PDA

View Full Version : Yet another Gear List!

Camel2012
02-27-2013, 23:47
I'm less than a week from leaving, and think I have my gear locked in for now. I believe this is everything I will have with me except for food and water. I don't really count the ounces, but I will hit it on the scale on the porch of the hiker hostel next week before heading out, and that will be the last time I weigh it with anything besides my shoulders.

I'm not necessarily looking for feedback. I'm pretty happy with what I have for now, but have no problem with constructive criticism and advice. This is mainly just for comparison.

Gear:-Osprey kestrel 58 w/ some lightening done
-HH ul hammock w/ JRB hex tarp
-EE tq 20 degree overstuffed
-JRB nest uq
-REI 3/4 length lightweight pad(for really cold nights and shelters when needed w/ pack under feet.)
-tyveck ground sheet
-4 alluminum stakes
-Whisperlite stove w/ 12 oz fuel bottle
-gsi soloist pot/cup w/ titanium fork and spoon
-leki khumba trekking poles
-Gerber pocket knife
-The AT Guide
-kindle touch w/ lightweight case
-Black Diamond headlamp
-Bic lighter
-Small first aid kit. Couple ounces
-50 ft spectra cord
-1 gatorade bottle
-MSR 3liter dromedary for camp or dry stretches
-Sawyer filter w/ 1 liter bag and small bag as scoop
-sleeping bag liner
-Journal/pen
-DriDucks rain suit
-Smart phone used as camera also w/ charger
Clothes
-Merrell Moab ventilators
-2 smart wool socks 1 light sock liner
-REI Sahara convertible pants
-1 pair UA boxer brief
-MH lightweight hiking shirt s/s
-Prana midweight l/s shirt
-UA lightweight baselayer bottoms
-Columbia fleece jacket
-UA ball cap
-Fleece beenie
-baclava
-MSR small pack towel
-generic lightweight shorts
-insulated gloves
-smartwool glove liner
-old light pair of flip flops for camp shoes

Looks like so much more when its in a list...

q-tip
02-28-2013, 08:47
How much does all this weigh???

Joker4ink
02-28-2013, 11:20
Gerber knife - Smaller, lighter options available? Can you take a smaller fuel bottle? Not sure if you'll need the balaclava. Take only sections of AT guide, mail forward the rest. Items I do not see: Food bag, toilet paper, toiletries, pack liner/cover, spare batteries.

Stir Fry
02-28-2013, 11:36
Looks like a solid list to start. You may get rid a a few things as the weeks go on. I guessing your in about the 25lb range w/ food /water.

Camel2012
02-28-2013, 12:21
Gerber knife - Smaller, lighter options available? Can you take a smaller fuel bottle? Not sure if you'll need the balaclava. Take only sections of AT guide, mail forward the rest. Items I do not see: Food bag, toilet paper, toiletries, pack liner/cover, spare batteries.

I like my knife. It's a folder and I'm fine with its weight, i don't like cutting with small knives.

The stove will be used by my son and myself. I'm happy with my fuel bottle.

I sleep in a hammock with a quilt, and i start next week. Thanks, but i will keep the balaclava until it warms up a little. It's super light too.

I'm not big on splitting up my book, and there is no way I'm doing mail drops or a bounce box. Less hassle the better.

I didn't list TP since its a must, and never the same amount. I figure it into my food weight. I do have bags for my gear and food, i just didn't list them, and my pack has a built in pack cover and i use a liner.

If i can't make it a couple days without a headlamp, i have problems. My son has a headlamp too if one goes dead we can share the other, and if i was by myself, i would just pick up more when i got to town.

Much of the clothing will be mailed off as it warms up. I should still be under 30lbs with food and water.

I'm happy with what I'm starting with. Thanks for the feedback.

Camel2012
02-28-2013, 12:27
Looks like a solid list to start. You may get rid a a few things as the weeks go on. I guessing your in about the 25lb range w/ food /water.

That's about what I'm thinking, and last year i left in April with less warm clothing, and weighed in at 30lbs w/ food and water. I'm not going UL, but i am slowly bringing my weight down. I wanted a few items swapped out, but had to outfit my son too, so just did what i could. Thanks

Camel2012
02-28-2013, 12:37
How much does all this weigh???
I don't know. I will weigh it one time as I'm leaving the hiker hostel, and then will just go with it and make the necessary adjustments on the trail. My shoulders tell me so much more than the scales do.

RED-DOG
02-28-2013, 16:25
The AT will teach you everthing you need to know, You will learn or you will go home.