PDA

View Full Version : Klymit Static V

daddytwosticks
03-01-2013, 13:09
I'm in the market for a new pad. I've used an older Prolite 3 short since 2004, but am getting tired of a short pad. Want to go with a full size inflatable that is relatively light, but don't want to spend the big bucks necessary for all the neo-air type models. Planning on buying from REI durring the March members' sale. The Klymit Staic V looks very promising and am leaning towards this one. Any user reviews? I'm especially concerned with weather they stay put on a Tarptent silnylon floor w/o any gyrations done to prevent slippage. In addition, I'm 6 foot tall and want to get some tall hiker's impressions with this pad, especially wrt feet hanging off or pillows sliding off. I am also a very active sleeper who moves around much at night. Thanks for all your input. :)

barf_jay
03-01-2013, 13:27
Things I like about my Static V:

1.) Lightweight
2.) Only 10 breaths to inflate
3.) small pack size

I have no complaints of my Static V...I am not tall (only 5'8"), but other than that no issues. I use a quilt with mine, and I am an active sleeper, no issues there either.

daddytwosticks
03-02-2013, 15:36
I know warmth is relative. What's the coldest you have slept comfortably on this pad? Thanks. :)

msumax1985
05-22-2013, 15:24
The OP likely already made his purchase, but here is my input:

I am a stocky 5"9" and no problems with the size or width. I am a side sleeper and roll over quite a bit at night. With my 25deg down bag I took this down to 24deg and was cold. The pad is comfortable, but my hip would dig down close to the ground and get cold over time, eventually waking me up. Overall, I think my bag was warm enough, I just need more R value from my pad. So am looking to buy a Big Agnes QCore SL. But am keeping my Klymit Static V for use in temps over 40-50 degrees (just in case the QCore is too warm in higher temps). My pad slid all over the place on my Tarptent silnylon floor. I put the silicone stripes on the floor, but did not put the silicone dots on the sleeping pad. But it seems a lot of the people I encountered on the AT had this problem, not sure it is unique to the Static V. In fact, the Static V seems to have a rougher texture that would tend be less slippery.

For $60 it is hard to beat. Rolls up very small, mine is 18oz incl sack and repair kit. The V shape body mapping seems to be more comfortable than the typical long tube designs. If you sleep on your back, I think it would be good in colder temps, but for me being a side sleeper I dont plan to use it below 45-50 degrees.

daddytwosticks
05-22-2013, 16:35
Thanks for the info. Bought a fancy, extra-large neoair Xlite from REI. I've only used it twice - once in my Tarptent and once on the floor of an AT shelter. Love it, but am worried about durability. It's nice to have my entire body on the pad, including my elbows. I'm off on a hike tomorrow and will use it three more nights. :)