PDA

View Full Version : Gear shakedown trip in SNP

Coffee
02-28-2013, 12:46
I have most of the gear needed for my JMT thru hike and I'm planning a quick shakedown hike in SNP sometime in early to mid March. I've hiked several trails as day hikes but never camped overnight in the SNP backcountry before.

I'm thinking that the Rose River Loop would make the most sense in terms of a very short hike with decent camping spots but ideally I'd like a little more of a workout than that. Jeremy's run could work but I've never hiked there before and descriptions of hard stream crossings aren't something I want to deal with on an initial hike. One other idea might be to hike up Old Rag on the saddle trail for a workout, then camp somewhere near the saddle trail and fire road junction where I've seen lots of flat areas. (Hiking up the old rag ridge trail with a pack seems unwise .. I'll be loading up the pack with weight to approximate my starting JMT load)

Any suggestions would be great.

johnnybgood
02-28-2013, 14:35
A great overnighter is the Neighbor Mountain/Jeremys Run hike where water will be of plenty and so will scenic stream campsites. Crossing Jeremys Run can be a challenge but that's the tradeoff for this outstanding 14.6 mile hike.
Trailhead is Neighbor Mtn parking ,mile 26.

Hazel Mountain Trail is an aggressive overnighter , appx.18 miles, with less stream crossings . The "Hazel backcountry" has other trails that intersect that can shorten your hike if needed. Pick up a detailed map of this section.
This hike has waterfalls that should be flowing nicely after a wet winter. Trailhead is at the Spring Meadow parking at mile 33.

Studlintsean
02-28-2013, 15:27
I have most of the gear needed for my JMT thru hike and I'm planning a quick shakedown hike in SNP sometime in early to mid March. I've hiked several trails as day hikes but never camped overnight in the SNP backcountry before.

I'm thinking that the Rose River Loop would make the most sense in terms of a very short hike with decent camping spots but ideally I'd like a little more of a workout than that. Jeremy's run could work but I've never hiked there before and descriptions of hard stream crossings aren't something I want to deal with on an initial hike. One other idea might be to hike up Old Rag on the saddle trail for a workout, then camp somewhere near the saddle trail and fire road junction where I've seen lots of flat areas. (Hiking up the old rag ridge trail with a pack seems unwise .. I'll be loading up the pack with weight to approximate my starting JMT load)

Any suggestions would be great.

Someone else probably has updated information but as an FYI I went to hike Mary's Rock two weeks ago and Skyline Drive entrance at Thronton Gap was closed. With the warmer weather we have had recently im sure it is all clear to go but you may want to confirm so you dont get there and find out the hard way. We opted to hike the Buck Hollow trail which I hadnt done and was a nice hike.

Coffee
02-28-2013, 15:27
A great overnighter is the Neighbor Mountain/Jeremys Run hike where water will be of plenty and so will scenic stream campsites. Crossing Jeremys Run can be a challenge but that's the tradeoff for this outstanding 14.6 mile hike.
Trailhead is Neighbor Mtn parking ,mile 26.

Hazel Mountain Trail is an aggressive overnighter , appx.18 miles, with less stream crossings . The "Hazel backcountry" has other trails that intersect that can shorten your hike if needed. Pick up a detailed map of this section.
This hike has waterfalls that should be flowing nicely after a wet winter. Trailhead is at the Spring Meadow parking at mile 33.

Thanks. I'll look into Hazel Mountain. I've actually wanted to do the Jeremys Run hike for a long time but the stream crossings sound serious and this is the first hike I'll be doing with a pack weighed down with approximate weight of what I will carry at the start of my JMT hike (around 26 pounds). I'm not sure I want to add knee or waist deep river crossings to this shakedown trip!

Furlough
03-03-2013, 10:01

The Moormans River - AT loop is also a good option.

Coffee
03-03-2013, 10:58
The Moormans River - AT loop is also a good option.
Looks interesting, thanks. I believe that Moormans was the old alignment of the AT decades ago.

Furlough
03-03-2013, 12:24
Looks interesting, thanks. I believe that Moormans was the old alignment of the AT decades ago.

That is right. Hurricane whose name I can't recall helped to do the relo. You can still find an old metal AT diamond back there.

johnnybgood
03-03-2013, 13:07
That is right. Hurricane whose name I can't recall helped to do the relo. You can still find an old metal AT diamond back there.

Hurricane Fran wrecked havoc in the park in '96 with hurricane force winds that toppled many trees . Not sure what year the Moormans River reroute was.

Furlough
03-03-2013, 14:25
Another good trip, also in the South part of SNP, is the Furnace mtn - Trayfoot mtn loop. A little over 20 miles. Terrain is widely varing and includes a trail through a mini scree field on Austin Mtn Trail. Uses parts of 7 seperate trails but is easy to follow. AT, Big Run Loop Trl, Rocky Top Trl, Austin Mtn Trl, Furnace Mtn Trl, Trayfoot Mtn Trl, Paine Run Trl.

juma
03-04-2013, 13:02
water is low out there right now so crossing any creek is easy.

I've hike most of the snp trails at one time or another. I wouldn't mind going out anytime if you want company. Gonna snow this tuesday, could be real fun and great pics.