PDA

View Full Version : Gear list for 1/2 NOBO

Canam
02-28-2013, 21:29
Maybe people are tired of commenting on gear lists, but I loved looking through those threads so I'm putting mine up for comments and suggestions. My wife and I are leaving Springer on March 30 and are hoping to get to Harper's Ferry by mid June (if we don't, we don't, but it's our goal). I'm carrying the tent and she'll be carrying some other shared gear. The base weight for the kit below is about 15.25 lbs, not including the shared gear my wife will carry.

I've bought or already owned the big 3 and clothing.

* denotes estimated weight. Everything else is based on company specs or has been personally weighed.

Pack and organization
ULA Circuit - 39 oz (hydration sleeve removed)
2 trash compactor bags - 2 oz (one for pack liner, one for quilt)
S2S 35L dry bag - 1.6 oz (food bag for two people)
S2S 8L dry bag - 0.8 oz (sleeping clothes and down jacket)
S2S 4L mesh - 1.3 oz (miscellaneous)

Shelter and sleeping
Easton Kilo 2P - 42 oz
Enlightened Equipment Revelation Quilt 20F - 22 oz
Thermarest Prolite Reg - 16 oz

Clothing and equipment always worn
Icebreaker 150 LS halfzip - 5 oz
Mountain Hardware zipoffs - 16 oz
Icebreaker Hike Lite Mini socks - 2.15 oz
Exofficio underwear - 3.25 oz
Baseball cap - 3.25 oz
Merrell Moab Ventilator Low - 31 oz
Black Diamond Trail Back poles - 20 oz

Clothing in pack
Icebreaker 260 LS - 9 oz (for sleeping)
Capilene 3 bottoms - 7.5 oz (for sleeping)
Nike Dri-Fit Tshirt - 5.25 oz (considering leaving at home until I hit warmer weather, I'm fine rolling sleeves up on my Icebreaker 150)
Generic microfleece halfzip - 9 oz (don't know if I need this and the down jacket; will see what I like to use and may send this back)
GoLite Demaree Canyon 800 down jacket - 14 oz
Icebreaker Hike Lite Mini socks - 2.15 oz
Icebreaker Hike Mid Crew - 2.75 oz (for sleeping)
Exofficio underwear - 3 oz
Marmot Aegis rain jacket - 13.5 oz
Loki All n One Balaclava - 2 oz
Bandana - 1 oz*
GoLite Thinsulate gloves - 3 oz

Cooking and water
Homemade alcohol stove - 2 oz* (carried by wife)
Homemade windscreen - 0.5 oz* (carried by wife)
Alcohol - 8 oz* (carried by wife)
Snow Peak Ti Cook n Save 2L pot - 8.6 oz (carried by wife)
S2S Delta bowl - 2.8 oz (without lid)
Chinese soup spoon - 1.5 oz* (love the volume of these spoons)
Matches in a ziploc - 2 oz*
Bic mini lighter - 2 oz*
3x 1L Platypus soft bottles - 3.6 oz (closure caps)

Miscellaneous
50' Mt Laurel ECO Line rope - 1.2oz
Petzl Tactikka Plus headlamp - 2.5 oz
Leatherman Micra - 1.75 oz
Crappy cell phone and charger - 4.5 oz
First aid - 6 oz* (carried by wife)
Toothbrush - 1 oz*
Travel size toothpaste - 1.25 oz*
Dr. Bronner's soap - 4 oz*
Bodyglide mini stick - 2 oz*
ID/money/ATM card/credit card in a ziploc - 1 oz*
Mt Laurel SuperFly mini carabiner - 0.1 oz
1/2 Awol's AT guide - 4 oz
Nikon Coolpix AW100 - 6.2 oz (waterproof, shockproof, freeze proof to 14F)
Coolpix charger - 4 oz*

Am thinking about adding a Kindle or an iPad mini, which would add 10-14 oz. If I bring the iPad mini, I'd probably ditch the cell phone. I'm not interested in rehashing the electronics vs no electronics argument - that won't play into my final decision here.

My wife's weight is maybe a pound lighter. Her pack (Osprey Aura 50) and sleeping bag (Feathered Friends Egret 20) are slightly heavier and she's carrying some shared gear, but I'm carrying the tent and her clothes are slightly lighter.

Canam
02-28-2013, 21:31
Planning on doing a trial run after my quilt hopefully arrives next week

RodentWhisperer
02-28-2013, 23:20
I assume you've test-filled your pack? I ask because the Circuit's main body holds 2400 cubic inches, and in combination your stuff sacks (if stuffed) would need about 2900 cubic inches. And that doesn't count the space needed for your quilt.

Canam
02-28-2013, 23:53
I assume you've test-filled your pack? I ask because the Circuit's main body holds 2400 cubic inches, and in combination your stuff sacks (if stuffed) would need about 2900 cubic inches. And that doesn't count the space needed for your quilt.

that food sack will never be fully filled while in my bag. my wife and i will split carrying the food, but it will all in the dry sack to be hung up. 35L is likely much more than we'll ever need anyway. i was going to get a 20L, but backcountry had the 35L on clearance for less and they only weight .3 oz more so I picked it up.

bubonicplay
03-01-2013, 03:20
Clothes are heavy, ditch the dedicated sleep top. Ditch the compactor bags, keep one if you feel the need.

bubonicplay
03-01-2013, 03:22
Also ditch the 42 oz tent. Try to shave that weight in half.

Canam
03-01-2013, 19:26
Also ditch the 42 oz tent. Try to shave that weight in half.

It's for two people, so it's pretty good on a weight per person basis. My wife said there's no way in hell she's sleeping in a tarp, so this is about as light as it gets for a 2P freestanding tent. Flycreek ul2 and golite's 2P are about the same.

Blissful
03-01-2013, 21:07
Looks pretty good to me.
Be sure you both have first aid kits. Just my opinion.
Did I miss your water purification method?
Maps
We liked the Nalgene Canteen to gather water for two people
I think cooking with Alcohol for 2 people is gonna be a pain. But I am not fond of alcohol anyway
I think 3 lbs for a shared tent is fine. We loved our MSR hubba hubba.
I'd keep your clothes for now. Can ship some home in May. But see how it works out. I think 2 pairs of socks is not enough. I love my socks.

The Dave
03-01-2013, 22:21
A few thoughts:

(1) Ditch the Leatherman. Replace it with a razor blade in a plastic sleeve. Weight savings: 1.5 oz.

(2) Go with a spork or a foon instead of the soup spoon. Weight savings: 1 oz.

(3) What's in the first aid kit that weighs a full 6 oz? I'm fairly certain you could shave at least an ounce or two off.

(4) Ditch the thinsulate gloves and get a pair of Possum Down gloves. Weight savings: 1.6 oz.

(5) There are lighter options for the down jacket. If you're willing to expend the cash, one of the Montbell jackets will take you down at least a few ounces.

(6) I don't think you need both the down and the fleece. Lose the fleece and save 9 oz.

(7) Only carry one of the Platypus soft bottles and replace the other two with a 2L platy. Weight savings 1.1 oz.

(8) Wrap some duct tape around one of the trekking poles. It's a good all-around item for repairs and a good supplement to your first aid kit.

Best of luck with the hike.

Canam
03-04-2013, 18:51
Looks pretty good to me.
Be sure you both have first aid kits. Just my opinion.

Good suggestion. I hike faster than she does and although I'll stop frequently to let her catch up, I like the idea of each of us having something.

Did I miss your water purification method?

Forgot to put Aqua Mira down

I think cooking with Alcohol for 2 people is gonna be a pain. But I am not fond of alcohol anyway.

I'm very skeptical but my wife wants to try it. We'll do a test run this week.

Canam
03-04-2013, 19:04
A few thoughts:

(1) Ditch the Leatherman. Replace it with a razor blade in a plastic sleeve. Weight savings: 1.5 oz.

I like the idea how having scissors. How do you cut your nails?

A few thoughts:
(2) Go with a spork or a foon instead of the soup spoon. Weight savings: 1 oz.

My wife is planning the food and says all food will be able to be eaten with a spoon. I don't like the volume of the sporks I've found. I conservatively guessed the weight of the soup spoon. If it gets delivered and is actually pretty heavy, I may reconsider.

A few thoughts:
(3) What's in the first aid kit that weighs a full 6 oz? I'm fairly certain you could shave at least an ounce or two off.
We haven't put it together yet, so this was a conservative estimate based on how "careful" my wife likes to be. I'm hoping it comes in under 4 oz when we put it together this week.

A few thoughts:
(5) There are lighter options for the down jacket. If you're willing to expend the cash, one of the Montbell jackets will take you down at least a few ounces.

I may do that if I have budget left over after everything else is purchased since I already have the golite. If I don't get to it this time, I may add a Montbell jacket to my birthday/Christmas list. They look great.

(7) Only carry one of the Platypus soft bottles and replace the other two with a 2L platy. Weight savings 1.1 oz.

(8) Wrap some duct tape around one of the trekking poles. It's a good all-around item for repairs and a good supplement to your first aid kit.
Good suggestions.

Thanks for the input.

Meriadoc
03-05-2013, 17:15
I like the idea how having scissors. How do you cut your nails?

I carry small nail clippers, they are handy for cutting bear line too (for use in repairs). No knife needed. Or bring a razor blade or 1" knife to round it out.

My wife is planning the food and says all food will be able to be eaten with a spoon. I don't like the volume of the sporks I've found. I conservatively guessed the weight of the soup spoon. If it gets delivered and is actually pretty heavy, I may reconsider.

Depends on style. I used one $1.00 acetal spoon from REI for my entire thru. I find sporks always left bits in the pot and was very happy with my spoon.

bigcranky
03-05-2013, 19:12
Decent list. Probably see you out there - my wife and I will be doing a short section. Similar set of gear. Our tent is 40 ounces (Lunar Duo), which is pretty light for a good 2-person weatherproof tent.

slbirdnerd
03-05-2013, 20:23
See and I'm learning something from your gear list now ;). Just got that Nikon myself and loving it so far. Since it will be the two of you, get a Stick Pic to attach the camera to your trekking pole so you can get a pic with you both in in now and then, or video while you are walking. It weighs 0.5 oz.

Canam
03-11-2013, 08:54
Decent list. Probably see you out there - my wife and I will be doing a short section. Similar set of gear. Our tent is 40 ounces (Lunar Duo), which is pretty light for a good 2-person weatherproof tent.
I really didn't like the Kilo 2P on my test run this weekend. Condensation is a big problem when there's two people in there because it's so small and the design makes it easy for the mesh to come into contact with the fly. I'm going to try to return it today. I'm taking a hard look at your Lunar Duo. It looks great.

bigcranky
03-11-2013, 14:02
We really like it. We sold a Double Rainbow for it a few years ago. The Lunar Duo has a lot of interior volume - more than any 2-person tent we've tried. It does get heavy condensation under the right conditions, but the mesh end walls prevent my bag from touching the wet areas. But I do sit up into a wet canopy from time to time :)

Seems there are more options these days, lots of people like the Lightheart Gear 2-person, and the Zpacks 2-person Hexamid is probably worth a look just for the ~1 pound total weight. Less interior room, of course.