PDA

View Full Version : Thru hiking and airport security

atbound2013
03-01-2013, 09:14
I'm flying out of austin to atlanta on the 18th of march, and i'm not sure what problems I may run into at the airport with all of my gear! Any tips or ideas on the best way the get my gear to atlanta safely would be greatly appreciated. I was thinking of buying a ticket for my pack so that i could be in control of all my gear at all times, but i'm worried about TSA screeners sending me to guantanamo after finding my tent stakes. Any ideas? Thanks!

royalusa
03-01-2013, 09:20
Here's a really good link with lots of info:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?79830-Gear-that-makes-TSA-grumpy-%28Aka-quot-what-gear-to-check-quot-%29

NLaeger
03-01-2013, 11:00
Get a cheap duffle bag to put your pack into and then check it. You won't be able to carry a few things onto the plane anyways so it's not worth the extra money to buy a ticket! You can also just get a smaller bag and check all the things that you can't carry on- knife, stove, poles, stakes, ect. and then carry on the rest of your pack and put it on the overhead bin.

Coffee
03-01-2013, 11:07
Has anyone ever carried a ULA Catalyst (fully packed) as carry on luggage? I don't see why not since it isn't really bigger than a typical carry on suitcase but I'd hate to have trouble at the gate and then have the baggage handlers insist on checking the bag. I'm heading out to the Grand Canyon in May and debating whether to sent most of my gear ahead (including pack) vs. trying to carry on the Catalyst and sending only the prohibited items ahead.

ATMountainTime
03-01-2013, 11:10
Id ship it UPS or Fed Ex in a duffel. I live in Atlanta, so if I can help let me know.

I could only imagine the hassle of trying to get through TSA with a pack. I wouldn't trust those guys with a potato gun.

DeerPath
03-01-2013, 11:17
Ship your pack via UPS to Hiker Hostel, www.hikerhostel.com (http://www.hikerhostel.com) , they will pick you up, put you to bed, feed you breakfast, give you fuel, and put you on the trail. WHAT A DEAL!:sun

CarlZ993
03-01-2013, 11:28
I'm flying out of austin to atlanta on the 18th of march, and i'm not sure what problems I may run into at the airport with all of my gear! Any tips or ideas on the best way the get my gear to atlanta safely would be greatly appreciated. I was thinking of buying a ticket for my pack so that i could be in control of all my gear at all times, but i'm worried about TSA screeners sending me to guantanamo after finding my tent stakes. Any ideas? Thanks!

Another Austinite... I'm flying out on the 20th. Trail name = Zman. Probably see you on the trail at some point.

I put my pack in a duffel bag and it is checked baggage on my flight. Flown this way multiple times. No problems yet (knock on wood).

handlebar
03-01-2013, 11:42
I always put mine in a duffel and check it. No problems yet.

Check your airlines web page for what you can have in checked baggage. I know that Southwest doesn't any fuel (alcohol, white gas, or canisters). Nor do they permit camping stoves unless they're in their original package. Also, there is something on their web page about no lithium batteries, though I've never had a problem checking them in the plastic container they are sold in. There are also issues with BIC and similar lighters and matches---don't remember whether it's with carry on or checked luggage.

You cannot carry on hiking poles and not even the smallest Swiss Army Knife (the one with a 1-1/2" blade). Save the hassle and check everything.

Turk6177
03-01-2013, 20:36
You can always tape it in a cardboard box and check it. That should suffice to keep your stuff from getting ruined.

just dad
03-01-2013, 21:20
I have carried my Catalyst on flights about 1/2 loaded. The last time I did so an airline employee made me put in in the box to make sure it fit the carry on size limit. It fit, but only because it was not full.

stranger
03-02-2013, 08:38
I have flown domestically and internationally dozens of times in the last 10 years, to give some perspective I've crossed the Pacific Ocean more than 35 times alone...every single time I've taken my pack with me. Amount of problems I've had = Zero.

Campmor sells a massive stuff sack, something like 16x42, for like $15...I've used that as a pack cover since 2001, it still works very well. Simply put your pack inside that, or something like that, and check your pack. Or some airports will shrink wrap your pack on the spot. CARRY ON is where you will run into problems with TSA, not checking your bag.

If you are really concerned about them losing your bag, and in my experience this is a empty fear, ship and insure your pack to the hiker hostel or motel, etc...

Again, things like tent stakes, hiking poles, knives, nail clippers, are only an issue if you try to carry them on. The big issue is stoves, and fuel...I use a cat food can stove and just put it in my pack and check it with no problems, obviously you can't carry fuel of ANY sort.

In well over 100 flights...I've had a bag misplaced twice, and in both scenarios got the bag back within 36 hours. I wouldn't worry about it, but if you are stressed, ship and insure your pack.

BobTheBuilder
03-02-2013, 09:09
Has anyone ever carried a ULA Catalyst (fully packed) as carry on luggage? I don't see why not since it isn't really bigger than a typical carry on suitcase but I'd hate to have trouble at the gate and then have the baggage handlers insist on checking the bag. I'm heading out to the Grand Canyon in May and debating whether to sent most of my gear ahead (including pack) vs. trying to carry on the Catalyst and sending only the prohibited items ahead.

Your ULA Catalyst is smaller than 22" x 14" x 9" fully packed? Mine sure isn't. Check it or ship it ahead to the Hiker Hostel via UPS. Don't sabotage your own trip before you start.

garlic08
03-02-2013, 09:36
I've been able, many times, to carry my Gossamer Gear pack on board, sometimes along with hiking poles. But the pack has not been fully loaded and was easily stuffed in the right places. The poles got refused one time and I had to go back and check them, so leave time for that. That one time was on a flight to Denver and there were several other people boarding with packs and, you guessed it, hiking poles. It just depends on the agent you get. Do NOT argue. I hear if you say they're walking aids, you have a better chance of getting them on board.

Coffee
03-02-2013, 10:48
Your ULA Catalyst is smaller than 22" x 14" x 9" fully packed? Mine sure isn't. Check it or ship it ahead to the Hiker Hostel via UPS. Don't sabotage your own trip before you start.

I had a very bad experience over a decade ago when my checked bags were lost on a trip to Edmonton. It ruined a planned trip in Jasper and has made me paranoid about checking bags particularly when I have a tight schedule upon arrival. I literally had to turn around and go back home because I was signed up for a group trip that was leaving the next morning.

I don't know ... I may just ship my entire pack with gear to a post office or FedEx location near the airport and pick it up on arrival. But I am guessing this is big bucks.

Sly
03-02-2013, 11:47
Personally in order to avoid any hassle, I board a plane with as little as possible, so I either use a duffle bag for checked baggage or ship it using USPS.

If you want to ship it, you can get a moving box from the Home Depot (http://www.homedepot.com/Storage-Organization-Moving-Boxes-Supplies-Moving-Boxes/h_d1/N-5yc1vZb9nr/R-202029359/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051#.UTIeJaKG2So) that will hold a ULA pack and poles (needs to be loosely packed) and mail 35 lbs USPS for $29.00 standard pos (http://postcalc.usps.com/Summary.aspx?m=7&p=35&o=0&dz=30533&oz=78701&pob=0&MailingDate=3/2/2013&MailingTime=8:00%20AM&time=Thu%2c%20Mar%207&rect=True&l=18&h=24&w=18&g=0&mt=15&es=106)t with delivery confirmation to the hiker hostel (a little less or more depending on weight). It says 5 days but I'd give it a week.

atbound2013
03-03-2013, 20:04
Another Austinite... I'm flying out on the 20th. Trail name = Zman. Probably see you on the trail at some point.

I put my pack in a duffel bag and it is checked baggage on my flight. Flown this way multiple times. No problems yet (knock on wood).

Hey Zman, Glad to see an Austinite will be out there! Thanks for the advice, and I look forward to meeting you! Good luck with everything, my guess is your life is just as crazy as mine right now..getting ready and all.

SCRUB HIKER
03-03-2013, 22:29
I've read that you're more likely as a thru-hiker to be pulled aside for additional screening because you've got a one-way ticket. And on the way back home at the end, you have the added problem of looking like a lunatic.

CarlZ993
03-03-2013, 23:53
Hey Zman, Glad to see an Austinite will be out there! Thanks for the advice, and I look forward to meeting you! Good luck with everything, my guess is your life is just as crazy as mine right now..getting ready and all.
You got that right! The week before I leave for the AT, I'm taking a Boy Scout trip to the Grand Canyon during Spring Break. I get back from the GC on Sun night & fly out to Atlanta on Wed. I've got check lists for my check lists. Yikes!

CarlZ993
03-03-2013, 23:55
I've read that you're more likely as a thru-hiker to be pulled aside for additional screening because you've got a one-way ticket. And on the way back home at the end, you have the added problem of looking like a lunatic.
Especially if you have no carry-on or checked luggage (shipped your stuff). Can you say 'Cavity search' boys & girls?

Dogwood
03-04-2013, 14:08
I have also flown both internationally and domestically with my pack MANY times. I prefer carrying my pack on board but I do have a UL low volume kit that fits in overheads(usually a ULA CDT/Conduit 3200 cubic in pack with nothing hanging off it on the outside), between my feet, in storage lockers, etc. Sometimes size of a pack/luggage dictates whether it has to be checked or not. My loaded pack always fits inside the size parameters that allow me to carry it on board. Airline websites have these dimensions listed as well as what the current TSA carry on rules are.

I've always flown with Ti or Al tent stakes with no problem. Never questioned about them either. Isobutane tanks, compressed fuel, liquid fuel, lighters, knives(even small pocket knives), are a no no. The TSA will confiscate them if they find them or, offer to allow you to mail those items from the AP to your destination separately. Obviously, you should allow time if you decide to do this at the AP or if you reallly aren't sure if you need to mail any specifically prohibted items until the last minute. I would put my trekking pokes insisde my backpack if I could if I was carrying my pack on board OR place my pack in a duffel bag and check it. If you check it that way it makes traveling easier if you have a lg pack/kit. You can also place a pocket knife in checked baggage and it will be OK. The TSA has eased its policy a bit on how much liquid/gels/lotions etc such as perfumes/toothpaste/sun tan lotion/hand sanitizer etc one can now bring on board.

If you are staying in Dahlonega GA pre-hike at the Saint's Hiker Hostel you could mail any prohibted on flight items to the PO there or directly to the Hostel and carry the rest of your gear possibly checkingt it if you have too lg of a pack. The Saints hold AT packages.

Rambling Hiker, there are PO's on both the South and North Rims of the Grand Canyon and those who will hold your package if you decide to mail yourself questionable non flight items there. I'm really not seeing the need to have a large kit at Grand Canyon NP in May. Good grocery store at the south rim too right by the PO. I think that PO has Sat hrs too. I've had the lodges(even when not staying there) on both rims as well as the Ranger's Offices on the South/North Rim hold packages for me too. I also got the small campground store on the North Rim to hold a resupply box for me.