a few inches tonight and tomorrow in the mountains. Maybe it will still be there when we go through. I haven't had much experience hiking in significant snow, and I've never used gaiters. Would the Dirty Girl Gaiters be effective in 2-foot drifts? Or do we need to look at getting something else?

Teacher & Snacktime
03-06-2013, 00:41
I have the same boots, and bought the same gaiters. I haven't used them yet, but my plan is that they're to provide some tick protection once treated with permetherin (all on the advice of the guy at REI). I think they'll be even more beneficial to my grandson who'll be wearing low lightweights.

takethisbread
03-06-2013, 14:17
I doubt it. Water finds a way. If you are that afraid of wet feet the only absolutely safe option I have found is high cut water proof boots. I rarely use gaiters, so take this with a grain of salt. Others swear by them in snow from
Keeping chunks of snow backfilling your boot. I doubt there will be instance of that where you are hiking except in a few short examples. I was just in that area last week hiking and I wore regular mid keens and shorts and was fine. There was snow, but not a lot.
We will be doing a section from Hot Springs to Davenport Gap next week. Supposed to be snowing a few inches tonight and tomorrow in the mountains. Maybe it will still be there when we go through. I haven't had much experience hiking in significant snow, and I've never used gaiters. Would the Dirty Girl Gaiters be effective in 2-foot drifts? Or do we need to look at getting something else?

kidchill
03-06-2013, 21:11
Unless your hikers are gortex, your feet are gonna get wet...gaiters aren't gonna matter at that point. I was climbing out of Pearisburg after Sandy hit and there were some drifts that were a good 2ft (more in some places) deep. One of the most uncomfortable days on the trail. Only way to keep dry at that point is high boots that are gortex. If you're wearing pants, the gaiters won't do much for you anyways. In response to the velcro attachment with the Dirty Girl gaiters, just krazy glue the velcro to the back of the shoe (preferably when the shoe is clean). Take your time and do it right. Put a fair amount of goop on there and hold it tight until it dries. I did this and had no problems with the velcro not staying on.

k2basecamp
03-06-2013, 21:42
Received my dirty girl olive green gaiters in just 2 days after ordering. Am very impressed with both their lightness and quality of construction.

SunnyWalker
04-03-2013, 00:20
Yes, ankle gaiters.