PDA

View Full Version : PackaFeather

levibarry
02-28-2013, 14:42
Has anyone used the Packafeather alcohol stove? I find the control of the burner
nice being away from the stove. I sometimes have 2 left hands around things. I can't
find anything in the forums about them.
Thanks for any input about them.

Levibarry

Tundra
02-28-2013, 16:08
I used one for a few months in New Zealand last winter. I loved it. No complaints and I loved their fuel bottle lid with a small tube to suck up unused fuel. I found the stove to be efficient and I really like the simmer option and it's clever design. I'd reccomend it.

treesloth
02-28-2013, 17:18
+1. It's a neat little contraption (I have the XL model). On low mode, I got a 45 minute burn from less than an ounce of alcohol. Going to try some baking with it.

mountainman
02-28-2013, 21:55
I use this stove. I thought I would use the control more but I don't. It boils 15 oz water in 6 min. I don't have a reason to cook longer, but If it is still burning past the start of boiling I just slide the lid of. I wouldn't spent the extra money for the air adjustment.

levibarry
02-28-2013, 22:27
Thanks so far. I will wait and see if more people respond.
But so far looking like I will pull the trigger on one.

levibarry

Old Hillwalker
03-01-2013, 07:57
I have my Featherfire XL for sale. $25.00 shipped. I used it quite a bit, but since most of my trips are noncooking nowadays I no longer need it. The first time I used it I left the plastic shipping cover on the fuel can botton and melted it. It was only a pet food can cover which can be bought at a peet store for as low as a dollar.

You do need a good wind screen and I found that the one they sell is pretty good. My old one was trashed. http://packafeather.com/xlstove.html

I think that the current price, shipped is around forty dollars.

handlebar
03-01-2013, 11:59
I've used mine on the PCT and CDT so it's got overy 5000 miles on it now. I find the damper control really does work (provided the winds are calm) and the stove successfully simmers.

Black Wolf
03-01-2013, 13:49
Great stove .. I get 24 mins. on .5oz alky .. doesn't boil water at that setting (200*F / 2c. H20) .. perfect for real rice / dehydrated bean meals ..

Country Roads
03-11-2013, 19:54
Have had mine since 2008. Very nice stove. Simple, efficient, versatile. It also uses Esbit (turn the alcohol reservoir upside down and place the esbit on that, It puts the fuel just the right height to your pot). I routinely get a boil on 2 cups of water (about 60 degree) in about 8 minutes, then close the simmer ring and have had the esbit burn to over 20 minutes. So, it makes a nice dual fuel stove. Alcohol time with same amount of 60 degree water is 6 1/2 minutes on 1/2 oz alcohol. Close simmer ring and the stove continues to 11 minutes.
I also use a cone-shaped windscreen with it. This is my go to long-distance hiking stove. My mess kit total weight is under 10 ounces.

levibarry
03-12-2013, 00:24
Thanks everyone for the great comments. I will
be getting one. Also great to know about esbits tabs.
Thx everyone

"Go tell it on the mountains"