PDA

View Full Version : Fathers Day Hike with kids

MOWGLI
06-16-2005, 08:30
Ok -Fathers Day is almost here. That's one day where you could potentialy exert a little leverage and have your kids join you on a hike.

I'm planning on being in Upstate SC on Sunday afternoon and hope to hike to the top of Table Rock Mountain in Tabel Rock SP with my daughter. That serves several purposes. It helps me on my quest to lose weight, it helps me get in shape for my upcoming 60-miler on the Colorado trail (with my daughter), and it gets me out in the woods with my kid.

By the way, somehow I convinced my daughter to go to the Cumberland Trail Conference's Big Dig - with the promise that I'd fetch her last night if she didn't have a good time. I'm happy to say that she didn't want to come home - and will be out building trail again today. That makes this Father very proud. :banana

briarpatch
06-16-2005, 10:44
A friend from the GATC is hosting a campout with kayaking on a lake that he is calling "Bring Your Own Dad". I'll be there Sat and Sunday with both of my sons.

My youngest has really started enjoying the outdoors, I took him to Preaching rock just north of Woody Gap a couple of weeks ago, and he still hasn't stopped talking about the view and the number of hawks he counted floating by as we ate lunch. Some of the best conversations I've had with my now 18 year old were on the trail - being "in the same boat" after a few days of walking seem to break down some of the barriers that teenagers can develop.

Jaybird
06-16-2005, 11:29
i'll be with my two daughters on FATHER's DAY...not hiking...but, doing something hikers like to do when back in "civilization"..."PIGGING OUT"...on REAL FOOD!

My wife ("D-bird") always makes a huge meal on FATHER's DAY..., but since i'm in training (losing weight) for the TN SENIOR (OLYMPICS) GAMES coming in JULY (CYCLING events)...i'll have to weenie out & go with a BIG salad...with protein toppings.

Will probably take a leisurely stroll on the local (Springfield,TN) Greenway afterwards & then have a nice 20+ mile bike ride.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh FATHER's day...not just for putting up the feet anymore! :D

Footslogger
06-16-2005, 11:58
Well ...my kids are grown and gone (and living on the other side of the US), but I may just take a hike on Sunday in their honor.

'PappaSlogger

Mags
06-16-2005, 14:01
Dad's back in RI.

Will call him Sunday to wish him a "Happy Father's Day!" though.