PDA

View Full Version : DOwn Jacket with Hood

tucker0104
02-28-2013, 13:18
I am in the market for a down jacket with a hood. Just wondering what everyone out there recommend?

tucker0104
02-28-2013, 13:24
I am leaning towards the Montbell Alpine Light Down Parka.

http://www.backcountry.com/montbell-alpine-light-down-parka-mens#review

Coffee
02-28-2013, 13:27
I am in the market for a down jacket with a hood. Just wondering what everyone out there recommend?

I purchased the Montbell UL Down Parka earlier this month. 9.6 ounces with stuff sack. I wore it on a couple of occasions for walks around the neighborhood at around 30-35 degrees and felt very warm (with just a t shirt under it). I guess which one to buy depends on the conditions you expect to encounter and how it will be used. I purchased mine for the John Muir Trail in late August-mid September for use at stops and in camp (not while hiking). I expect it to be fine for those conditions.

evan_rolltide
02-28-2013, 13:29
Check out the Go Lite Clearance closet. I just got a BEartooth jacket (no hood) for a pretty significant discount. If you can wear an XL they have a good price on the bitterroot

tucker0104
02-28-2013, 13:33
I am mainly buying mine for in camp and would like a hood. Thanks for the suggestion though.

evan_rolltide
02-28-2013, 13:37
The bitterroot has a hood.

bfayer
02-28-2013, 13:46
This question is like asking about a car with a radio.

You are going to get answers all over the place unless we know: what your planned use is, what your price range is, and if weight or warmth is your primary concern.

The MB Alpine light is a great jacket for use around camp in early spring and late fall. It is not a full on winter parka and is too heavy and too warm to carry in the warmer months. I love mine for what it is.

tucker0104
02-28-2013, 13:50
I can layer it for winter in the east. Price isn't really an issue. Warmer months I have other coats I can bring.

bigcranky
02-28-2013, 13:57
The Alpine Light Parka is very nice for the price. I have a Western Mountaineering Hooded Flash jacket which is pricey but terrific, and paired with a Montbell UL Down Inner vest works pretty well in NC/VA in the winter -- though in serious cold I have an big old down jacket from Sierra Deigns that weighs a ton and is warm into the single digits.

For a single winter jacket I'd want to look at the WM Meltdown. 6.5 ounces of 850 fill down. That's a lot of warmth.

Rasty
02-28-2013, 13:57
This question is like asking about a car with a radio.

You are going to get answers all over the place unless we know: what your planned use is, what your price range is, and if weight or warmth is your primary concern.

The MB Alpine light is a great jacket for use around camp in early spring and late fall. It is not a full on winter parka and is too heavy and too warm to carry in the warmer months. I love mine for what it is.

Makes a good Southern winter jacket down to around zero.

saltysack
02-28-2013, 14:21
Also love my montbell ul down parka...great alone to about 40 deg... Very light and packable

bfayer
02-28-2013, 14:34
I can layer it for winter in the east. Price isn't really an issue. Warmer months I have other coats I can bring.

Well then you can't really go wrong with the MB.

Although if money is not an issue, I would look at their new Mirage parka. It is lighter, uses box construction, and actually has more down. 5.3 oz of 900 fill compared to 4.3 of 800 fill. Total weight of 12.8 oz compared to 14.7 for the Alpine light parka.

LAS
02-28-2013, 14:40
I have a Patagonia Nano Puff Hoody. It is probably my favorite jacket. It's synthetic, but thats the best thing ever when you get it wet. It weighs 14 oz. O2gearshop.com usually has Patagonia stuff cheap.

fredmugs
02-28-2013, 15:09
I am leaning towards the Montbell Alpine Light Down Parka.

http://www.backcountry.com/montbell-alpine-light-down-parka-mens#review

I own this. Love it. Would buy it again.

hikerboy57
02-28-2013, 15:14
I own this. Love it. Would buy it again.

me too......

Tundra
02-28-2013, 16:02
I'm getting the Mountain Harwear hooded Ghost Whisperer. It's 7 ounces and the lightest I could find with a hood. It gets good reviews and seems perfect fort needs.

Tundra
02-28-2013, 16:02
*for my needs

SCRUB HIKER
02-28-2013, 16:45
I would _not+ suggest the GoLite Bitterroot if you're using it for layering. I don't know if you can tell from their pictures, but it's pretty big and lofty and does very well on its own, but I can barely fit an outer shell layer over it, and I have the medium. It's an absolute beast at keeping me warm and feels like I'm wearing a cloud, but I wouldn't call it a versatile piece in a layering system.

grayfox
03-01-2013, 13:03
I got a hooded down jacket at Sears on clearance for $30. I is soft, lightweight and packable. Similar to any high dollar name brand but probably not as durable in the long run. It is an Under Armour brand jacket. There are lots of good clearance deals this time of year if you have time to look for them or 'happen upon them' as I did.

grayfox
03-01-2013, 13:05
Ha ha--"It is", I should have said--Well I am too but not so much as the jacket.

The Gambler
03-01-2013, 13:26
patagonia down hoodie for me

Mags
03-01-2013, 13:37
I would _not+ suggest the GoLite Bitterroot if you're using it for layering. I don't know if you can tell from their pictures, but it's pretty big and lofty and does very well on its own, but I can barely fit an outer shell layer over it, and I have the medium. It's an absolute beast at keeping me warm and feels like I'm wearing a cloud, but I wouldn't call it a versatile piece in a layering system.

A Bitterroot or similar is not something you generally put a shell over. It is more of a COAT rather than a jacket. It is a big, bomber (though surprisingly light) layer for cold and dry conditions esp when stopped or in camp. In other words, a piece of gear for winter activities vs three-season or even shoulder season backpacking.

As a general rule of thumb, you don't want to actually hike in a down jacket (never mind a coat). Your perspiration will get into the down causing it to lose its loft until it dries out.

Old school fleece actually works better with a a shell for cold and wet conditions IMO. The DriClime windshirt or similar is a popular layer for similar reasons.

You can wear a synthetic puffy like the Nano easier with a shell than a big,bomber jacket like the Bitteroot. Though, again, a Bitteroot coat ain't really meant for those kind of conditions. :) If you want a down piece to layer with a shell, a Patagonia or similar "down sweater" is probably better.

I keep the puffies for rest stops and camp (synthetic or down) but rarely using when actually hiking.

Mind you, Mrs Mags will occasionally hike in a puffy. But she also moves slower and puts out less heat than myself. YMMV.

Tipi Walter
03-01-2013, 14:17
The Alpine Light Parka is very nice for the price. I have a Western Mountaineering Hooded Flash jacket which is pricey but terrific, and paired with a Montbell UL Down Inner vest works pretty well in NC/VA in the winter -- though in serious cold I have an big old down jacket from Sierra Deigns that weighs a ton and is warm into the single digits.

For a single winter jacket I'd want to look at the WM Meltdown. 6.5 ounces of 850 fill down. That's a lot of warmth.

I love my WM Meltdown jacket but I do not believe the hood is down filled. A down hood makes all the difference. A fabric hood is almost next to useless for serious wind and cold, hence the need for a winter parka like the Feathered Friends Icefall parka which has a snap on down hood. This hood has saved my butt on many windswept butt-cold balds.

Or you could get the Meltdown and use a goose down 800-900 fill beanie like this---

http://www.blackrockgear.com/magiczoom/img/red_200.JPG
From

http://www.blackrockgear.com/buy.html

HikerMom58
03-01-2013, 14:22
I am mainly buying mine for in camp and would like a hood. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Mountain Hard Wear down jacket with a hood is what I have... just for in camp. :) It's perfect!

bfayer
03-01-2013, 14:37
Mountain Hard Wear down jacket with a hood is what I have... just for in camp. :) It's perfect!

So it costs less than a dollar and weighs less than an ounce? Sorry HMKD, I could not help myself. Perfect is such a finite word :)

HikerMom58
03-01-2013, 15:21
Oh NO... You "got" me bfayer..... I should never go there. :p What was I thinking? :-? I didn't even weigh it!!

bfayer
03-01-2013, 15:28
Oh NO... You "got" me bfayer..... I should never go there. :p What was I thinking? :-? I didn't even weigh it!!

No worries HMKD, I have perfect gear too.

HikerMom58
03-01-2013, 15:36
No worries HMKD, I have perfect gear too.

I don't doubt that, for 1 minute! Have a great weekend! :) I hope the OP finds the PERFECT jacket! ;)

MuddyWaters
03-01-2013, 21:24
Cant go wrong with any of the montbell jackets.
I have a fleece hoody, I had to ask myself how many hoods I needed.
One on the fleece hoody, one on the rain jacket, I figured I didnt need on one my montbell down jacket too.
Havent missed it. A light fleece beanie under the hoody is all I need to sleep down into high 20s with a quilt.

Lots of different ways to skin a cat. Some more flexible than others.