PDA

View Full Version : Mild Scoliosis & Packs: UL & frames? Anyone else besides ZPack & Elemental Horizons?

Crusinsusan
02-28-2013, 01:17
So, while it's a great time to get into backpacking with all the UL stuff out there now, I'm really hesitant to pull the trigger on a pack (or a pad, for that matter...but that's another post), and after reading here, I see that post about scoliosis are mostly years old (although I have been pointed to an UL air mattress by one query).

It seems to be universally agreed that a frame to keep the weight on the hips is essential, and I had been drawn to Elemental Horizons for their Kalais or Aquilo pack, but they only have some kind of soft "stay" in them. Thus, I'm hesitant on them.

But I'm also hesitent on the Zpack Artic Blast, because while it has a frame, it seems to be a very thin (thus, UL) external frame. Although the pics seem to put the weight where it belongs.

If there are no others to shop from, which of these two would you choose and why?

And if there are any brick-n-mortars out there that might carry such UL packs, do tell, because I can't find them.

Thanks for what you can give.

SCRUB HIKER
02-28-2013, 05:03
I've had the Kalais since last summer and I just got the aluminum stay a few weeks ago in advance of my upcoming PCT hike. I'd been using a Z-Lite pad for a frame before, but the difference between that and with the stay in is night and day. It was already a very comfortable pack without the stay, but with it, I see exactly what SGT Rock (http://hikinghq.net/gear/elemental-horizons-kalais.html) and this blogger (http://southwestultralight.blogspot.com/2012/03/first-impressions-elemental-horizons.html) are talking about when they say it's the most comfortable pack they've ever worn. I've only worn four packs in my 25 years (two Gregorys and a GoLite), but the Kalais dusts all of them for comfort. I'm not exaggerating when I say that I barely feel 25lb on my back when I take it on training hikes (and, to be clear, I am not in tip-top shape right now). It feels nothing like the GoLite Pinnacle, which was my previous frameless pack.

As long as the rest of your gear falls within the Kalais' recommended weight range, I would not be worrying about the removable stay being an inadequate frame. The hipbelt on the Kalais has four straps and is really nicely adjustable, so it's easy to fine-tune the pack balance. I know that what fits on me may not fit on you, and that there aren't a ton of reviews/testimonials out there for this pack, but I love it so far. I really don't plan on taking the stay out--it's as good as a permanent frame as far as I'm concerned.

Crusinsusan
02-28-2013, 13:45
I'm reading his review now, and I have been in touch with Matt, who was so VERY helpful and full of information (so hard to find these days). It does look great.... I was thinking of the Aquillo because someone else recommended it, but if the Kalais is cheaper, why not?

Thanks!

leaftye
02-28-2013, 14:41
ULA now makes their packs with hybrid cuben fiber. It's not listed on their website. It saves a few ounces. It might make them worth considering.

Nameless
02-28-2013, 14:55
I've had two back surgeries for scoliosis (1-12T fused) and I hike with a "frameless" pack, the Moonbow Gearskin. I find that with any framed pack I wear I have back issues. If you have scoliosis your back does not flex and rotate in normal ways, so a framed pack that is made for normal backs will hit your humps and bumps. After a few miles this is miserable, and hurts your back a lot.

I love my gearskin because when properly packed (way different than actually advertised on his website) it because one solid piece, and is its own frame. My weight transfers completely to my hips and I can pack for hundreds of miles with my body is still happy with me. I do pack lightweight, about 8-9 pounds before food and water. I've had my gearskin since my spring 2005 Maine section and I have always been happy with it. In the time I've tried a couple other light weight packs, either frameless or with minimal frames, and my back has not tolerated a single one.

This fall's North Slope of Alaska caribou hunting trip I hauled a sled attached to my gearskin fully loaded with gear and caribou across tundra. That is far more weight than any normal packing trip! The pack transfered the weight extremely well, and the construction held up to a very different type of use.

Crusinsusan
02-28-2013, 16:45
Thanks all,...but I just spoke with Matt at Elemental, and the Kalais is about to have a price increase, so I pulled the trigger on it.

Re: the gearskin.....kewl! But not right for me, because I don't see myself packing that up every morning. Neat though.

rocketsocks
02-28-2013, 16:53
Thanks all,...but I just spoke with Matt at Elemental, and the Kalais is about to have a price increase, so I pulled the trigger on it.

Re: the gearskin.....kewl! But not right for me, because I don't see myself packing that up every morning. Neat though.
I know you already pulled the pin...but Osprey also makes a lightweight light frame pack...just bought the Exos 58, pretty happy with thus far. 2lb 10oz and the frame transfers the load to the hips quite nicely.

Aquaman12
03-01-2013, 10:15
Gossamer Gear has some great UL packs. They sell a seperate inflatable frame for some of their frameless packs. I have the Kumo and I love it. I dont use the inflatable frame but it looks interesting. Worth checking out.

Joker4ink
03-02-2013, 18:51
I know you already pulled the pin...but Osprey also makes a lightweight light frame pack...just bought the Exos 58, pretty happy with thus far. 2lb 10oz and the frame transfers the load to the hips quite nicely.
Very much agree with this. I have an Osprey Exos 58 and it rides like a dream. I just bought a Gossamer Gear in my quest to go lighter, happy with that so far.

Gossamer Gear has some great UL packs. They sell a seperate inflatable frame for some of their frameless packs. I have the Kumo and I love it. I don't use the inflatable frame but it looks interesting. Worth checking out.
I recently bought a Gossamer Gear Gorilla and I really like it: Made in USA, minimal "extras" that I would use anyway, light weight, streamlined, well thought out, rides nicely. Using it on a 10 day starting next week.

MuddyWaters
03-02-2013, 20:59
You can bend the stays of UL packs to fit your back best, and you should.
I would think the scoliosis wouldnt be much of an issue.

k2basecamp
03-03-2013, 22:33
Newer is not better. Try an alpenlite external frame " let your hips shoulder the load."
you wont go back to an internal.