PDA

View Full Version : Lightweight fry pan with sturdy nonstick

Tipi Walter
03-01-2013, 14:07
Which brings up the question---Can anyone tell me of a light backpacking fry pan which does not delaminate or flake off after use? Such as teflon which is in my opinion total crap. Are the anodized aluminum fry pans truly stickless? Does the anodized stuff flake off? Many fry pans advertise "stickless" but in reality they result in 15 minutes of field-scrubbing.

illabelle
03-01-2013, 15:27
Which brings up the question---Can anyone tell me of a light backpacking fry pan which does not delaminate or flake off after use? Such as teflon which is in my opinion total crap. Are the anodized aluminum fry pans truly stickless? Does the anodized stuff flake off? Many fry pans advertise "stickless" but in reality they result in 15 minutes of field-scrubbing.
Tipi, get a small size frying pan made for cooking in a regular kitchen - not a thin cheap one. Remove the handle. The thicker bottom works much better in heat distribution and the coating is more durable than any lightweight pan made for backpacking that I've seen. It's worth the extra ounce(s).

Tipi Walter
03-01-2013, 15:30
Tipi, get a small size frying pan made for cooking in a regular kitchen - not a thin cheap one. Remove the handle. The thicker bottom works much better in heat distribution and the coating is more durable than any lightweight pan made for backpacking that I've seen. It's worth the extra ounce(s).

Thanks, this is EXACTLY what I did and even found some "green" fry pans in Target and cut off the handle and I'm very pleased---it has a grey nonstick finish which is REALLY nonstick but even with the handle off it is not light. I like it though.

Alligator
03-01-2013, 15:48
I've been happy with this set (http://www.campmor.com/gsi-bugaboo-teflon-6-piece-mess-kit-3.shtml?source=CI&ci_sku=82069WC&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw={keyword})-I don't use the bowl or cup. It's still heavy for the set about 12 oz I think. The nonstick is still in good shape but I switched out to a ti set a few years ago. It is the set I bring if I am frying something.

This pan (http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___82033?cm_vc=PDPZ2) might be something you might try it kind of depends on what you are considering "light". It's probably light compared to some real pans. I suspect you might find something lighter using illabelle's suggestion. It's from the same company and the finish is the same as the first set.

The lighter fry pan lid sets I have have not performed well as far as nonstick and are pretty small also. However, my Trangia 28 (http://www.amazon.com/Trangia-327508-28-T-Mini/dp/B000LN7HUC) fry pan lid is decent but real small.

Tipi Walter
03-01-2013, 16:23
This is what I use but it's too heavy---called the Green Pan.

http://www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk/userfiles/image/green-pan-HT.jpg

illabelle
03-01-2013, 17:51
So glad I could help!
A little more info:
I wash our pot, bowls, and utensils after each meal, but I do not wash the frying pan, just scrape it out and store it by itself in a grocery bag. Other things can nest into it, but the only things inside that bag are the frying pan and half-handled spatula.
I use the frying pan only for frying. Some foods make more of a mess than others. For example, if I rehydrate and fry hash browns, it's a little messy, but if I make chili-n-cheese quesadillas, the pan almost cleans itself. Likewise with grilled cheese. I don't do scrambled eggs - they're always a mess! One treat we enjoy is honey buns fried in margarine - mmmmm! The sugar combined with the grease makes the pan gummy, so this treat is enjoyed as part of our last meal of the trip.
Tipi, I understand that you often take trips longer than just a few days. If I were doing that, I would wash the frying pan from time to time as needed, but I think my system would avoid a 15-minute scrubbing.

Rasty
03-01-2013, 18:02
Season the anodized pan with oil and heat in the oven. Repeat the process.

WingedMonkey
03-01-2013, 18:09
I've been happy with this set (http://www.campmor.com/gsi-bugaboo-teflon-6-piece-mess-kit-3.shtml?source=CI&ci_sku=82069WC&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw={keyword})-I don't use the bowl or cup. It's still heavy for the set about 12 oz I think. The nonstick is still in good shape but I switched out to a ti set a few years ago. It is the set I bring if I am frying something.

This pan (http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___82033?cm_vc=PDPZ2) might be something you might try it kind of depends on what you are considering "light". It's probably light compared to some real pans. I suspect you might find something lighter using illabelle's suggestion. It's from the same company and the finish is the same as the first set.

The lighter fry pan lid sets I have have not performed well as far as nonstick and are pretty small also. However, my Trangia 28 (http://www.amazon.com/Trangia-327508-28-T-Mini/dp/B000LN7HUC) fry pan lid is decent but real small.

I still have an old (about 10 years) GSI Bugaboo Set that was oringinaly for two are more. Two pots and both with fry pan lids.

I seldom take all the pieces just match it to what the trip is.

The fry pans are still so slick that olive oil beads up on them.

rocketsocks
03-01-2013, 18:39
I bought this a couple years ago, I haven't used it but two or three times, but not on the trail I also removed the handle, and have since put it back on, just to see if I could. I gotta assume it's Teflon coated. Been wondering about those Greenies as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Joie-Vivre-50162-Nonstick-Surface/dp/B00068UTJI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1362177135&sr=8-2&keywords=single+egg+fry+pan

Odd Man Out
03-01-2013, 19:00
I've been wanting to buy one of the Evernew non-stick titanium pots. They also have these in frying pans. The coating is a silicon ceramic. I have not used one, but maybe someone else could comment as I too am interested. They are pricey though, if that matters.

illabelle
03-01-2013, 21:40
Thanks, this is EXACTLY what I did and even found some "green" fry pans in Target and cut off the handle and I'm very pleased---it has a grey nonstick finish which is REALLY nonstick but even with the handle off it is not light. I like it though.

Checked the weight of my "heavy" frying pan against the weight of one with a folding handle made for backpacking. The one I've been using weighs 12.25 oz, the "lightweight" pan weights 11.75 oz. I'm VERY HAPPY with my choice.

Tipi Walter
03-01-2013, 21:44
Checked the weight of my "heavy" frying pan against the weight of one with a folding handle made for backpacking. The one I've been using weighs 12.25 oz, the "lightweight" pan weights 11.75 oz. I'm VERY HAPPY with my choice.

I don't have a scale to weigh my crap but my nice grey pan is heavy and may even be a pound. The only point of it all is to have the variety-option of frying stuff on the trail but so far I'm sticking with boiling water in my titanium pot. I can live without the fry pan I guess.

dla
03-02-2013, 11:28
Walmart sells an ideal 7" fry pan for a few Yuan. Lose the handle an it is read to go.

The Cleaner
03-02-2013, 12:09
Check out MSR Duralite, 5.4 0zs. from Amazon.com about 15$.I've used mine more at home than on the trail.No problems so far.BTW you'll need a pot gripper....

DeerPath
03-02-2013, 13:09
Check out Evernew Ti fry pans. Mine clean up easy.

http://www.evernewamerica.com/ECA443.htm

Tipi Walter
03-02-2013, 13:56
Walmart sells an ideal 7" fry pan for a few Yuan. Lose the handle an it is read to go.

I went to walmart and got one of their Texsport teflon fry pans for backpacking and the thing put black flakes in my eggs after just a couple months. Tossed and good riddance. Your example is probably a whole different thing.

DeerPath's suggestion is just what I'm looking for---a silicone ceramic pan at around 4 oz. Thanks.

ChuckBrown
03-03-2013, 05:42
I use the " one egg wonder" from target, $5.50.

Wise Old Owl
03-03-2013, 10:34
Tipi Silverstone and other Teflon knockoffs were never designed to last forever. That's why you never see them in commercial kitchens... You get a couple of years out of them and ya toss...

as for the weight -the thicker the aluminum the better the heat distribution or evenness to prevent cold spots. Getting the ceramic and cutting off the handle appears to be priceless for the moment.

Here is EVERNEW TI CERAMIC.

http://www.backcountrygear.com/evernew-ti-non-stick-deep-pot-fry-pan-lid.html?gclid=CO6T5-bi4LUCFQyg4Aod6HkASQ

Odd Man Out
03-03-2013, 11:32
Here is EVERNEW TI CERAMIC.

http://www.backcountrygear.com/evernew-ti-non-stick-deep-pot-fry-pan-lid.html?gclid=CO6T5-bi4LUCFQyg4Aod6HkASQ

I've looked at that one too. But no one seems to have it in stock. Also, the weight listed on that web page (4.4 oz) doesn't agree with the Evernew page (5.8 oz). If I ever get my hands on one I can measure the wight and capacities of each part separately and post as I haven't been able to track that down.

Furlough
03-03-2013, 12:19
Always looking for more meal options. what sorts of things are you all making in your frying pans?

Tipi Walter
03-03-2013, 12:32
Always looking for more meal options. what sorts of things are you all making in your frying pans?

It depends on who you ask---meat vs no meat. I like scrambled eggs with cheese. I always take a loaf of bread on a trip and do the egg-in-the-hole thing whereby I get a piece of toast with an egg in it. It's a great meal but can only be done with a fry pan. Then there's veggie patties of different sorts---see below link. Dehydrated foods don't really work with a fry pan but a fry pan opens up many other tasty options. Wildwood baked tofu can be taken out and cut in strips and fried, as can tempeh. The only way I like tempeh is fried. Lately I've been dehydrating baked tofu and eating it on the trail like meat jerky.

http://www.drpraegers.com/Veggie-Burgers-and-Pockets-C51.aspx

Wise Old Owl
03-03-2013, 12:42
I've looked at that one too. But no one seems to have it in stock. Also, the weight listed on that web page (4.4 oz) doesn't agree with the Evernew page (5.8 oz). If I ever get my hands on one I can measure the wight and capacities of each part separately and post as I haven't been able to track that down.

It's coming... new.

Pizza Muffins.... http://blog.trailcooking.com/2010/01/08/more-fauxbaker-pizza-muffins/
Bannock ....http://www.backpacker.com/september_2005_skills_food_bread/skills/9656
Corn bread ....http://www.backpacker.com/september_2005_skills_food_bread/skills/9656?page=2
Trout
and BACON!

Drybones
03-03-2013, 13:05
[QUOTE=illabelle;1429341]So glad I could help!
A little more info:
One treat we enjoy is honey buns fried in margarine - mmmmm! The sugar combined with the grease makes the pan gummy, so this treat is enjoyed as part of our .....last meal.... of the trip.
QUOTE]

Had to chuckle when I read this, sounds like something I'd love, if my doctor read this she'd emphasis the last meal part.

Drybones
03-03-2013, 13:38
The fry pan Jetboil sells does a good job. The Jetboil stove cooks too fast so I made a cat stove specifically to use with this pan, it has fewer holes to make it burn slower and longer, works well.

mister krabs
03-03-2013, 14:08
[QUOTE=Wise Old Owl;1430417]Tipi Silverstone and other Teflon knockoffs were never designed to last forever. That's why you never see them in commercial kitchens... You get a couple of years out of them and ya toss...

WOO, the disposable factor is true, but you do see them in commercial kitchens. I used them for years when I was working the breakfast shift at the Ritz. One thing about that though, like my knives they were MINE, no you may not use them, please do not touch them. I stored them in my locker with a rag in between. With proper care, they lasted me about a year or two and several thousands of eggs. Proper care equals wiping them out, never overheating them and never using anything but a silicon spatula in them. They only rarely saw soap and never a scrubby. I've gotten similar results with similar care from my 6" IMUSA egg pan which is very light. I don't expect it to last as long as the commercial ones, but I never expect to see a flake in it.

Wise Old Owl
03-03-2013, 15:50
That's interesting - I wasn't talking absolutes... but the bulk of my Pest Control business is cleaning roach & mice in commercial kitchens... I have never seen a Teflon pot or pan.

I also have done five years in Bed Bug inspections - saw my first infested waterbed on Friday... (a first)

mister krabs
03-03-2013, 16:03
You're right, you'll never see them. If they exist, they're locked up because cooks are Neanderthals. They're only out for eggs and omelets.

Rasty
03-03-2013, 16:25
That's interesting - I wasn't talking absolutes... but the bulk of my Pest Control business is cleaning roach & mice in commercial kitchens... I have never seen a Teflon pot or pan.

I also have done five years in Bed Bug inspections - saw my first infested waterbed on Friday... (a first)

Really only used for sauté pans 10" or smaller for eggs, crepes and sometimes scallops. You wont see them just laying around the kitchen like the regular pans and some genius will scrub with a stainless steel scrub pad.

SoCalled
03-03-2013, 16:56
The BCB mess tins are awesome. The lid is a perfect, sturdy, washable frying pan. It will stand to a lot of outdoor cooking.

See for yourself :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JIlWDmxpos

The whole process is shown, from frying to cleaning. Size is also perfect for solo hiking.

illabelle
03-03-2013, 17:29
[QUOTE=Tipi Walter;1430498]It depends on who you ask---meat vs no meat. Wildwood baked tofu can be taken out and cut in strips and fried, as can tempeh. The only way I like tempeh is fried. Lately I've been dehydrating baked tofu and eating it on the trail like meat jerky.

I thoughtI remembered reading somewhere that you were vegetarian! I’ve been vegetarian all my life, but I’vehad little experience with tofu. Occasionally buy tofu at the local grocery, still learning how to fix it… But tofu on the trail? Baked tofu? Never heard of such a thing. And thendehydrating it? I’m intrigued. Do you start with the regular water-packedtofu and bake it yourself, or do you buyit that way? How do you dehydrateit? How do you season it? Tell me more!

BigRing
03-03-2013, 17:42
I have a great 8" aluminum chef's pan made by Farberware. It is aluminized with a steel bottom to distribute heat. I spent time walking through cooking sections....cannot remember where I purchased it, but has worked great. I cut the handle down.

Tipi Walter
03-03-2013, 17:48
[QUOTE=Tipi Walter;1430498]It depends on who you ask---meat vs no meat. Wildwood baked tofu can be taken out and cut in strips and fried, as can tempeh. The only way I like tempeh is fried. Lately I've been dehydrating baked tofu and eating it on the trail like meat jerky.

I thoughtI remembered reading somewhere that you were vegetarian! I’ve been vegetarian all my life, but I’vehad little experience with tofu. Occasionally buy tofu at the local grocery, still learning how to fix it… But tofu on the trail? Baked tofu? Never heard of such a thing. And thendehydrating it? I’m intrigued. Do you start with the regular water-packedtofu and bake it yourself, or do you buyit that way? How do you dehydrateit? How do you season it? Tell me more!

My fave is Wildwood baked tofu vacuum wrapped and available at some Fresh Markets, Earth Fares and other whole food markets. It is already baked and seasoned and only needs a short time sliced thin in the home dehydrator to become jerky. Regular "wet" tofu could be fried at home and then dried but it's too much work for me. Also soy sausages can be cut thin and dried to make a similar jerky.

Here's another thing---find your favorite soup or canned soups and dry them on a silicone sheet in the dryer. Right now I have organic Imagine quart cartons of soup drying---broccoli, sweet potato soup, butternut squash soup and different tomato soups like Imagine and Dr McDougall's. On the trail they rehydrate with boiling water and 20-30 minutes in the cozy. Add butter and some goat cheese for taste.

Another neato option---take Amy's veggie refried beans or Amy's veg chilis and dry them on silicone sheets. In fact, most any canned foods you want to take can be dried beforehand.

http://www.wildwoodfoods.com/sites/default/files/WW_10172_00450.png

Check out
http://www.wildwoodfoods.com/products/meat-alternatives/tofu

illabelle
03-03-2013, 18:29
My fave is Wildwood baked tofu vacuum wrapped and available at some Fresh Markets, Earth Fares and other whole food markets. It is already baked and seasoned and only needs a short time sliced thin in the home dehydrator to become jerky. Regular "wet" tofu could be fried at home and then dried but it's too much work for me. Also soy sausages can be cut thin and dried to make a similar jerky.

Here's another thing---find your favorite soup or canned soups and dry them on a silicone sheet in the dryer. Right now I have organic Imagine quart cartons of soup drying---broccoli, sweet potato soup, butternut squash soup and different tomato soups like Imagine and Dr McDougall's. On the trail they rehydrate with boiling water and 20-30 minutes in the cozy. Add butter and some goat cheese for taste.

Another neato option---take Amy's veggie refried beans or Amy's veg chilis and dry them on silicone sheets. In fact, most any canned foods you want to take can be dried beforehand.

Thanks, Tipi. Headed to EarthFare/FreshMarket tomorrow, and will start experimenting. Maybe I can surprise my husband with some fried tofu on our next trip in two weeks. He'll be a happy boy! :D

illabelle
03-03-2013, 18:39
[QUOTE=Tipi Walter;1429463]I don't have a scale to weigh my crap but my nice grey pan is heavy and may even be a pound. The only point of it all is to have the variety-option of frying stuff on the trail but so far I'm sticking with boiling water in my titanium pot. I can live without the fry pan I guess.[/QUOTE

If I were backpacking solo like you do, I would probably leave the pan at home most of the time to reduce weight. Not sure I would like backpacking solo anyway. It's nice having my husband along to share the load, and it gives us more flexibility. I carry the food and dishes, but he carries the tent and other equipment.

Odd Man Out
03-03-2013, 19:12
It's coming... new.

Cool - I'll have to keep shopping. Maybe I'll buy the set, sell Tipi the pan and fabricate a lid.