PDA

View Full Version : Another great reason to get yourself away from all the techo gadgets and be outside..

Different Socks
02-28-2013, 01:46
Something I noticed tonight and today that I am sure has happened many times before, yet I never saw it: A near full moon was on the western horizon this morning at 7am. Then this evening that same near full moon was seen on the eastern horizon about 9pm. My first thoughts were that it had crossed the sky during the day from west to east and was now setting. But later when I went out, the moon had risen further into the sky. I couldn't grasp it right away what had occurred. Then it hit me--the sun was setting this morning, had shown all night to the other side of the world and then completed its journey, now rising in the eastern sky of Montana. I can't ever recall seeing the moon twice in one day. That is so COOL!!!

garlic08
02-28-2013, 09:17
You need a big sky in order to see that. Too many mountains around here too see the horizon, but I did notice both the moon set and moon rise yesterday, and I'm looking at the gibbous moon right now.

tiptoe
02-28-2013, 12:07
I have seen the full moon set many times when I take early-morning walks with my husky. You don't really need a big sky, you just need an unobstructed view to the west.

Different Socks
02-28-2013, 13:54
I would like to be clear on this: I am aware that the moon sets in the west. But normally when I notice the moon on the western horizon, I'd thought I'd be seeing it the rest of the day in the blue skies and then it sets. But I must have had it all backwards. WHY? Because I was like alot of many other people, acknowledging that something is happening but not really experiencing it.
So yesterday evening when I saw the moon again on the eastern horizon AFTER I saw it that same morning on the western horizon, it was incredibly amazing to me what had occured. It's like when people say, "Oh look at the sunset", or "hey, check it out, the sun is going down fast". Yet how many actually stop to experience the sun setting instead of just talking about it?
Well that's what I did! I experienced it!! And it's definately an one that goes in my journal.

Marta
02-28-2013, 14:26
How neat! Funny you should have this happen just now. The other night, when the moon was full, I was thinking about how the sky here has been so incredibly cloudy that I couldn't even pick out where in the sky the moon might be. Of course it was snowing heavily at the time. :-)

keepinitsimple
02-28-2013, 16:31
I had a class in grad school where we had to keep a moon journal for 3 months- with multiple moon observations a week.. I learned more following and observing the moon inthose 3 months than in the 30 years prior. The moon is full of thought provoking facts and lore too. How about the fact that you see the same face of the moon every time you look because its turning perfectly with us? I saw a purple full moon rise once over the Atlantic while camping in Assateague- never forget it, never. The moon has always been there for me, no matter what. No matter what problems I bring it.

rocketsocks
02-28-2013, 16:48
I always enjoy looking at the moon and other heavenly things....It's cool to think that no matter where you are, when you look at the moon, others are seeing the same thing.....here's a tune I think has some great lyrics..."Standing on the moon"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0wCPXpRoWQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0wCPXpRoWQ