PDA

View Full Version : What pack do you use and how much does it weigh?

BirdBrain
02-27-2013, 14:54
My pack and gear weight is at about 28 lbs (before food and water). I notice many people saying they are around 18lbs - 22lbs. I am struggling to lower my base weight. Rather than ask advice on individual items, I though I would ask about the pack only. I have a couple of luxury items that most don't carry and don't want it debate those items.

I am using an medium Osprey Aether 60 that comes in at 76oz (4lb 12oz). I suspect this is heavier than many used by others. What do you use and how much does it weigh? I know this type of question has been asked before. Most of the time I see people ask "what is the best" type questions. I don't think this returns entirely honest answers. Rather than ask what is your dream pack, I want to know what is your real pack.

Prime Time
02-27-2013, 15:03
I have the Granite Gear Crown VC60. 2 lbs, 2 oz. It's a good comfortable pack that will easily carry 30 lbs.

Old Hiker
02-27-2013, 15:07
JanSport Klamath 75 - 3 lbs - 14 oz. Used to be an Alaska Tall - 7+ pounds !

Feral Bill
02-27-2013, 15:07
Mostly I use a Granite Gear Cornice, about 3 lbs, long out of production. Not sure of the volume, but small. For bulky winter loads, a Dana Terraplane (HEAVY!)

MDSection12
02-27-2013, 15:22
Kelty Coyote 75 - Just under six pounds. I'm not thrilled about my choice now, it will be replaced eventually... But if I ever do a longer trip requiring a heavier base weight it will be good to have.

hikernutcasey
02-27-2013, 15:29
Jansport Klamath 68 - 3 lbs 12 oz. Wishing it would hurry up and wear out so I can justify a ULA Circuit 2 lbs 7 oz to my wife. :)

Yukon
02-27-2013, 15:32
ULA Circuit here! Best pack I have had yet!!

garlic08
02-27-2013, 15:33
I'm still using an old discontinued Gossamer Gear G5 which weighs 9 oz. I am disappointed I can't replace it so I keep fixing it.

Starchild
02-27-2013, 15:34
REI Flash 62 at 3 lbs, I have been interested in a cuban/carbon fiber frame pack here at under a pound http://www.zpacks.com/backpacks/arc_blast.shtml

fredmugs
02-27-2013, 15:35
I needed a bigger pack for my JMT hike to accomodate my bear canister and I ended up buying a women's 85L Terrano (Men's 90L were out of stock at the time) from GoLite. It fits my 6' 3" frame nicely and weighs 3 lbs, 14 oz. For $99 this was a steal.

The Ace
02-27-2013, 15:35
Okay, I'll play. Mariposa Plus with the internal frame. Weighs 22.3 ounces.

jonojh
02-27-2013, 15:37
Jansport Katahdin 50 L weighing in at 2 lbs 1 oz. Base gear weight of 15 lbs. 14 oz.

Ktaadn
02-27-2013, 15:41
Granite Gear Virga. Listed at 19oz. I have the long which weighs in at 23.5oz on my home scale.

The Gambler
02-27-2013, 15:43
osprey exos 58...2lbs 8oz....used on my 2011 sobo...easily carried 30lbs....best pack i have ever used and i own 6..gregory..go lite..lowe alpine...etc

Slo-go'en
02-27-2013, 15:49
My favorate pack is an REI CRUISE UL @ 3 lb 3 oz. Saddly, this is also a discontinued pack. Looks like I'll have about a 16 pound base weight when I get to Springer middle of April for a 500 mile walk. Fully loaded, headed out of town I rarely go over 23 pounds.

I also have an Osprey Aether 60 and it is my least favorate pack. For some reason it just doesn't fit me right. Plus it's really heavy.

Lando11
02-27-2013, 15:58
My main multiday/thru hiking pack is an Osprey Exos 34(34 oz), but i'm currently looking to upgrade to something frameless/lightly framed. I love the pack, but my base weight is low enough (8.5 with 2+ being backpack) where i dont need a framed pack.

problem is I can't find any packs I like!

Coffee
02-27-2013, 16:12
I have a ULA Catalyst. Weight without the hand loops and hydration sleeve is 45.8 ounces. I bought this for my JMT thru hike. I probably would have gone with the Circuit if I wasn't planning lots of hiking in the Sierra with the bear can requirement. I have yet to fully test the pack but initial day hike with about 22 pounds (simulating base weight plus a couple days of food) went very well.

barf_jay
02-27-2013, 16:18
ULA circuit, with hand loops removed & hydration sleeve got me down to 36.8 oz...great pack!

scope
02-27-2013, 16:30
Golite Quest, 3.5lbs. I like having a relatively large outside pocket for my tarp, so I can get it out in the rain without opening the rest of my bag. This pack isn't the best overall, but I believe its one of the best values based on getting it on sale.

Now, what you should really be asking is what is on everybody's "wish list" = which is for me was ULA, but I've got a roving eye on the cuben packs.

drifter
02-27-2013, 16:35
+1 on the ULA Catalyst, opted for it vs. the Circuit to have a bit more room in cold weather. Wore out my old ULA P2 ..... Overall hard to beat IMO

Zmaidment
02-27-2013, 16:35
osprey exos 58...2lbs 8oz....used on my 2011 sobo...easily carried 30lbs....best pack i have ever used and i own 6..gregory..go lite..lowe alpine...etc
+1 on the osprey exos. I have the 46. Its 2lbs 5 oz. think it's the perfect thru pack. Smartly thought out. Reduced weight in things like straps and webbing. Still has a few bells and whistles such as the hiking pole side holder. Also has lifetime warranty

kayak karl
02-27-2013, 16:37
golite pinnacle 2 pounds

Stink Bug
02-27-2013, 16:41
Six Moon Designs Swift (3 season, extended trip) - 19oz
Gossamer Gear G4 (winter, extended trip) - 16oz
Gossamer Gear Murmer (3 season, weekend trips) - 11oz

:)

broken arrow
02-27-2013, 16:42
SMD Swift. 15 ounces. my total (w/4 days of food & 2 gatorade bottles) 18 lbs.

wicca witch
02-27-2013, 16:43
Deuter 65+10 Internal frame-3lbs. 65-70 lbs. after gear & food. I am very comfortable with this pack,have no problems hiking up or down mts.

prain4u
02-27-2013, 16:45
GoLite Pinnacle. The year/version that I own weighs 1 lb 9oz.. (Newer version is right at 2 lbs) I have hauled just over 40 lbs in it on a 10 day no resupply hike. (That is really pushing the limits of this pack). It is better at around the 20-25 lb weight. Over 30 starts putting some strain on the shoulders. It is over 70 liters in total size (at least according to the specification listed online).

diyguy
02-27-2013, 16:50
I used a Moonbow Gearskin -- I trimmed it a bit and it weighs 709g/25oz. You can carry some crazy sized loads with this rig if needed.

QiWiz
02-27-2013, 16:56
For AT hiking with resupply every 3-6 days, would carry a Gossamer Gear Gorilla.
For weekend trips other than winter, would carry a Gossamer Gear Murmur.

These lighter packs tend to be considerably smaller, so they are part of a whole gear system change.
A relatively large pack that is still light would be the Gossamer Gear G4.

ULA also has some fairly high volume fairly light packs.

Fur Queue
02-27-2013, 17:02
After reading many many reviews and much forum cross referencing and input...and trying them on for fit....I found it was a close call between the VC 60 and the Osprey Exos....I settled on the Exos 46, more features and better price to weight ratio for my needs....couldn't tell you a thing about performance...it works really well in the packaging! My base weight will be around 12-13lbs depending on which camera I end up taking....

1azarus
02-27-2013, 17:04
I use a gossamer gear mariposa plus without the aluminum stays (about 20 ounces) when I hike with my 15 degree sleeping bag/loads up to around 20 pounds total, and a gossamer gear murmur (about 9 ounces) when I hike with my 35 degree bag/loads up to around 15 pounds total.

bannerstone
02-27-2013, 17:06
ULA Ohm 1.5lbs, duing the summer I'm under 10lbs before food and water, even in the winter I can usually keep total weight with food and water under 25lbs which is near max for this particular pack.

David

pelenaka
02-27-2013, 18:01
Kelty Redwing 50 that was before hubby err I mean Santa visited the pound a few months back.
Now I have a hiking buddy. He's a hybred dog, a Bassador so in his pack he only carries his brush, sleeping mat, coat, & water bowl. Now that I have to carry dog food and allot of it because we are slow hikers. Truthfully I was never that fast on the trail. In my daily life I walk or bike everywhere in the city so out in the wilderness I meander. I enjoy good meals that are low sodium & diabetic friendly.
I dehydrate garden produce anyways so I'm taking that skill farther adding in freeze dried items & packing my own hiker meals. Also trading in a majority of my camping gear for UL items.

The Redwing is very comfortable for me a 5'5" hiker.

Malto
02-27-2013, 18:17
MLD Burn listed at 11oz, but actually at about 13oz with custom pockets added for water and food on the hip belt.

G-FOURce
02-27-2013, 18:28
Gregory Z55 at 3lb2oz....wouldn't trade it for anything.

colorado_rob
02-27-2013, 18:38
The Osprey Exos 46 has been my favorite pack, perfect size and reasonable weight, but I've found it not to carry well for me when I get over 25 pounds total weight (12 pounds base, 2 liters water, 8+ pounds of food). The waist belt is just too big for the large sized version that I need for my torso length. So, I finally listened to a lot of folks on here and sprung for the ULA Ohm 2.0, significantly lighter than the Exos, same or maybe a tad more usable volume, and it carries significantly better for me; shoulder straps are more comfortable plus you can get a "small" waist belt on a "large" torso-sized pack. Voila! ULA it is! (but still, the Exos is a fine pack, just that the ULA is better for my build).

Stir Fry
02-27-2013, 18:43
ULA Circuit is what I have now, But I just ordered a ULA Air-X using Cuben fiber. With all the extras removed the pack should be arround 28-29 oz. It water proof so I can also drop Pack cover, and with the buile in sleeping pad don't need one of those eather.

Loneoak
02-27-2013, 18:47
I had the same pack as you and sold it yesterday. Excellent pack and I really liked it a lot but am trying to get my pack weight down, so looking to buy a new one soon. I really wanted to like the ULA packs but they just didn't fit me well, fit is a big plus if your doing some miles. Right now I am looking at the Elemental Horizon's pack the Kalais

Chuckie V
02-27-2013, 19:02
Rather than ask what is your dream pack, I want to know what is your real pack.

Hey BirdBrain,
Like many of us here, I own a few different packs. The ones I tend to revert on longer hikes (and not just weekend trips or climbs) are the Six Moons designs Essence (no longer manufactured), weighing 12 ounces (and intended for much lighter loads than yours) and the ULA CDT (http://www.ula-equipment.com/cdt.asp), weighing 17-ounces (when trimmed of all the fixings). At nearly 5-pounds, your pack can easily be replaced with a lighter one, and yet still be capable of carrying the load you have. The lighter packs, as I'm sure you know, are best with lighter loads, but I still manage 30 or so pounds with both my packs quite often. While my base weight is less than half of yours, I carry a lot of calories on board, so I can travel slowly!

buldogge
02-27-2013, 19:45
Different packs for different situations/seasons/environments:

Zimmerbuilt custom, 45L, 31oz.
ZPacks Blast 30, w/options, 16oz.
Lowe Alpine Nanon 35/40, 38oz.
Marmot Kompressor Summit, 28L, 23oz.

-Mark in St. Louis

hikerboy57
02-27-2013, 19:52
MLD Burn listed at 11oz, but actually at about 13oz with custom pockets added for water and food on the hip belt.

how much weight can you carry in this?

Venchka
02-27-2013, 19:53
Pack: Dana Designs ArcFlex Terraplane
Weight: Don't know. Don't care.
The Terraplane works for me.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Wayne

bigcranky
02-27-2013, 20:07
ULA Circuit.

But you're doing it wrong. Seriously. :) If your base weight is 28 pounds right now, and food and water pushes that to 40+, then you really do need that Aether 60. Getting a lighter pack won't help -- it'll save 2 pounds, so now you're at 38 total weight, and there aren't many (any?) 2 pound packs that will carry that in any comfort.

Better to get that base weight to 15 or 18 and look for that 2 pound pack. I'd recommend the Circuit ;)

Malto
02-27-2013, 20:53
how much weight can you carry in this?

the heaviest I had it was about thirty with seven days of food, four lbs of water and eight lbs of gear. It was too much until I ate it down to about 25lb. The other issue is the volume is perfect for five days worth of food so I had to get creative to hold the first two days. In this scenario I had about six lbs in the hip belt pockets helping to distribute the weight, so it can comfortably hold 20 lbs on my back. Hope that makes sense.

hikerboy57
02-27-2013, 21:25
the heaviest I had it was about thirty with seven days of food, four lbs of water and eight lbs of gear. It was too much until I ate it down to about 25lb. The other issue is the volume is perfect for five days worth of food so I had to get creative to hold the first two days. In this scenario I had about six lbs in the hip belt pockets helping to distribute the weight, so it can comfortably hold 20 lbs on my back. Hope that makes sense.well im definitely in the market for a new pack. ive been using an atmos 65 whcich is now a bit big for 3 season hiking( im usually around 25lbs with food and water for 5 days), and the hipbelt is just a tad too big for me after 3 or 4 days on the trail,i love the pack, was thinking of just changiing to an atmos50, butt ill have to see if the hipbelt issue is still there. the other pack im considering is the ula circuit, lotta guys seem to like it, but im glad this thread was started, hadnt heard much about mountain laurel packs till you mentioned it. thanks

Malto
02-27-2013, 21:40
well im definitely in the market for a new pack. ive been using an atmos 65 whcich is now a bit big for 3 season hiking( im usually around 25lbs with food and water for 5 days), and the hipbelt is just a tad too big for me after 3 or 4 days on the trail,i love the pack, was thinking of just changiing to an atmos50, butt ill have to see if the hipbelt issue is still there. the other pack im considering is the ula circuit, lotta guys seem to like it, but im glad this thread was started, hadnt heard much about mountain laurel packs till you mentioned it. thanks

Look at one of the models with a larger volume than the burn. The burn is very small. It is great if you have a low volume load which I do but if was using a tent vs tarp then I would upsize with very little weight penalty. I also like that MLD makes lightweight packs using dyneema. My burn has over 4000 miles on it and still has a few more.

MuddyWaters
02-27-2013, 21:53
ULA circuit - over 20 lbs
ULA Ohm original - 22.5 oz - under 20 lbs

buldogge
02-28-2013, 00:11
OP. You've got ULA Catalyst written all over you (right now anyways)...

-Mark in St. Louis

BirdBrain
02-28-2013, 02:10
ULA Circuit.

But you're doing it wrong. Seriously. :) If your base weight is 28 pounds right now, and food and water pushes that to 40+, then you really do need that Aether 60. Getting a lighter pack won't help -- it'll save 2 pounds, so now you're at 38 total weight, and there aren't many (any?) 2 pound packs that will carry that in any comfort.

Better to get that base weight to 15 or 18 and look for that 2 pound pack. I'd recommend the Circuit ;)

To all: Thank you for all the responses. For the most part, this is the information I was seeking. I was looking for raw data. I find raw data much more useful than opinions. Raw data is reality and opinion is often just fantasy.

To bigcranky: Whenever I see you reply to a subject, I slow down a read carefully. Your posts are blunt, to the point, and often very helpful. My hike is unique. I am doing a slow walk across Maine. This walk incorporates a few luxury items that would not normally be carried on a thru hike. For this reason, I will not be able to lower my base weight much more. I will not mention the luxury items because it is not the point of the questions and I am not seeking opinion on them. Although I was not looking for opinion, your post has given me the answer I sought. Thank you.

Firefighter503
02-28-2013, 08:05
I carry an Ohm 2.0 with a cold weather base of just under 10 lbs.

bigcranky
02-28-2013, 08:20
My hike is unique. I am doing a slow walk across Maine. This walk incorporates a few luxury items that would not normally be carried on a thru hike. For this reason, I will not be able to lower my base weight much more.

This sounds like fun. And thanks for the kind words. :)

Don H
02-28-2013, 08:29
You say you want to cut pack weight but you're not willing to cut the rest of your gear weight?. You won't be happy putting 40 pounds in a 2 pound pack.

I use a Granite Gear Crown 60 at 2.2 pounds and carry about 12 pounds base weight depending on the season. Your gear probably won't fit in it or be comfortable.

no-name
02-28-2013, 08:44
REI Flash 65 at around 3 pounds. Over 400 miles during three good section hikes, and still looks new. I carry between 25 and 35 pounds total.

T-Rx
02-28-2013, 09:44
ULA Catalyst, 2 lbs. 11oz. Very comfortable and it does adjust well to different weight loads.

juma
02-28-2013, 10:06
I use a 68 liter (est) zpack that weighs 16 ounces. easily carries bear cans and full winter gear load.

BirdBrain
02-28-2013, 10:29
You say you want to cut pack weight but you're not willing to cut the rest of your gear weight?. You won't be happy putting 40 pounds in a 2 pound pack.

I use a Granite Gear Crown 60 at 2.2 pounds and carry about 12 pounds base weight depending on the season. Your gear probably won't fit in it or be comfortable.

I said no such things. I did not say that I am seeking to put my gear in a 2 lb pack or that I am unwilling to cut the rest of my gear weight. I would gladly debate the non luxury items. I am doing everything I can to minimize their weights. But none of this was the point of my thread. I was curious what people are carrying for a pack.

Whiteblaze is hilarious. I have been clear that the contents in the pack is not the point of this thread, but invariably people debate the contents of the pack. Don't get me wrong. I am not being super critical. I do the same thing. We all want to help. I think many miss this intent. It is not lost on me. bigcranky did the same thing and was very helpful.

Your comments echo many other's. If I do a thru hike, my setup would be vastly different. I don't want to go into why I sought raw data beyond what I stated above, because that would be debated too. Thank you for your input. It was helpful too.

Drybones
02-28-2013, 10:59
I have the Granite Gear Crown VC60. 2 lbs, 2 oz. It's a good comfortable pack that will easily carry 30 lbs.

I also have the Granite Gear Crown 60 at 2lb-2oz, I believe it would be good to at least 35 lbs, but never carry that much.

Drybones
02-28-2013, 11:06

Have not tried to prove this, but, I have a Deuter ACT 65+10 and an REI Flash 65 and I believe the Crown 60 will hold as much stuff...and much more comfortable.

BirdBrain
02-28-2013, 11:13
Have not tried to prove this, but, I have a Deuter ACT 65+10 and an REI Flash 65 and I believe the Crown 60 will hold as much stuff...and much more comfortable.

Another encouraging thing to me is how many packs people have. Let's see if the wife is as excited. :)

Drybones
02-28-2013, 11:22
Another encouraging thing to me is how many packs people have. Let's see if the wife is as excited. :)

Trial and error is an expensive way to learn, I have 5 packs and at least as many tents and sleeping bags, I'm planning a major gear sale in the near future, I probably have more gear in my basement than some outfitters.

Coffee Rules!
02-28-2013, 11:29
Osprey Atmos, 65 L. Weight: I'm guessing it's pretty close to what the REI website said but I've never weighed it nor do I care to. It's what I have. It fit comfortably, I like it, and if I don't cram the full 65L of space it rolls/squishes down nicely.

Stir Fry
02-28-2013, 11:31
Amen I could outfit a small boyscott troup.

Tuckahoe
02-28-2013, 11:33
I carry an external frame Kelty Trekker 3950. It comes in at at about 5 pounds. And on my last trip my total starting pack weight with 4 days of food and 2 quarts of water was 28 pounds

Venchka
02-28-2013, 12:07
Pack: Dana Designs ArcFlex Terraplane
Weight: Don't know. Don't care.
The Terraplane works for me.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Wayne

The whole story...Jumping in the Wayback Machine...

Back in the Dark Ages. After a couple of failed attempts with less than perfect frame+bag combinations, I stumbled upon the Jensen Backpack from Rivendell Mountain Works in Victor, Idaho. A frameless design and, unless somebody can prove otherwise, the first Ultralight Backpack capable of carrying 40 pounds or more. I still have this pack. The more I read about the AT, I might just use it on the AT. I was also amazed to learn that the packs are still being produced. Who knew? My only regret was not buying the Large (Giant today) version originally. I do have the external pockets which add considerable volume and storage versatility. Weight is probably under 3 pounds, I know-The Horror of such a heavy pack :D, with the pockets.

http://www.rivendellmountainworks.com/about-our-packs/jensen-packs/

The third backpack in my inventory is a panel loading Osprey Zephyr from the mid-90s. I originally used this pack as carry on luggage when I was commuting between New Orleans Chevron's Tengiz facility in Kazakhstan. More recently I have used the Zephyr to haul a ton of Linhof 4x5 camera, 3 lenses, film holders, etc., etc. No idea of weight, definitely in between the Jensen and the Terraplane. Educated guess: 4 pounds. (+ or -). Capacity: 3,000-3,500 cu. in., + or -. I am also giving this pack serious consideration for the AT.

There you have have it. 3 very different load carrying solutions. So many packs. So little time.

Wayne

Zmaidment
02-28-2013, 12:44
After reading many many reviews and much forum cross referencing and input...and trying them on for fit....I found it was a close call between the VC 60 and the Osprey Exos....I settled on the Exos 46, more features and better price to weight ratio for my needs....couldn't tell you a thing about performance...it works really well in the packaging! My base weight will be around 12-13lbs depending on which camera I end up taking....
I win! Sweet.

BirdBrain
02-28-2013, 12:50
I win! Sweet.

Okay... grabbing the e-brake and commencing serious thread drift.

What did you win?

Kerosene
02-28-2013, 14:43
Today I use a 9-year old Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone with Top Lid, weighing in at 48 oz (3 lbs), to carry 25-27 pounds for Spring/Fall section hikes with 3-4 days of food & water.
The Kelty Tioga I used for my late 70's hikes typically came to 40 pounds, and the Dana Designs Terraplane X I replaced it with in 2000 (the frame broke after sitting in the garage for decades) was a 7.5-lb behemoth that easily could lug 45 pounds or more.
I'm looking at the ULA Ohm 2.0 (http://www.ula-equipment.com/ohm-2.asp), zPacks Arc Blast (http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/backpack_lid.shtml), HMG Windrider (http://www.hyperlitemountaingear.com/packs/2400-windrider.html), Granite Gear Crown (http://www.granitegearstore.com/Crown-VC-60-P313C67.aspx), and Gossamer Gear Gorilla (http://gossamergear.com/packs/gorilla-2012-ultralight-backpack.html)to get my total Spring/Fall carry weight down below 25 pounds with full supplies.

JustRob
02-28-2013, 18:18
Eberlestock V69 Destroyer. 7lbs 2oz. :p

RockDoc
02-28-2013, 21:09
After 40 years of this stuff I have a lot of equipment to choose from but for solo hiking I use the SMD Swift (15 oz), a Gatewood cape (11 oz), TYVEK ground sheet (7.5 oz), and a down bag (REI Mohave, 46 oz). That's 79.5 oz for the big 3. A little under 5 lbs. I did 475 miles of Virginia in 26 days in 2011 with this outfit.

With my wife I carry a bigger tarp tent (Rainbow 42 oz), which generally calls for a bigger pack (SMD Starlight; 24 oz); 7.5 lb base weight for big 3.

on_the_GOEZ
03-01-2013, 04:58
ULA CDT - weighs under a lb. trimmed and washes with the rest of my laundry in town. Love the simple dyneema construction, and the fantastic customer service is what keeps me coming back

rusty bumper
03-01-2013, 10:02
Gossamer Gear Mariposa Plus....22 oz

w00dchuck
03-01-2013, 11:24
Another vote for the GG crown 60 here. It's a key reason my base weight w/o food and water runs around 18lbs. :D

illabelle
03-01-2013, 14:44
Deuter 65+10 Internal frame-3lbs. 65-70 lbs. after gear & food. I am very comfortable with this pack,have no problems hiking up or down mts.
I have this pack, and I really like it that it is both top and front loading, with a separate sleeping bag compartment. I didn't think it was only 3 lbs though, so I went to the website. Deuter says it weighs 7 lbs! When we bought it, I thought it was just over 6.... Doesn't matter, I like it, and I'll keep using it.

not_possible
03-01-2013, 20:44
I have the Aether 60, had it loaded up to 45lbs total to try it out and it works for me. I won't have quite that much on my thru hike, but it's nice to know I could without it being unbearable if I end up carrying more food/water on certain sections. It's my only backpacking pack right now, but I plan to add a lighter pack eventually for smaller loads...ULA probably. I have a few tactical packs, heaviest being my Terminator F4 at almost 10lbs. I wouldn't want to hike long distances with it, but it serves it's purpose for weekend shooting courses. The Aether was my middle ground, I wanted durability and something kind of mid range in size with the ability to hold fairly substantial weight without being uncomfortable...for that I kept going back to the Aether and finally bought it. Plus, it looks good in Tundra green...I just despise bright and flashy gear.