PDA

View Full Version : Heet

lucky duck
02-27-2013, 21:42
How much does a full Heet (yellow) container weigh? How many fluid ounces are in the regular sized container? Do the containers leak if you just jam one of them into your backpack?

Related to the above, I seem to recall that fluid ounces aren't the same as dry weight ounces. Is that correct? My hazy recollection is that 10 fluid ounces weigh 8 dry weight ounces. Correct? This question assumes no container, of course.

Thanks for your input.

Rocket Jones
02-27-2013, 21:46
There are two kinds of yellow Heet containers. One type has a pop-off cap and isn't resealable. The other kind is screw top and harder to find. I don't know how much that kind might leak. I keep my fuel in a different bottle that I know doesn't leak, and still put it in a baggie - just in case.

Pingus
02-27-2013, 21:51
I've always had ggod luck with my HEET bottle regardelss of which top it has. As for the difference between fl. oz. and dry weight ounces... ummmmmm.... just gonna say it reallly will never make a difference in your life.... alcohol stoves are great and HEET works unfailingly.

Wise Old Owl
02-27-2013, 22:12
Heet put in other bottles can leak.. happened to me.

Leanthree
02-28-2013, 01:44
"Fluid ounces" is a measure of volume while "ounces" is a measure of weight. If one multiplies volume by density they get weight. The density of water is 1 which makes it easy. Methyl alcohol, ethanol, white gas, olive oil and most other liquids backpackers carry are a bit less dense than water. 0.8 is about right for methyl alcohol if I remember correctly. Wikipedia has all that stuff.

leaftye
02-28-2013, 03:58
"Fluid ounces" is a measure of volume while "ounces" is a measure of weight. If one multiplies volume by density they get weight. The density of water is 1 which makes it easy. Methyl alcohol, ethanol, white gas, olive oil and most other liquids backpackers carry are a bit less dense than water. 0.8 is about right for methyl alcohol if I remember correctly. Wikipedia has all that stuff.

The 1 to 1 density of water is 1 milliliter weighs 1 gram.

SCRUB HIKER
02-28-2013, 04:42
Googling "density of methanol" gives you 791.80 kg/m3. Then Googling "791.80 kg/m3 to oz/fl oz" gives you 0.826 oz/fl. oz.

For water, 1 liter weighs one kilogram, which is about 2.2 pounds, which is useful for knowing exactly how much weight you're adding on when you fill up 6 or 8 liters in the desert out West. And I just learned that 1 fluid oz of water weighs 1.04 oz, which I guess I could have deduced if I'd thought about it more before.

(On a side note, I highly doubt anyone who has access to Google's calculator is learning stoichiometry by hand in high school anymore.)

Odd Man Out
02-28-2013, 10:57
I always knew a mL of water was about a gram ("about" as density changes slightly with temperature). It never occurred to me that an oz of water is about an oz too. I guess I am too metric. You learn something every day on WB.

(On a side note, I highly doubt anyone who has access to Google's calculator is learning stoichiometry by hand in high school anymore.)

And soon they will grow up, and be posting here on WB that you can't take a hike without a cell phone that has a internet and GPS service.
Also, they will have no clue what the word "stoichiometry" means, but I guess they can Google it.

Drybones
02-28-2013, 11:16
Heet put in other bottles can leak.. happened to me.

I use Listern bottles because they lock on, have to squeeze the sides to open and they're flat and store well, caps are also good for measuring, the small bottles (8 oz I believe) have caps that hold 1/2 oz, the 16-oz bottle caps hold 1 oz.

diyguy
02-28-2013, 12:50
Per my scale, 1 fluid oz of HEET weighs about 27.5g or 0.97 oz

k2basecamp
02-28-2013, 13:37

Trust me they still are - I teach chemistry.

Odd Man Out
02-28-2013, 14:09
Trust me they still are - I teach chemistry.

Good for you. So do I.