PDA

View Full Version : So I've been rejected twice

wornoutboots
02-27-2013, 16:55
I sent in my requests one minute after they start accepting my date & they keep getting rejected. It's only me so I thought it would be easy? I am putting that I want a permit to hike Halfdome on it, Should I take that off? If I do, can I still get a permit to climb it? Is there another trail head, that has easier acceptance than Happy Isles?

TNhiker
02-27-2013, 17:00
i got reservations a few years ago for what is called a "pass through" permit (i think that's what it's called).

it wouldnt allow me to camp at little yosemite valley but i would have to camp furthur on..........but the permit was good for a trip up half dome......

and i surely didnt get the permit on the first date of acceptance......

wcgornto
02-27-2013, 17:16
I sent in my requests one minute after they start accepting my date & they keep getting rejected. It's only me so I thought it would be easy? I am putting that I want a permit to hike Halfdome on it, Should I take that off? If I do, can I still get a permit to climb it? Is there another trail head, that has easier acceptance than Happy Isles?

You might want to join the Yahoo JMT Group. A number of different permit strategies and alternative trail heads are outlined there.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/johnmuirtrail/

I don't believe that requesting a half dome permit has any bearing on whether or not you receive your underlying trail head request. The limits for Happy Isles permits are quite restrictive and it is the most popular JMT starting point ... by far. As for myself, I didn't request a Half Dome permit at all, as I plan to go up Cloud's Rest instead (fewer people, higher summit, 360 degree views).

A lot of people who don't receive advance permits for Happy Isles starting point receive walk up permits on the day of or day before their initial planned date, as 40% of the permits are held back for this type of issuance. If you have a day or two flexibility as to start date, this alternative would likely work for you.

The Yahoo JMT group has a wealth of information that will help answer your questions in detail.

wornoutboots
02-27-2013, 17:18
Thoughts, positives or negative on starting at Glacier Point?

Coffee
02-27-2013, 17:20

The Panorama Trail has great views but you would miss the first few miles of the JMT itself. If you are a purist, you can day hike the Happy Isles to Nevada Falls section the day before starting at Glacier Point to do the full JMT.

Bus to GP is $25 which I think is too high. Could add up if you have multiple people in your group.

wcgornto
02-27-2013, 17:50

Glacier point is also a popular trail head, probably second to Happy Isles, and may also result in rejects. A few other other options are: Happy Isles - Illilouette Falls; Mirror Lake; Mono Meadow; Porcupine Creek and Sunrise Lakes. All of these options join the JMT after a day or so of hiking other adjoining trails.

wcgornto
02-27-2013, 17:54
I sent in my requests one minute after they start accepting my date & they keep getting rejected.

FYI, every permit application fax received between 5:00 PM and 7:30 AM the next morning are sorted through randomly for permit issuance. Getting the fax in earlier or later in that time frame presumably doesn't make any difference.

Malto
02-27-2013, 20:46
I started at one of the trailheads up off Tioga Road, hiked to Whitney, hitchhiker back then day hiked down to the valley. Much easier to get a permit, several different options.

wornoutboots
02-27-2013, 21:26
FYI, every permit application fax received between 5:00 PM and 7:30 AM the next morning are sorted through randomly for permit issuance. Getting the fax in earlier or later in that time frame presumably doesn't make any difference.

Thanks!! I'm just going to put it in my Fax machine & let the redial do the rest as I head out for a few miles in my new Brooks that were delivered today. I did put Glacier as my 1st option, since I thought HI looks waaay too crowded.

q-tip
02-28-2013, 08:52
I called and I guess I got lucky, they processed my application over the phone which I got through on the second call. ,with the Half Dome trip. When I called, they had only 2-1 person slots left, and this was exactly the 24 weeks in advance-. I paid with a credit card. done....

CarlZ993
02-28-2013, 10:53
I called and I guess I got lucky, they processed my application over the phone which I got through on the second call. ,with the Half Dome trip. When I called, they had only 2-1 person slots left, and this was exactly the 24 weeks in advance-. I paid with a credit card. done....
Congrats!!! You'll really enjoy the hike. It is truly spectacular.

wornoutboots
02-28-2013, 20:16
I Hate you q-tip... JK :D Glad you got hooked up, I got turned down again today. I haven't been turned down this much in one week since high school. But I am learning everyday!! I didn't even know you could call & get a spot. I'll fax tonight & give em a buzz tomorrow. Weee'l Git R Done soon

DaFireMedic
03-19-2013, 11:28
I Hate you q-tip... JK :D Glad you got hooked up, I got turned down again today. I haven't been turned down this much in one week since high school. But I am learning everyday!! I didn't even know you could call & get a spot. I'll fax tonight & give em a buzz tomorrow. Weee'l Git R Done soon

When I did my hike last year, I couldn't get confirmation with work and such that I would be able to go until 3 months before the hike, so applying for the permits ahead of time was not an option. I had my wife drop my son and I off at midnight at the wilderness center in Yosemite Valley to wait for the center to open for permits (they don't issue them until 11 a.m.), as I didn't want to take the chance of a large group coming in and snaring all the walk in permits (we needed 3). A group of 12 did come in at about 8 a.m., but it turned out that there were still permits available to everyone who got in line before 9:30 a.m. or so on that morning. I wasn't going to take the chance though.

For future use, if you end up not being able to get a permit in advance, show up at the wilderness center before 6 a.m. and you will almost certainly get a permit, or even earlier if you must start on the following day and don't want to take the chance.

Regarding starting from other trailheads, its an option but not necessary and I would definitely recommend starting at Happy Isles. Besides taking your picture at the sign that says "Mt. Whitney via John Muir Trail - 211 miles", which has become kind of a traditional right of passage for JMT hikers, the trail up out of the valley is one of the most scenic in the world and really not to be missed if at all possible.

DaFireMedic
03-19-2013, 11:49
Sorry, I wanted to add a few things that may help as well. First, if want to do Half Dome it will indeed have no bearing on your ability to get a permit for the JMT, other than you would be competing against Half Dome day hikers for one of the trailhead permits. The ranger asked if we wanted to do Half Dome as well and was ready to write it on the permit had we gave the affirmative response. We didn't (I'd done it before, and we didn't have time last year).

The pass-through permits mentioned by TNHiker are for those who do not want to camp the first night in Little Yosemite campground. We wanted to go a little farther the first day to Sunrise Creek, so this is what we got. There are limited numbers of each type of permit.

Finally, if you end up getting one of the walk in permits, they are issued for you to start the following day. This means that you will have to spend the night in the valley that night before starting your hike the next morning. If you were unable to get lodging reservations within the Valley beforehand (we couldn't, they were all taken more than 3 months in advance), you can use the backpackers campground for $5 a night and because you must have an overnight wilderness permit for one of the Valley trailheads to camp there, there are always spaces available. The rangers checked permits a couple of times the night we were there.

Hope this helps.

staehpj1
03-19-2013, 12:05
Regarding starting from other trailheads, its an option but not necessary and I would definitely recommend starting at Happy Isles. Besides taking your picture at the sign that says "Mt. Whitney via John Muir Trail - 211 miles", which has become kind of a traditional right of passage for JMT hikers, the trail up out of the valley is one of the most scenic in the world and really not to be missed if at all possible.
It would be nice to have a picture there at the start. The trail from Glacier Point is also very scenic, but the bus there is expensive and it means a later start than I would like even with the earliest bus. I got a Glacier Point permit reservation, but may see if I can get a Happy Isles walk up permit when I get there.