PDA

View Full Version : GG Vapor Trail v. Latitude Vapor...vs Osprey?

gumball
06-16-2005, 17:43
I am taking a look at downsizing from my current Ariel 75 to one of the GGear packs--either the vapor trail or the latitude vapor. I have read quite a bit on the comfort of the vapor trail--I am wondering what the scoop is on the latitude vapor and, aside from a little additional weight, what other differences there might be?

I have an Aether 60, but it isn't quite as comfortable as my Ariel 75, which just fits my body better. I don't want to switch out for a few pounds if it means I'm losing my really great suspension system that makes the Ariel 75 so comfy for me--but if the comfort remains relative, I might like to purchase the Vapor Trail and save some weight, at least for summer backpacking.

I currently carry about 25 lbs, with food and water.

One more question--if you just carry some Gatoraide bottles for water, where the heck do you put them on a Vapor Trail?

Thanks!

Footslogger
06-16-2005, 17:52
I carry the Vapor Trail (also downsized from Osprey - Aether 60) but have seen the Latitude Vapor. I'm not fond of zipper compartments (which is the big difference), waterproof or not, so the regular Vapor Trail is still my pack of choice. I also typcially carry 24 - 26 lbs. As far as the Gatorade bottles go ...I carry one 20oz bottle and attach it to my shoulder strap with shock cord. Works like a champ. In addition to the bottle I also carry a 1.8 Liter Platyus. I lay it horizonally across the top of the pack, rolled up in the storm collar, and dangle the hose over my shoulder. Carried that system all the way to Katahdin on my thru in 2003 and it served me well.

'Slogger

Bolivershagnasty
06-16-2005, 18:54
I looked at the vapor last night. It seemed to have a really good waist belt and harness, I carry an Osprey Ather 75 which is way too big really. I'm concidering the Osprey Ather 60 but also looking at the Osprey Atmos for summer but the harness seems really thin as well as the hip belt. I just got the Ather 75 this year and it's very comfy it really is but I can't put enough stuff in it to fill it and then be able to carry it! I'm going to start carrying a full size pillow I think just to take up some room, which thinking of it might be a good thing. I try to keep my base weight to 10lbs and then add food and water and stay below 30lbs at all cost. But the vapor looks intresting.

Nightwalker
06-17-2005, 00:38
I looked at the vapor last night.
Where did you see one in Greenville?

DLFrost
06-17-2005, 03:55
I'm concidering the Osprey Ather 60 but also looking at the Osprey Atmos for summer but the harness seems really thin as well as the hip belt. I just got the Ather 75 this year and it's very comfy it really is but I can't put enough stuff in it to fill it and then be able to carry it! I'm going to start carrying a full size pillow I think just to take up some room, which thinking of it might be a good thing.
If you're using a TharmaRest you can replace it with one or two lighter closed-cel foam pads, traiding weight for bulk. Insert your sleeping pad as a packliner and put the gear inside it. The 75/90 models are better suited as extended-trip winter packs though...

I use the Aether 60 for both summer and winter in the East TN area. Take the top pocket off in the summer. In the winter use the pocket and extend it up to stow bulky gear underneath like a compression sack (fleece, a hammock undercover, etc.). This keeps the weight centered. It also helps it fit inside smaller packcovers, ponchos, etcetera. Only downside is that sewn-in hipbelts cannot be custom sized in current models.

The thing I don't like about the Atmos is that the air space opened up behind the back mesh panel (by the bent frame) takes up too much of the pack's interior volume. Heck, my daypack carries more gear and weighs less.

Doug Frost

Beachwalker
06-17-2005, 08:00
I have the new Latitude Vapor, and like it. The frame is comfortable, and I've had it up to about 30 pounds with no loss in comfort. I like the physical size of it, not too large where it hangs up on stuff on the trail. It is different from a top loader, but I find that I like the convenience of being able to access things anywhere in the pack without unloading the entire thing. I lived with a top loader and won't use it anymore, perhaps I am spoiled, but my last long trip made me sick of it. I know to load things in order, etc, etc, but its just a pain sometimes, and you have your stuff scattered all over the trail while you unload & reload. With the Latitude Vapor, I just unzip and grab! One thing I love is the internal compression straps, they serve 2 purposes... first, compression obviously. Secondly, they allow you to open the pack at any level and retreive items without everything falling apart. Oh, and I have had it in rain without a cover, nothing inside got wet... nothing. I have used a Gatorade bottle, I stick it in the side pocket with a strap around it, or I drop it in the pack on top. Yes, its a bit heavier, but don't forget that to get the advertised capacity on the Vapor Trail, you have to have the collar extended to the moon, not so the Latitude Vapor. And when you don't need full capacity on the Latitude, you cinch up the compression straps and make it narrower.

-- BeachWalker

gumball
06-17-2005, 17:30
Beachwalker--it is not a top loader--it zips out from the middle? Is there a top pocket?

Beachwalker
06-17-2005, 21:45
Beachwalker--it is not a top loader--it zips out from the middle? Is there a top pocket?
Yes, it has 2 parallel zippers, about 6" apart. You can open it from the middle, bottom, wherever. No top panel, the zippers go over the top, but there is a small removable bag underneath the top.