PDA

View Full Version : Weighing your pack

hikingirl
03-01-2013, 07:11
Hi,
I was wondering what people use to weigh there pack. I have a BR scale but the pack is too big.

rocketsocks
03-01-2013, 07:15
Put the pack on your back, step on scale, read reading, step off scale. Remove pack, step on scale, read reading, subtract second reading from first...

That should get ya with-in a few oz..or 1/4 lb.

Trebor66
03-01-2013, 07:59
Add Content

rocketsocks
03-01-2013, 08:41
Add ContentDamn, knew I forgot something!

bigcranky
03-01-2013, 08:48
Bathroom scale works for the whole pack, using the weigh-twice-and-subtract method. The serious gram weenies* use a kitchen scale to weight individual items down to the gram or the tenth of an ounce. Then keep a spreadsheet with all the gear and add it up there.

*yeah, okay, I'm just speaking for myself

rocketsocks
03-01-2013, 08:55
Bathroom scale works for the whole pack, using the weigh-twice-and-subtract method. The serious gram weenies* use a kitchen scale to weight individual items down to the gram or the tenth of an ounce. Then keep a spreadsheet with all the gear and add it up there.

*yeah, okay, I'm just speaking for myselfNo no, your right. I just down loaded this the other day after seeing it posted here on WB
http://www.geargrams.com/assets/tutorial/geargrams_tutorial.swf

Son Driven
03-01-2013, 09:09
I have yet to catch a fish that weighs as much as my pack. However, I do use my fish weighing scale to check my pack weight.

TheGreek
03-01-2013, 09:26
Gym scale. I get some strange looks/questions.

slbirdnerd
03-01-2013, 10:21
If you want to weight a few small things individually, go to the self serve scale at the post office. (Works for the Pinewood Derby car, too...)

NLaeger
03-01-2013, 10:55
Gym scale. I get some strange looks/questions.
I get the strange looks as well!!! Even more so when I am on the stair stepper or walking around the track!

bannerstone
03-01-2013, 10:57
A set of antique iron hanging balance scales. They're surprisingly accurate and fairly common.

David

ATMountainTime
03-01-2013, 11:06
I have yet to catch a fish that weighs as much as my pack. However, I do use my fish weighing scale to check my pack weight.

I have yet to catch a fish now that i bought the scale....maybe thats the problem. :banana

I bought mine a Dicks Sporting goods for like $9. Its helped tremendously in shaving pounds.

Slo-go'en
03-01-2013, 11:23
+1 on the fish scale. $20 for a digital one at Wallyworld, $10 for an analog. Postal scale for small stuff. I found my cheap bathroom scale to be inconsistant, depended on how I stood on it.

Half Note
03-01-2013, 11:31
I work at a pediatrician's office so we have one of those scales that babies are placed in. I just substitute my pack for said baby. For everything else, I use a kitchen scale - twenty bones at Wally World.

BirdBrain
03-01-2013, 11:40

You clearly need to come to Maine. I once caught a Striper in Casco Bay on a collapsible pole that weighed about 22lb.

I am a gram weenie for the small stuff and use the bathroom scale method for the whole thing.

TheGreek
03-01-2013, 12:07
I get the strange looks as well!!! Even more so when I am on the stair stepper or walking around the track!

Yeah. I've gotten a lot of questions about my pack while I am on the treadmills or in the locker room. There is also a firefighter at my gym that gets on the treadmill with his gear on!

Maui Rhino
03-01-2013, 15:29
I picked up a cheap luggage scale from my local Ace Hardware, but WallyWorld has them too (in the suitcase section) for around $10~$15. It has a hook to lift your pack with, and I have found it pretty handy. I tied some paracord to the handle and hung it from a nail in a rafter in my garage, so it is easy to hang my pack and see how the weight changes as I add stuff.

bfayer
03-01-2013, 15:41
You clearly need to come to Maine. I once caught a Striper in Casco Bay on a collapsible pole ...

I had to reread that. I thought you said you caught a stripper at Costco :)

To keep on topic, I use both methods. I use a kitchen scale for gear, and the bathroom scale, pack on pack off method for the loaded pack.

slntmnt
03-01-2013, 20:23
If you stare at it long enough the answer will come to you

The Ace
03-02-2013, 00:30
Hikingirl: As others have mentioned, you can get a digital kitchen scale at Walmart for about $20. Mine has a surface area of only 7 x 7 inches. However, I can balance a plastic laundry basket on it and place larger items in the basket to weigh, including my pack itself, and it has a”tare” function to compensate for the weight of the laundry basket. I’ve tested it with known weights and it’s dead-on in ounces. It has a maximum weight of ten pounds, but you can divide up your stuff and add up the weights. If you are interested in reducing your base weight, the recommendation given above of listing the weight of each item on a spreadsheet helps you to identify opportunities.

The Ace
03-02-2013, 01:04

People exaggerate about the weight of their packs just like people exaggerate about the weight of their fish -- only in opposite directions.

Schooley
03-02-2013, 01:22
Digital kitchen scale for the small stuff and a luggage scale for the big stuff. And a bathroom scale for my big s$$

Lone Wolf
03-02-2013, 08:16
what is the point of weighing a pack?

The Ace
03-02-2013, 11:03
what is the point of weighing a fish?

Son Driven
03-02-2013, 11:22
You clearly need to come to Maine. I once caught a Striper in Casco Bay on a collapsible pole that weighed about 22lb.

I am a gram weenie for the small stuff and use the bathroom scale method for the whole thing.

My pack dry, without food or fuel comes in about the size of your 22# fish.

Odd Man Out
03-02-2013, 11:25

You weigh your fish so you can brag about how heavy it is. You weigh your pack so you can brag about how light it is.

The Gambler
03-02-2013, 11:33
@ lone wolf...glad to see you're back...site isn't the same without you....hope you are feeling better and have a speedy recovery

Trebor66
03-02-2013, 11:41
Oops, damn smart phone.....

hikingirl
03-02-2013, 22:08
Thanks soo much for the advice. Very helpful

Lone Wolf
03-02-2013, 22:35

do you ride the bus or take your lunch to school?

MuddyWaters
03-02-2013, 22:47
There is no need to weigh your pack.
You should know precisely what you are putting in to it,..... if you care.
If you dont, then it doesnt matter.

Needing to weigh it, is pretty much akin to stating that you havent excercised much control over what you put in.

Tree Nerd
03-03-2013, 15:55

hmmm.....I have been looking for somewhere inside to prep for my thru. I thought about using the campus gym but never committed to it. I may have to try that. Do you pack your pack with all your gear or do you just put weights in it?

Wise Old Owl
03-03-2013, 16:01

Bragging rights.... You need to sit around the bar down south near a lake.... ( It was this big )

I use a digital fish scale.

BigRing
03-04-2013, 17:12

....spring striper season starts soon on the Potomac,.....caught a 52lb 49" wopper last spring.

Tharwood
03-13-2013, 07:05
Food scale from Bead Bath and Beyond... will weigh up to 5lbs in oz/ Gms . Just keep a list and add at the end. Its funny how may times you will tear everything apart to shave a ounce or two.....Or.. Maybe its my OCD...LOL