PDA

View Full Version : where to visit SoBo hikers around July 9-

karen0540
06-16-2005, 13:44
I am planning to visit kids on the trail around July 9...they started out SoBo June 12 from start in Maine. David planned to come home with me to attend our annual fishing trip to Minnesota, but I am doubtful he will want to abandon his companion mid hike. Regardless, I want to come out there. So big question...any idea where they may be by July 9, and where I should position myself to find them? I know this depends upon many factors, but your best guesses will surely help. Thanks in advance! Karen:-?

attroll
06-16-2005, 14:21
That is a hard choice. It all depends on their hiking paces and if they are stopping in Monson for a zero day or not. My guess would be that they would be south of the Kennebec River by then. Maybe just this side of the Bigelows or on the other side. Maybe the Stratton area. Maybe some more experienced thru-hikers can answer this. But unless they are going to meet you somewhere and they know you are coming then it will be very hard to try and pinpoint where to catch them.

A-Train
06-16-2005, 14:52
27 days into their hike, at a 10 mpd pace would have them around the Maine/New Hampshire line give or take. So probably Andover Maine or Gorham New Hampshire. All depends on their pace though. I'd say it takes the average SOBO about a month to get out of maine. Takes the NOBO about 20

karen0540
06-17-2005, 02:59
...I will need to talk to them on the phone first to let them know. Hopefully, I will be home when they call...may have to change my incoming voice mail message to say "hi. We aren't home. Please leave message. And David, find me in ------ around July 9!" Already received a call, but could not decipher message due to poor connection...just heard "great time"..."doing fine"..."send rice"..."forgot my raincoat"..."suppossed to rain all week"...All seems well. What a relief! I am no longer so worried as I am jealous!:o

Dharma
06-17-2005, 11:20
To be real honest, don't ask him to come find you on July 9. You should go find him. He's only moving at 2-3 MPH, whereas you can cover lots more ground in a car. You will have to keep communicating and fine tune your schedules in the first few days of July.

Don't worry, it will work out.

Doc
06-17-2005, 13:13
There are no real stores in Monson to buy gear of any consequence, but if they stay at Shaw's Keith Jr. can take them to the outfitter in Greenville to get some stuff. Probably too late to send anything to Monson (Shaws) at this point. Glad to hear that they are doing well.

Doc

Jaybird
06-17-2005, 14:40
I am planning to visit kids on the trail around July 9...they started out SoBo June 12 from start in Maine. David planned to come home with me to attend our annual fishing trip to Minnesota, but I am doubtful he will want to abandon his companion mid hike. Regardless, I want to come out there. So big question...any idea where they may be by July 9, and where I should position myself to find them? I know this depends upon many factors, but your best guesses will surely help. Thanks in advance! Karen:-?

the average for a THRU-HIKER...is now 12 miles per day (for 6 months of hiking)...12(mpd)X28(days)= 336 miles.......

that should put them approaching GLENCLIFF, NH

if one of them has a CELL-PHONE or "checks in" with you soon....find out their pace & then "SURPRISE" them...with some "TRAIL MAGIC!"

karen0540
06-17-2005, 14:48
I will find them, instead of vice versa. I made a mistake in my wording there. Just trying to figure out from where I should begin my search.:-?

karen0540
06-17-2005, 14:51
the average for a THRU-HIKER...is now 12 miles per day (for 6 months of hiking)...12(mpd)X28(days)= 336 miles.......

that should put them approaching GLENCLIFF, NH

if one of them has a CELL-PHONE or "checks in" with you soon....find out their pace & then "SURPRISE" them...with some "TRAIL MAGIC!" I am currently reading "A Walk in the Woods" and just learned what "trail magic" is last night! Great idea!!!!! It would be sooooooo cool to pop up out of nowhere w/ candy and meet them posing as a NoBo somewhere on the trail!..."OH! Hello David and Kate! What's happenin'?" LOL! Great idea!!! Thanks!:jump