PDA

View Full Version : JetBoil v. MSR-type stoves

Hiker8250
02-28-2013, 21:24
Hey Everybody,

I am starting a 2013 thru-hike at the end of March. I have almost all my gear except a stove.
Right now I'm looking at either a JetBoil or one of the MSR models. I think I'm leaning towards the JetBoil, because of the built-in pot design.

Any wisdom?

yellowsirocco
02-28-2013, 21:41
The built in pot is efficient, but that isn't that big of an issue on the AT. There are plenty of places to get a canister and they aren't expensive compared to the restaurant meal you will eat in town.

The Jetboil is primarily a water boiler so if you want to do real cooking then go with a traditional pot.

RF_ace
02-28-2013, 21:47
Jetboil sol ti, love it, boil in 2:10 and everything is inclusive; you don't need to bring a cup, a pot , etc. My dragonfly wouldn't boil water in 10min below 40 degrees, very annoying and you couldn't put a cup on the burner for morning coffee, and heavy, DF with fuel, 2 pounds, plus pot/ large cup;jetboil with 100g fuel,15.9oz

Coffee
02-28-2013, 21:53
I have the Jetboil Sol Aluminum which is great for boiling water and for making meals that primarily require hot water for preparation. Things like Knorr sides, couscous, instant mashed potatoes, oatmeal and the like. I have been able to simmer but it is very hard and takes some practice. And once the bottom of the pot burns it is very difficult to remove the stains. So I'd agree that the Jetboil is the way to go if you primarily are boiling water but not if you are a backcountry gourmet cook.

I should note that many foods like the Knorr sides that suggest simmering for 7 minutes can cook pretty well just boiling water and putting the jetboil pot in a second cozy for 15-20 minutes. This works better with the rice based meals or with the smaller pasta sides but not that well with things like fettucini.

I'm still on the first small canister and I've been testing various recipes for several weeks now. I'd say that the claim to be able to boil 12 liters on a small canister are right on the money although I haven't kept track...

k2basecamp
02-28-2013, 23:12
I swear by my MSR whisperlite. Before that I had 2 MSR G/K,s since 1978. They do an excellent job in any weather. You can service them in the field.

Hiker8250
03-01-2013, 14:54
The JetBoil comes in a 0.8L or a 1.0L size. Which size is better for the trail?

Starchild
03-01-2013, 15:01
The smaller Jetboil is more then enough for a single hiker, for 2 either work well, for 3 then the larger one, past that step up to the Jetboil Sumo.

One thing I appreciate about the jetboil is it is fairly safe with the flame pretty well self contained which allows me to cook in the tent vestibule with a bit more safety (when conditions dictate) then some other stoves and set it up for morning coffee the night before allows hot coffee ready before having to fully wake up.

Astro
03-01-2013, 15:06
The JetBoil comes in a 0.8L or a 1.0L size. Which size is better for the trail?

I have the JetBoil Flash, and I love it. Although I just boil and then make Mountain House, Grits, and Oatmeal instead of really cooking (don't want to bother with pot cleanup). You can probably get by with 0.8L. Most meals at the most take 2 cups which is only .47L. Probably only need 1.0L if you drink lots of hot liquids (tea, coffee, hot chocolate) in addition to your meals.

Trance
03-02-2013, 14:45
http://www.amazon.com/MSR-11205-Reactor-Stove-System/dp/B000NGQ9GK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362249807&sr=8-1&keywords=msr+reactor

MSR Reactor if you can afford it. This thing has never let me down and boils water/makes simple food super fast. Each canister lasts me about 25 boils and is like $5. It's alittle heavier than a Jetboil SolTi... but it's better imo. Had a Jet Boil Ti and hated it.

ERNMAN
03-02-2013, 18:02
I have a jet boil.... love it. I also have the pot attachment that goes on top of stove for pots... I use that with a grease pot for wal mart when I want too...very convienant... Im sure there are lighter options,but i like this... :)

q-tip
03-03-2013, 11:37
Soto Stove + Oil Camp Pot-I have an old Jet Boil, but just too heavy at at pound.

Drybones
03-03-2013, 13:52
I own both type stoves mentioned and now use neither, use a homemade alcohol stove with a Foster pot instead, lighter, cheaper, easier to find fuel.

l84toff
03-03-2013, 14:40
I also use an alky stove - home made, total cost $1.72 with tax ($1.13 for the hole punch and $.59 for the cat food can). Total weight is 5 grams!! Definitely not as quick as a Jetboil, in fact it's quite slow in the cooler temps.

As for simmering, try making a cozy from Reflectix - the stuff is readily available at your local home depot. You can make a cozy for your pot or just an envelope style one to put your packaged food into. If the package calls for 8 min of simmering, leave it in the cozy for about double that and voila! This will also allow you to save on fuel.

Wise Old Owl
03-03-2013, 15:12
I have the MSR - but on the last trip all my friends showed up with alcohol stoves... The Jet Boil is sound... just don't like the size or weight... good for speed.... In the woods I don't need speed - just shelter mice.

Nytro
06-01-2013, 11:08
Ive had both the Jetboil Ti and MSR rocket both were great but if you have the money I would get the Jetboil. Its its own system and happens to use less fuel with its own mug design.

Grey Ghost
06-07-2013, 19:04
Looking for the thread if someone can point me to it. He used 2 cans and a car jack to seal them together. Thanks, Grey Ghost.

JoeH
06-09-2013, 22:22
i like msr, had a whisperlite for at least 8 years and i bring that for group trips when you can split the weight of fuel and cooking container etc. a friend of mine had a jetboil ti and the metal bottom things broke (i thing from it cooling too fast may have has liquid on it), have heard that happing to others go with the al version. or for less money go for snowpeak 700 mug kit can house everything you need (that what i use solo love it)

OzJacko
06-09-2013, 22:34
I use alcohol as first choice, sometimes a gas canister and whisperlite. The alcohol doesn't work well in the cold.

I have never met anyone with a working Jetboil who doesn't love it.
I have met a few that have had them break - I never listen too much as to exactly what breaks as I have no intention of getting one, but apparently they can break. When they do they don't work. Never come across a broken whisperlite.

Coffee
06-10-2013, 06:42
I used my Jetboil Sol Aluminum on a recent trip with a small canister. Over six days, I cooked 12 meals plus 12 hot drinks. About 7 quarts of water in total. Since I was flying home and had no place to donate the partially empty canister I flared off the remaining contents on the last day after breakfast. It burned for 28 minutes. I think I could have easily gone another 4-5 days on the canister. I plan to take just a single small canister on the JMT between Yosemite and Muir Trail Ranch and another small canister between MTR and Whitney.

Mr. Bumpy
06-10-2013, 09:44
I used to use a JetBoil but about three years ago switched to the Reactor. The Reactor is more efficient at boiling water than the JetBoil and you do have some more actual cooking ability than the JetBoil. For the 3-5 day long winter, spring, and fall trips I typically go on I have quit carrying a water filter and just boil everything I drink. Once I was out for seven days boiling all my drinking water and cooking with it and I never ran out of fuel.

k2basecamp
06-11-2013, 07:55
I used to use a JetBoil but about three years ago switched to the Reactor. The Reactor is more efficient at boiling water than the JetBoil and you do have some more actual cooking ability than the JetBoil. For the 3-5 day long winter, spring, and fall trips I typically go on I have quit carrying a water filter and just boil everything I drink. Once I was out for seven days boiling all my drinking water and cooking with it and I never ran out of fuel.

I would go with the MSR whisperlite. I have had an MSR G/K for 30 + years and it worked under any conditions. The whisperlite is great for actually cooking stuff other than boiling water for dehydrtaed food.

IndyMike
06-15-2013, 18:29
You can check this one out on YouTube: http://youtu.be/us7AeG7OEY4

I hope it helps.

coheterojo
06-15-2013, 18:32
I've used my Jetboil since 2005 and love it. It's served me well on 2 complete thru-hikes and is about to go on a 3rd one.