PDA

View Full Version : Beat Middle/East TN backpacking loops/ trips??

MrMiner2
02-28-2013, 15:34
Looking for some good backpacking trips within two hours of Knoxville.

Mileage and number of nights is very open. Probably 3-5 days. Something not super killer, but a nice hike that's not easy.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Ewker
02-28-2013, 16:13
Big South Fork would be the closest if you haven't been there before. Virgin Falls area but it may be hard to get 3-5 days, also the Savage Gulf area

illabelle
02-28-2013, 20:52
There's plenty of stuff within two hours! Big South Fork (which I avoid during tick season) and the Smokies are both in our backyard. If you're not looking to do AT miles (that's my assumption), just get a trail map for both parks and see what looks interesting. You could try out the Old Settler's trail in the Cosby area. Maybe you could figure out a loop that would include a visit to Injun Creek campsite. On the way to it, there's an old steam engine from a logging tractor upside down in a creek. That's how the campsite got its name, but somebody spelled "engine" the wrong way.
In the Smokies, you can only camp at established campsites or shelters. In BSF you can camp pretty much where you want to. Hope this helps.

Tipi Walter
02-28-2013, 21:32
I'd drive to Monroe County and Tellico Plains and drive up Tellico River and park at the entrance to the Bald River wilderness and backpack the 6 miles in the "gorge". Then I'd exit and do a short roadwalk to Brookshire Creek and do the Brookshire/State Line/Kirkland Creek loop back into Bald River. Bald River is easy with no crossings so you can spend your first night in ease. There is an Upper Bald Creek crossing on the Brookshire and many on the Kirkland. You'd also be on the BMT for half of the trip.

Two hours from Knoxville opens up thousands of places---the AT, Citico, Slickrock, BMT south from the Smokies, the Big Frog, Cohuttas, etc.

Tennessee Viking
02-28-2013, 21:42
Its hard to find a loop trail in Northeast Tennessee. There is the Iron Mtn Trail and AT loop. But the Iron Mtn trail to Damascus is very remote and lacks water sources.

You can try the AT/ Laurel Fork Trail loop. Start from 19E and Mountain Harbour Hostel hike the AT to Dennis Cove, then walk back on the Laurel Fork. Jump off of the Laurel Fork at Bitter End. Laurel Fork requires some fords and the trail blazing through the old fields is a little confusing.

Unaka Mountain has some loops possibilities.

You probably won't find any really good loop trails until the Smokies and Slickrock/Citco area down to the Frogs.

Violent Green
02-28-2013, 21:52
Miner-

The Big South Fork or the Citico/Joyce Kilmer complex would be my first choice. Less people than the Smokies, but the scenery is nearly as good. You could easily spend 3-5 days in either area. When are you going?

Ryan

MrMiner2
03-01-2013, 02:29
Hey!

I go to UTK and am planning on going during our spring break which is the 22-29.

Any suggestions on trips?

MrMiner2
03-01-2013, 02:36
Miner-

The Big South Fork or the Citico/Joyce Kilmer complex would be my first choice. Less people than the Smokies, but the scenery is nearly as good. You could easily spend 3-5 days in either area. When are you going?

Ryan

Hey!

I go to UTK and am planning on going during our spring break which is the 22-29.

MrMiner2
03-01-2013, 02:46
Hey!

rocketsocks
03-01-2013, 02:59
Saw this site posted today, pretty cool.

http://www.localhikesbeta.com/Metros/Knoxville-TN

Tennessee Viking
03-01-2013, 09:12
Chattanooga Cooper State Forest & Cumberland Trail.
Fiery Gizzard.
The Frogs

fertilizer
03-01-2013, 12:45
Also consider Frozen Head State Park. Its got 88 miles of trails, a bunch of campsites, and ample water supplies. It's only about 20-30 minutes outside of Oak Ridge.

Tharwood
03-01-2013, 12:57
Website named " Appalachian Treks " I thinK"... It had tons of trails for day hiking.

Violent Green
03-01-2013, 15:58
Hey!

Miner,

I've got two recommendations for you. They both assume that you must do a loop hike and that you can hike 12-15mi per day. If either of these assumptions is incorrect, let me know.

Recommendation#1 - Citico/Slickrock - ~56miles...This trip starts and ends at the Slickrock Creek Trail head across the Dragon(hwy 129) by Cheoah Dam. It hits Naked Ground, the Hangover, North/South Fork of the Citico which is one of my favorite areas, Joyce Kilmer forest, and Bob Stratton Bald. There are also a couple nice waterfalls on this trip. This is a tough hike, but not extremely difficult if you're in shape and have some hiking experience. If you don't hike much, this wouldn't be my choice for you.

Recommendation #2 - ~53miles...This trip starts and ends in the Greenbriar section of the Smokies(out Hwy 321 from Gatlinburg). Specifically, it starts at the Old Settlers Trail head and ends one mile up the road at the Porters Creek Trail head. You will will pass Albright Grove which has some of the largest trees in the GSMNP, up to the AT, past Charlie's Bunion, over the Boulevard Trail to Mt. Leconte, down the Brushy Mtn Trail to Porters Creek. A lot of great views on this loop. Also difficult as it has one long climb up to the AT, but not a killer.

Let me know any questions.

Ryan

Violent Green
03-01-2013, 15:59
P.S. - Each trip would take four days at a 12-15mi pace.

Ryan