PDA

View Full Version : How many stove canisters for a thru?

capehiker
02-28-2013, 19:13
I've been searching for everything related to canister stoves and the only thing I couldn't find was approximately how many canisters a thru hiker would use for the hike. I understand there are variables such as number of hot meals a day and finding half empty canisters in hostels and boxes. Looking at fuel amounts and average times I'm guessing between 9 - 13 canisters used for a thru hike. I also read that between Harpers Ferry and Delaware Water Gap is pretty sparse in re-supply (unless mailed). Are there any other stretches that I should think about carrying an extra canister? I'm not too concerned with a re-supply in PA as I happen to originally be from the Pine Grove Furnace area and am planning a gear check/ re-supply during a few days off the trail. Thanks.

Venchka
02-28-2013, 20:11
Seems like you have ample time to run a real world test. Boil some water daily according to your planned usage. Keep track of the number of boils per cylinder and the cylinder capacity. Divide the estimated days on trail by the days per cylinder. Presto! You have a fairly good estimate. You might also hide a 100g cylinder in your pack just in case you run out unexpectedly.
Good luck!

Wayne

capehiker
02-28-2013, 20:53
Thanks, Venchka. I definitely plan on doing some home/ field tests and being liberal with boiling water longer, etc. As I haven't done any terribly long section hikes, there's the Murphy's Law feeling in the back of my head telling me I'm missing something.

RF_ace
02-28-2013, 21:04
Or just carry the 230g and get roughly 40 uses with a jet boil sol ti

Blue Mountain Edward
02-28-2013, 22:37
There is a Cabelas and Walmart north of Port Clinton, think there is a blue blaze side trail in that area. Cabelas got a free shuttle that will pick up at the pavilian. If you need food near Harpers Ferry go to Brunswick Maryland to the mall theres a laundromat, Mcdonalds, Food Lion, and a hiker shop.

DeerPath
03-01-2013, 10:52
Take a Titanium Windscreen to use as a wood stove backup, in case you run out of canister fuel. See Zelph's video "Titanium Windscreen is for wood/alcohol stove"

Black Wolf
03-01-2013, 14:03
or carry a alky as a back up .. or learn to make one .. a cat stove as a back up is super simple to make / light to carry ( you bum an oz. or two on the trail) .. you can always cook on fire and a few well placed stones / branches .. one "trick" I use with a canister ..is only boil/heat 1 cup at a time .. I can use 4-5 grams of fuel per cup this way .. 2 cups use at least 15 grams of fuel .. stay diligent when cooking ( attentive, as in, not walking away and your water is sitting there boiling for 3 mins. ) , use low flame settings , don't always boil ..

Trance
03-01-2013, 14:09
I have a MSR Reactor.... while it is alittle heavier than most... it lights up quick, is windproof, and I can get about 25 water boils ( approx 1 liter water each time ), per $5 canister. The canister stores inside the system and it comes with a pot that has a handle which is nice. Plus it looks awesome when it turns on. About $130-$140 bucks. Great for cold weather and windy conditions.

Like I said, it's alittle heavier than most... but you cant go tiny on everything. Very versitile.

capehiker
03-01-2013, 14:46
Thanks for the replies, all. Mostly I was looking for how many used. I'm going to definitely run some tests but was curious as to what former Thru Hikers experienced.

Kerosene
03-03-2013, 14:47
Temperature as well as wind will influence efficiency. For a Fall hike, boiling 2-3 cups of water every morning and evening, a 110g isobutane canister lasted me for a bit more than 7 days. You will likely be boiling more water as you eat more, starting in week 2 and escalating. I'm sure that thru-hikers easily go through a large canister in 10 days or less.

Venchka
03-03-2013, 16:14
Temperature as well as wind will influence efficiency. For a Fall hike, boiling 2-3 cups of water every morning and evening, a 110g isobutane canister lasted me for a bit more than 7 days. You will likely be boiling more water as you eat more, starting in week 2 and escalating. I'm sure that thru-hikers easily go through a large canister in 10 days or less.
Kerosene,
Pleas define "large" canister: 220g-230g or 450g? I was at REI earlier and they stocked all 3 sizes. If I go with canisters, I'm leaning toward the 450g size.
Thanks!

Wayne

Jeff
03-03-2013, 19:16
Lots of thruhikers still use canister stoves so resupply is not a major problem. Also, check hiker boxes at hostels along the trail. They are usually loaded with partially used canisters. That may get you by if an outfitter is not near.