PDA

View Full Version : Trekking poles are hard to adjust - how to fix?

Owf
02-28-2013, 12:16
(You've been informed/warned: This probably is going to seem like a neophyte question to some of you)

I have a pair of Leki Cressida poles that I've been using for about two to three years now. They're great poles, no complaints, other than them getting rather tough to adjust. I believe it is from the shafts being dirty or dusty and those particles clogging up the insides. But then again, even after I wipe them down, it gets a little easier, but not much.

Would it be okay to lube up trekking poles with oil or something to keep them adjusting smoothly? Or will that just create a mess of its own? :-?

Any other tricks to it?

I have to adjust my poles a lot because I use a trekking pole tent, also, I tend to adjust my poles frequently while hiking depending on the terrain and whether I'm going uphill or downhill. It's getting annoying to have to fight with them every time.

Thanks, guys! :)

Owf
02-28-2013, 12:17
Also note that it's not hard to adjust due to overtight speedlocks, which I thought could have been the case, but I loosened them and it was still hard to adjust.

DeerPath
02-28-2013, 12:54
Pull the shafts apart, wash down inside and out with soapy water, let dry and re assemble. I would not lubricate the shafts because dust, grim, etc. will stick to the lubrication.

Happy Trails

Owf
02-28-2013, 14:48
Yeah, that's what I figured. I washed them and I'm letting them dry right now.. but usually even after this process, they're really hard to adjust. I remember a time where they slid nice and easy...but maybe they're just so worn out that it's always going to be a struggle.

Chuckie V
02-28-2013, 14:57
This doesn't help you now alas, but the 'spin-to-lock' hiking poles are prone to this and other problems, given enough hiking mileage. I've since gone to the poles with an external locking mechanism, to avoid these hassles.

But definitely don't use lubricants. Just do as DeerPath mentions.

The top photo shows the cheapness and fragility of most internal locking mechanisms; the bottom photo shows what the market will eventually endorse, with enough buyer complaints and voting dollars!

leaftye
02-28-2013, 14:57
If you lube anything, the adjustment screw inside the rubber/plastic cylinder might be worth it. Graphite for lube would probably be best. Rub the threads with pencil lead.

Loneoak
02-28-2013, 15:17
If they have a carbon build up on them, you mite lightly sand them with fine sandpaper

RCBear
02-28-2013, 15:26
If they have a carbon build up on them, you mite lightly sand them with fine sandpaper

that's what i needed to do and they are good to go now.

Sly
02-28-2013, 15:56
At Trail Days the Leki reps use the proper size gun barrel cleaning brush attached to a drill to clean the shafts. If you plan on going to TD bring your poles with you and they'll overhaul them for free. I've had every shaft replaced at least once along with the tips and grips.

MuddyWaters
02-28-2013, 19:57
The problem likely isnt the type of locking mechanism.
Its dirt and/or corrosion of the aluminum surface inside the upper tube
When the al gets a bit corroded, wash it out all you want, it wont slide easy
Occurs from being wet , dirty, etc. Soil can make water acidic or basic, and attack the aluminum slightly.

I agree , a gun cleaning brush is about the best thing I can think of to brush that clean up in there.
Can even chuck it in a drill and on low rpm move it in and out
should work like new.

Another cause, would be if they are bent. A straight pole, and a curved one, dont slide together very well, the clearance too small.

Loneoak
03-01-2013, 00:26
that's what i needed to do and they are good to go now.

Glad it worked out for you