PDA

View Full Version : Bear Canisters ?

RedRunnerJumper
02-28-2013, 01:15
So what do most thru hikers do from Lance Creek to Neels Gap about Bear Canisters? Do you just hike through and not stay overnight? I plan on doin that, hiking through, not sleeping in that 5miles gap...

Joker4ink
02-28-2013, 03:08
When I went and section hiked GA last March, we (me and the thru's I was hiking with) ended up crashing for the night at Lance. There were some hikers that chose to camp between there & Blood Mountain though. A few of their food bags were snatched. Ours were perfectly fine.

RedRunnerJumper
02-28-2013, 04:15
For 5 miles or so, i might as well truck it through there and then camp

bigcranky
02-28-2013, 08:30
Yeah, stay at Lance Creek. There are some decent tent pads and water.

Trying to make to Neels Gap from, say, Gooch Gap looks pretty reasonable on paper, it's only about 14 miles, but the second half of the day is the climb over Blood Mountain. Not a problem for an experienced long distance hiker, but a lot to ask for a beginner on day 3 of a thru hike. Pulling up short makes sense.

RedRunnerJumper
02-28-2013, 08:41
So if I stay at lance creek, do i need a bear can? Im starting march 10th... Or would i b fine? And after lance u need.em?

max patch
02-28-2013, 09:03
You need the cannister Jarrad to Neels. Lance is about a mile S of Jarrad.

bigcranky
02-28-2013, 09:49
As long as you don't camp between Jarrad and Neels, you don't need a bear can. That stretch includes two shelters, some campsites, and all of Blood Mountain. But it's only five miles. If you stay at Lance Creek, you're fine without a canister.

Pedaling Fool
02-28-2013, 09:56
So what do most thru hikers do from Lance Creek to Neels Gap about Bear Canisters? Do you just hike through and not stay overnight? I plan on doin that, hiking through, not sleeping in that 5miles gap...That seems to be what most hikers do. BTW, if you find yourself stuck in this 5-mile section of trail, just walk off the AT 1/4-mile and you can legally camp without a bear canister.

scope
02-28-2013, 11:32
...BTW, if you find yourself stuck in this 5-mile section of trail, just walk off the AT 1/4-mile and you can legally camp without a bear canister.

You can do this at Jarrard Gap by taking the trail that leads to Lake Winfield Scott, though not sure about flat campsites until you get to the lake. There's also the Slaughter Gap trail that is in between Blood Mt and Woods Hole shelter and I seem to remember seeing some sites on that trail. Of course, if you have a hammock, camping a little off the AT is no big deal just about anywhere.

Then, again, there's the whole bear and food thing to consider. Happy trails!

RedRunnerJumper
02-28-2013, 13:07
Oh wow. I should be good then! Thank you for the responses. Much appreciated! Ahh cant wait for the trail, so close...

Razor
02-28-2013, 18:51
Just remember that getting off the trail a little bit does nothing to distance yourself from the bear. Bears have not been taught to read yet ( although they are making great strides on Blood- (a smart bear). There is a reason for the can order --the bear is humanized and will make interaction if he has an excuse!

SawnieRobertson
03-01-2013, 12:41
Assuming that Razor has inspected lots of cannisters by now, I would like for him to tell me which one he would buy if opening it were his chief concern.

Razor
03-10-2013, 09:06
Most thru hikers stop at Lance Creek and then hike the 8 miles into Neel . The few locals who do carry cans can not find an easy one to open, I do not believe a technology exists easy for humans impossible for bears . I choice the Bear Vault 450 for its size and weight for our JMT hike . I guess it worked out ok.

Sandy of PA
03-10-2013, 09:16
Bearicade's open easily with the end of a spoon, coin, etc. 3 twistlocks on lid. Very expensive, lightest ones made to date. Mine is the weekender, 650ci.

SawnieRobertson
03-10-2013, 10:04
Having now opened my sparkling, brand new Bear Vault TWICE, I am going to be a bold-but-old hiker who drops to the ground wherever she pleases. Big price for big privilege. Thank you, Razor.

Razor
03-13-2013, 10:03
Bearicades are about the same hassle to open as the Bear Vault but are a lot heavier. On the other side they are cheaper. Dam if you do -dam if you don't . A bad choice to a solution in any direction.

Sandy of PA
03-13-2013, 18:54
I think you might be confusing Bearicades with Garcia canisters. A BV500 weighs 10 ozs MORE than a 650ci Bearicade. Mine is under 2lbs. made of carbon fiber and aircraft aluminum.

Razor
03-14-2013, 14:31
Thank you-- that is correct-- That cans sells for $250 range ? The Garcia is the one that weights so much. I really like the carbon fiber ones I saw on the JMT .Well made and light but alas -you pay for the ozs.

MuddyWaters
03-14-2013, 21:28
You are fine to camp between Jarrad and Neels without a bear cannister, you just cannot have any food, garbage, or toiletries (specified ) overnight while camping without storing them in a bear cannister.

Do without toiletries for the first couple days, plan and eat you last meal before the area, and get rid of your garbage at Jarrard gap, and there isnt any reason not to camp . You can eat breakfast the next morning when you get to MX.

Razor
03-18-2013, 19:08
Yes , that is possible but there is no trash facility at Jarrard. If someone could travel with only burnable trash and wasted the time to lite a fire then ,in theory this would work. It does seem dependent on a lot of variables all working together. For the average person ,I think stopping at Lance would be easier.