PDA

View Full Version : Hightower Gap / FS 42

evan_rolltide
02-28-2013, 13:00
I am beginning my Thru Hike this saturday and some friends of mine are planning on starting with me at Amicalola and Shuttling out at FS 42 at Hightower Gap. What kind of shape is this road in? Will it be suitable for this? Can we safely leave a parked car there?

Thanks,

Evan

RED-DOG
02-28-2013, 16:42
You will need a 4x4 for that road last time i went up it, it was in very poor shape, yes you can park their but it will cost 2$ per day how safe it is i don't know.

max patch
02-28-2013, 16:51
You will need a 4x4 for that road last time i went up it, it was in very poor shape, yes you can park their but it will cost 2$ per day how safe it is i don't know.

When was that? The $2 parking fee has been gone for years.

I wasn't going to answer since I haven't been on the road this year yet, but 99% of the time its in excellent shape and a regular car can travel it. I wouldn't worry about leaving a car at Hightower (or Springer) for a weekend, either. For a current report contact the Hiker Hostel or Survivor Dave.

evan_rolltide
02-28-2013, 17:00
Excellent, thank you!

generoll
02-28-2013, 17:55
FS 42 is in better shape then most unpaved driveways.

evan_rolltide
03-01-2013, 04:15
I'm going to call tomorrow but how easy is it to find a shuttle from Hightower gap back to Amicalola?

Ox97GaMe
03-01-2013, 19:07
FS 42 is in decent shape except the section between 3 forks and Horse Gap. I havent been on it in 3 years, but used to be a GATC maintainer in that area for several years.

While it is safe to say that the road is in great shape up to the AT parking lot .9 from Springer, and from Cooper Gap all the way to Suches (past Gooch Gap), there were areas in that middle section that had large rocks and deep mud holes. It used to require 4WD and high clearance in that area. Back when I was a GATC Maintainer, I tried to take my 4x4 GMC Yukon across that section and had several places where I wasnt sure if I was going to get through or be walking a LONG way for assistance. May not still be the case. Definitely discuss with someone local and let them know that you are talking about Hightower Gap/ Horse Gap area and not the AT trailhead parking for Springer. I found that an easier (though longer) drive is to come into hightower by way of The Fish Hathery from the north.

happy hiking

Ox97GaMe
03-01-2013, 19:11
I'm going to call tomorrow but how easy is it to find a shuttle from Hightower gap back to Amicalola?

There will be VERY little traffic from that road crossing. If you are willing to hike back to 3 Forks from Hawk Mtn (4 miles?), it could be a relatively easy hitch, especially if you are there on a weekend. im not sure how many of the shuttle folks even know how to GET to Hightower Gap other than via FS 42.

generoll
03-01-2013, 19:39
I did a drop off at Cooper Gap yesterday, and yes I came in via FS 42. When going to Springer or Hightower I usually come in via FS 58. Hitching is not really a good option anywhere along FS 42 in my opinion. You may or may not run across a shuttler or taxi on 42, but it's just a matter of chance. Best to have your plans made in advance.