PDA

View Full Version : My hygiene kit. Tear it up and tell me why.

BirdBrain
03-01-2013, 11:28
In an effort to minimize my base gear weight, I am reassessing every component. I am looking for ideas, criticism, and advice. Who knows, maybe this list will benefit someone else too. I have trimmed my kit to 10.5oz. It might go up or down depending on feedback from you. Here it is.

Sink: Bottom of plastic water jug - 1.0 oz
Soap: Doctor Bronners in minibottle - 0.8 0z
Loofah: Don't know brand - 0.4oz
Wash cloth: Handi Wipe - 0.2oz
Towel: Absorber cut in half (half for me, half for gear) - 4.9oz
Toothbrush: Colgate Wisp - 0.1oz
Toothpaste: Dried dots - 0.3oz
Floss: 12 loose feet - Won't register on my scale
TP: Coleman Camper Toilet Paper - 1.3oz
Trowel: QiWizGear Titanium - 0.6oz
Hand sanitizer: Purell in minibottle - 0.9oz

Have at it guys. Please give me reasons too.

handlebar
03-01-2013, 11:34
I use a gallon Ziploc freezer bad with the top 1/4 turned down as a wash basin. It might be lighter than the water jug bottom.

Suggest ditching the soap and loofah. Just plain water will rinse off lots of grime and the salt that accumulates from perspiration. There will be soap and a shower when you go to town.

Lone Wolf
03-01-2013, 11:35

no need for any of these

max patch
03-01-2013, 11:41
Use a real toothbrush, real toothpaste, and bring a real container of floss.

Tipi Walter
03-01-2013, 11:41
Who needs a sink? Dead weight even at 1 oz.

Gotta have old bronners if nothing else than to wash your hands every couple days. Comes in real handy in warmer weather to wash your face and hair.

Forget the loofah. Use a paper towel.

Paper towel.

Forget this item. Use a paper towel.

Toothbrush: Colgate Wisp - 0.1oz

Gotta have these two.

Floss: 12 loose feet - Won't register on my scale
Important.

TP: Coleman Camper Toilet Paper - 1.3oz
Personal of course, but I use a wet paper towel. Bounty regulars work well. Get a roll of ten sheets with a rubber band. 4 rolls (40 sheets) last me about 20 days.

Forget the trowel---use the tip of your hiking pole.

Hand sanitizer: Purell in minibottle - 0.9oz
I like Gold Bond non-alcohol cleaner. Important after birthing turtleheads, etc.

FarmerChef
03-01-2013, 11:43
no need for any of these

LW I agree with most of what you state there is no need for but I have found several times where I would not have had anything to dry off with without my lightload towel. One spot comes to mind - Graymoor Spiritual Life Center on a cool evening taking a cold shower. No towel provided. I could have stood there and air dried I suppose.

I could see getting rid of the towel all together but I'd like to know how you get along without it before I change my gear.

Different Socks
03-01-2013, 11:46
My answer? Take what you think you need, then get rid of it as you go as you laern you don't need it or use it. Much of what I would carry, many(too many) poeple at the this site would never carry, so personally I would take most of what you have listed.

BirdBrain
03-01-2013, 12:29
I see a lot of people not bringing a trowel. Some suggest using trekking pole to dig hole. Wouldn't this tear up the pole in no time if you dug a proper hole? Do people just let it fly and move on? I understand a lot of creatures do it in the woods and don't bury it afterwards. I thought tp was the real issue here. It seems this has been a common practice for a while.

Deuteronomy 23:13 "And thou shalt have a paddle upon thy weapon; and it shall be, when thou wilt ease thyself abroad, thou shalt dig therewith, and shalt turn back and cover that which cometh from thee"

max patch
03-01-2013, 12:51
Not going to comment on whether its the right thing to do or not, but it'd be my guess that most people make a cat hole by kicking the ground with their heel.

bigcranky
03-01-2013, 13:24
Sink: Bottom of plastic water jug - 1.0 oz -- pretty handy, I used to carry one of these. I don't anymore
Soap: Doctor Bronners in minibottle - 0.8 0z -- fine
Loofah: Don't know brand - 0.4oz -- I use a piece of a mesh onion bag, maybe 8 inches square, weighs nothing
Wash cloth: Handi Wipe - 0.2oz -- I use one of my bandanas
Towel: Absorber cut in half (half for me, half for gear) - 4.9oz -- bandana again, as I carry 2
Toothbrush: Colgate Wisp - 0.1oz -- I like a real toothbrush and regular paste
Floss: 12 loose feet - Won't register on my scale -- fine, I suppose you can cut some as needed
TP: Coleman Camper Toilet Paper - 1.3oz -- I cut the blue shop towels into quarters and use those for TP, they hold up better
Trowel: QiWizGear Titanium - 0.6oz -- I use a "snow stake" which can be used as a spare tent stake
Hand sanitizer: Purell in minibottle - 0.9oz -- yup, always take this

The other thing in my kit now is a tiny bottle of dental stuff that can reattach a crown or fill a broken tooth. Didn't know I needed it until a recent trip when I really needed it.

Fur Queue
03-01-2013, 13:35
In an effort to minimize my base gear weight, I am reassessing every component. I am looking for ideas, criticism, and advice. Who knows, maybe this list will benefit someone else too. I have trimmed my kit to 10.5oz. It might go up or down depending on feedback from you. Here it is.

Have at it guys. Please give me reasons too.

Great thread for me too....if I may be so bold could I suggest a tent peg?

BirdBrain
03-01-2013, 13:38
Great thread for me too....if I may be so bold could I suggest a tent peg?

You could be so bold and that ain't a half bad idea. Might be a bit slower. I like that better than just letting tp blow in the wind. I will consider.

FarmerChef
03-01-2013, 13:52
when I go hiking on sections it is with my wife and kids, 2 of whom are girls. For that reason alone I carry a trowel. Plus digging a cathole once in PA attempting to approach anything close to the recommended depth is enough for me to consider a tool with a bit of, um, fortitude. Lesser trowels be ye warned. I have used it enough to more than justify it's weight and space in my pack.

Tipi Walter
03-01-2013, 14:01
I see a lot of people not bringing a trowel. Some suggest using trekking pole to dig hole. Wouldn't this tear up the pole in no time if you dug a proper hole? Do people just let it fly and move on? I understand a lot of creatures do it in the woods and don't bury it afterwards. I thought tp was the real issue here. It seems this has been a common practice for a while.

Deuteronomy 23:13 "And thou shalt have a paddle upon thy weapon; and it shall be, when thou wilt ease thyself abroad, thou shalt dig therewith, and shalt turn back and cover that which cometh from thee"

A good hiking pole works great for gouging out a cathole. Just grip the pole at the base with two hands and starting tearing into the soil. It takes me about 20 seconds to get a decent deep-enough hole for the Turd. If you punch down with the carbide tip, you can scoot out a lot of soil.

The other thing in my kit now is a tiny bottle of dental stuff that can reattach a crown or fill a broken tooth. Didn't know I needed it until a recent trip when I really needed it.

This is true I guess because I was out in December on the Nichols Cove trail and lost two crowns and a bridge ZAP and I had 11 days to go. Crowned tooth nubs can get tricky---hellish possibly/sometimes---but I didn't have any dental stuff and don't know if it would've worked anyway. I reseated the contraption and only ate on the other side. Sucked.

Lyle
03-01-2013, 14:34
Not going to comment on whether its the right thing to do or not, but it'd be my guess that most people make a cat hole by kicking the ground with their heel.

When conditions allow (most of the time):

Find a loose rock about 6-10 inches across.

Tip it over.

Use heal of foot to scuff a hole.

Use a stick to deepen the hole and break roots that are probably in the way.

Make deposit.

Use stick to push everything deep into hole,

Use stick to push dirt back over the hole, making sure everything is covered.

Pat down with foot.

Tip rock back over the hole - no trace.

Stick should still be clean if you were careful - toss it aside.

Done.

bigcranky
03-01-2013, 16:08
I guess I must eat different food or something but there is no way I could every use my boot heel to kick a large enough hole. Let's just leave it at that, shall we? :p

rocketsocks
03-01-2013, 16:28
I've been thinking about getting one of those dental floss tools where you string your own floss, that way you don't have to put your fingers down your neck...I like the tooth paste dry dots idea, do you make your own?

Odd Man Out
03-01-2013, 19:16

Wow, hiking advice in Deuteronomy! Too cool. But be careful. If you go too far you will have to follow all the mildew laws too and you'll spend your whole hike getting things purified in the Temple!

But seriously, in addition to what has already been suggested (no trowel, sink, loofa, towel), I also suggest a bar of Ivory Soap. Liquid soap is mostly water (i.e. dead weight). Ivory is pure soap, cheap, readily available. Cut off a small chunk to carry. It will last a long time. The rest goes in the bounce box or give to someone else.

BirdBrain
03-02-2013, 01:24
I've been thinking about getting one of those dental floss tools where you string your own floss, that way you don't have to put your fingers down your neck...I like the tooth paste dry dots idea, do you make your own?

As to the dental floss, I think a plain long piece is best. Start at one end and use as normal with the excess balled in one hand. When you are done you can cut about 1" from the finger on the hand that has the excess. That way you save what was wrapped on the finger on the hand with the excess instead of tossing the whole thing. Floss can be used a few times too if you prefer. Not sure if I explained that well.

As to the toothpaste dots, I did not come up with the idea. I read you can squeeze out a line of toothpaste on wax paper. Let it dry solid. Cut it into small dots. Put as many dots as you need in a very small ziplock with a little baking soda. When you brush your teeth, take a dot and chew it up and brush away.

Lone Wolf
03-02-2013, 08:25
seriously, the little package of floss weighs damn near nothing. why not just carry it instead of just 10 feet or whatever?

Rick Hancock
03-02-2013, 08:52
Take the time to visit Brawny and Rainmaker's web site TrailQuest.com. Tons of good info including hygiene. Separate and together they have a lot of trail miles.

garlic08
03-02-2013, 09:29
We all have different hygiene needs and it could get kinda personal. I guess that's why they call it personal hygiene. My hygiene kit weighs about 3 oz, fits in a small ziplock except the toothbrush and bandanna, and suits me fine. Others may need more, some might not need a few things I carry. The dentist gives me a hard time when I come back from a hike, so I carry more of that stuff than I used to (baking soda is a good substitute for toothpaste by the way). Thirty years ago you couldn't have convinced me I'd be carrying and using dental floss on a hiking trip.

Same with first aid--carry to fix what ails you, not someone else. If you get headaches or have allergies or are more sensitive to blisters, your kit will be different than mine.

lukabrazi
03-02-2013, 14:13
If you use one of those wisps you will have to put your dirty fingers in your mouth.

BirdBrain
03-02-2013, 14:30
seriously, the little package of floss weighs damn near nothing. why not just carry it instead of just 10 feet or whatever?

I understand your point. Some free up weight by not carrying items I deem necessary. Others minimize everything they can in hopes to save 2oz on 20 things. Do this and you save 40oz. By itself, it makes no sense at all. Collectively, it all adds up. I minimize as far as it makes sense and still is functional. There is zero need to have the container the floss came in, just like there is zero need for the tube the toothpaste came in.

BirdBrain
03-02-2013, 14:31
Take the time to visit Brawny and Rainmaker's web site TrailQuest.com. Tons of good info including hygiene. Separate and together they have a lot of trail miles.

Thank you for the tip. Will do.

BirdBrain
03-02-2013, 14:33
If you use one of those wisps you will have to put your dirty fingers in your mouth.

My fingers will not be dirty when I put them in my mouth. The same could be said for flossing, but I will be doing it. Besides, the human mouth is one of the dirtiest things on the planet.

Train Wreck
03-02-2013, 14:37
I understand your point. Some free up weight by not carrying items I deem necessary. Others minimize everything they can in hopes to save 2oz on 20 things. Do this and you save 40oz. By itself, it makes no sense at all. Collectively, it all adds up. I minimize as far as it makes sense and still is functional. There is zero need to have the container the floss came in, just like there is zero need for the tube the toothpaste came in.

I'm curious, do you snip off the floss as you need it or pre- cut it into set lengths for each use?

max patch
03-02-2013, 14:44

Evolution of an ounce weenie....

Before the hike they expend a bunch of time and energy drying their toothpaste into dots.

In Pennsylvania they leave town with a 6 pack and a rotisserie chicken.

BirdBrain
03-02-2013, 14:53
I'm curious, do you snip off the floss as you need it or pre- cut it into set lengths for each use?

Snip it off as used. That way you get almost double the normal use. Each time you are saving the amount wrapped on one of the fingers. If you use from a container, you lose both halves on each use.

BirdBrain
03-02-2013, 15:00

Before the hike they expend a bunch of time and energy drying their toothpaste into dots.

I am ill equipped to argue your logic on several fronts. I have not hiked as far as you. I am not planning a thru hike. I am only hiking across Maine with resupplies in Monson and Stratton from loved ones. I am carrying heavy luxury items that I would not be carried on a thru hike that require me to be a gram weenie. I can do this kind of planning because of the local support. I am almost certain I would do many things different on a thru hike. However, I am also receiving advice from thru hikers who are more of a gram weenie than I am. I bow to all who have done more than I. I covet your opinion and all others. That is the purpose of this thread. It is not to proclaim my better way. It is here so people like you can tear it up.

Lone Wolf
03-02-2013, 17:33

i know. it's such foolishness. a container of floss weighs damn near nothin' and takes up hardly any space. same with a travel size tube of toothpaste. but the gram weenies carry filters and walking poles which have real weight and no real use

BirdBrain
03-02-2013, 17:44
i know. it's such foolishness. a container of floss weighs damn near nothin' and takes up hardly any space. same with a travel size tube of toothpaste. but the gram weenies carry filters and walking poles which have real weight and no real use

Don't get too frustrated. This gram weenie is listening. I am not a know-it-all. I am trying to learn.

Lone Wolf
03-02-2013, 17:47
Don't get too frustrated. This gram weenie is listening. I am not a know-it-all. I am trying to learn.

i ain't frustrated at all. and i ain't a know-it-all. learn by doing not getting 100 pieces of advice from 100 different people

BirdBrain
03-02-2013, 17:56
i ain't frustrated at all. and i ain't a know-it-all. learn by doing not getting 100 pieces of advice from 100 different people

Well you know more than me and I am not being sarcastic by saying that. The trouble we noob's have is we are being told a hundred different things by a 100 different people that all are in a position to know better than us. I am trying to filter the advice as best I can. It is hard, because many act like you are an idiot if you don't follow their advice. I am not saying you are treating me like an idiot. I believe you are trying to offer real life experience. It is just hard being someone without the real life experience that others have to tell some they are wrong and others that they are right. Who am I to judge. Just trying to do the best I can. That is why I ask. I am thankful for your input.

Lone Wolf
03-02-2013, 18:01
Well you know more than me and I am not being sarcastic by saying that. The trouble we noob's have is we are being told a hundred different things by a 100 different people that all are in a position to know better than us. I am trying to filter the advice as best I can. It is hard, because many act like you are an idiot if you don't follow their advice. I am not saying you are treating me like an idiot. I believe you are trying to offer real life experience. It is just hard being someone without the real life experience that others have to tell some they are wrong and others that they are right. Who am I to judge. Just trying to do the best I can. That is why I ask. I am thankful for your input.before my first thru-hike there was no internet, books, videos,etc. we used common sense or just started with what we thought we'd need. within a week you know what you need/don't need and adjust accordingly. hikers today way overplan/think for a walk in the woods. it ain't rocket science

Fur Queue
03-02-2013, 18:09
I've resigned myself to getting filthy...im goint to embrace it....I'm taking a toothbrush, a travel toothpaste, some hotel soap, some paper towels, a bandanna and some wet wipes as my luxury item...I'm not even going to bother with the hand sanitizer, the hands are actually the filthiest part of the body...I saw an experiment once, growing bacteria in cultures...everybody's finger bacteria was worse than the sample of dog chit...I'll keep my spoon as clean as I can though...use some dirt to get any stubborn bits off....

BirdBrain
03-02-2013, 18:15
I've resigned myself to getting filthy...im goint to embrace it....I'm taking a toothbrush, a travel toothpaste, some hotel soap, some paper towels, a bandanna and some wet wipes as my luxury item...I'm not even going to bother with the hand sanitizer, the hands are actually the filthiest part of the body...I saw an experiment once, growing bacteria in cultures...everybody's finger bacteria was worse than the sample of dog chit...I'll keep my spoon as clean as I can though...use some dirt to get any stubborn bits off....

Wood ash works good too.

Fur Queue
03-02-2013, 18:22
Wood ash works good too.

Nice and sterile! Thanks!

BirdBrain
03-02-2013, 18:25
Okay, I guess I have beat this one up enough. I am getting a cross section and polar positions. I have gleaned some useful information. A bit of thread drift here, but my thread so... I have quite a bit of short hiking experience. I have a good amount of take almost nothing hiking experience. I have come back cold and hungry and injured. It was what we did as teenagers. Head into the woods, no trail, and just a sleeping bag, tent, and fishing rod. We would fish down miles of brooks, eat, and sleep until we got hungry, tired, or bored. We carried no navigation aids, no pots and pans, no 1st aid, no extra cloths, no hygiene anything, no tp, no extra anything. It is a wonder we made it out alive and wondered about it more than once. I can do the take nothing hiking. I just am choosing a different way this time.

Fur Queue
03-02-2013, 18:28
Ash as talcum powder maybe?? I've just looked it up and in years gone by they used it a toothpaste... :)

Rasty
03-02-2013, 18:35
Okay, I guess I have beat this one up enough. I am getting a cross section and polar positions. I have gleaned some useful information. A bit of thread drift here, but my thread so... I have quite a bit of short hiking experience. I have a good amount of take almost nothing hiking experience. I have come back cold and hungry and injured. It was what we did as teenagers. Head into the woods, no trail, and just a sleeping bag, tent, and fishing rod. We would fish down miles of brooks, eat, and sleep until we got hungry, tired, or bored. We carried no navigation aids, no pots and pans, no 1st aid, no extra cloths, no hygiene anything, no tp, no extra anything. It is a wonder we made it out alive and wondered about it more than once. I can do the take nothing hiking. I just am choosing a different way this time.

With all these beauty aids are you trying to pick up chicks or something?