PDA

View Full Version : Broken Trekking Pole...

Greyson2
02-27-2013, 15:28
I have a set of REI Traverse Powerlock Trekking poles and one of the (plastic) locks broke in half. I have been looking all over online trying to find out if they sell that little piece to replace my broken one, but i am having no luck. Hoping someone here has suggestions.....

DeerPath
02-27-2013, 15:57
Have you checked with REI? They might repair for free.

flemdawg1
02-27-2013, 16:08
If you bought it from REI, just return it for free.

FlyPaper
02-27-2013, 17:10
I have a set of REI Traverse Powerlock Trekking poles and one of the (plastic) locks broke in half. I have been looking all over online trying to find out if they sell that little piece to replace my broken one, but i am having no luck. Hoping someone here has suggestions.....

I had a part break on Black Diamond trekking poles. I wrote the manufacturer asking about getting the part. I figured the part cost less than $1. I mentioned in my email
that if I took it back to REI, they'd almost certainly just exchange them for brand new. Seemed wasteful to me for such a simple part.

The manufacturer just sent the part for free. Presumably they realized that it is not in their best interest for the poles to be returned to REI and were more than happy
to send me the part for free. I would have been fine even if they charged a couple of dollars.

If you can contact the right person at the manufacturer, they'll probably send it for free. If you take them back to REI, likely the store will just exchange them for new
poles rather than try to repair them.

Greyson2
02-27-2013, 21:47

They are about a year old, I didn't think they would do anything for me. I guess I will go and ask for there help. Thanks for the input guys.

RedBeerd
02-28-2013, 13:22

They are about a year old, I didn't think they would do anything for me. I guess I will go and ask for there help. Thanks for the input guys.

They with replace them. Trust me.

k2basecamp
02-28-2013, 13:27
Speaking of hiking poles - coming off of Wildcat towards 16 southbound there's a section where the trail looks like it goes straight over a cliff but there's a bypass to the left. There must be 5or 6 single poles over the cliff in the woods where hikers decided to go over the cliff.

slowfeet
03-01-2013, 12:08
I don't remember the (exact) section you are talking about... but randomly I broke my clamp on the REI Traverse poles somewhere in the Wildcats section.

OP- REI will replace or fix them in store or refund you if you want to return them. In my case, REI express mailed(fedex overnight) me a new set for free on their dime since I was thru hiking and closest REI was probably a couple states away. I had to return my old ones after the new ones were received.
IMO the clamps on the Traverse are the weak point. I liked my REI poles better than the Leki corklites I have now, but, support/parts on the trail/town were hard to find.
If REI will give you an extra clamp for a backup, I'd take it.

Speaking of hiking poles - coming off of Wildcat towards 16 southbound there's a section where the trail looks like it goes straight over a cliff but there's a bypass to the left. There must be 5or 6 single poles over the cliff in the woods where hikers decided to go over the cliff.