PDA

View Full Version : GSNP Permit

RETCW4
03-01-2013, 20:24
Just completed my application for my permit, paid my $20.00, received my email to print the permit and they can't locate my transction. Our fine Gov't at work.

Tipi Walter
03-01-2013, 20:37
Just come on down to the Cherokee/Nantahala national forests. We've got trails from Twenty Mile/Fontana south past Calderwood Lake thru Slickrock wilderness all the way down to the southern tip of the Cohuttas. Screw the park.

Starchild
03-01-2013, 20:53
I hope that this whole fee thing for AT thru hikers will be abandoned (as immoral IMHO) in a week or two, and I will not need to pay into this corruption. Though if I do they will have more to answer for.

SC

Liminal
03-01-2013, 20:53
I did it a couple of days ago... no problems, printed and ready to go... our awesome gov't at work!!! (sorry you're having problems :o )

sliderule
03-01-2013, 21:12
Just completed my application for my permit, paid my $20.00, received my email to print the permit and they can't locate my transction. Our fine Gov't at work.

Could you explain how the email/print portion of the process is supposed to work? Is the email itself (when printed to paper) not the permit?

RETCW4
03-01-2013, 21:59
Could you explain how the email/print portion of the process is supposed to work? Is the email itself (when printed to paper) not the permit?

Once you apply and pay for the permit, they send you an email with a link and order number. You select AT Thru hiker, enter the first initial and last name of the permit holder, and the order number and the permit is supposed to show up to be printed. I got a message saying they could not locate my transaction.

sliderule
03-01-2013, 22:36
Once you apply and pay for the permit, they send you an email with a link and order number. You select AT Thru hiker, enter the first initial and last name of the permit holder, and the order number and the permit is supposed to show up to be printed. I got a message saying they could not locate my transaction.

Thanks for that information. I guess that simply emailing the permit would have been too simple.

Sly
03-01-2013, 22:40
I hope that this whole fee thing for AT thru hikers will be abandoned (as immoral IMHO) in a week or two, and I will not need to pay into this corruption. Though if I do they will have more to answer for.

LOL... funny stuff.

atmilkman
03-01-2013, 22:54
If you can't print it by the time you go I'd just take that email and if you get questioned or asked for it I'd say here you find it.

Rain Man
03-02-2013, 01:32
Our fine Gov't at work.

Blaming "the government" for some lame low-bid private contractor screwing up?! That's capitalism for you, not "government." ;)

Rain Man

sliderule
03-02-2013, 02:06
Blaming "the government" for some lame low-bid private contractor screwing up?! That's capitalism for you, not "government." ;)

Rain Man

That dog won't hunt. A government program is a government program. Dealing with "lame, low-bid" contractors is government policy; the government frequently gets what it pays for.

moldy
03-02-2013, 09:50
To the OP, I hope that if you can't print it you will at least call the backcountry permit office and get help. To the rest. we are Americans we can blame the govenment for anything we want, it's our right.

WingedMonkey
03-02-2013, 10:01
I did it a couple of days ago... no problems, printed and ready to go... our awesome gov't at work!!! (sorry you're having problems :o )

I advised in another thread to do a backup copy to email or "the cloud". Since you actually have your permit, is it in a format that makes that possible?

Liminal
03-02-2013, 10:11
absolutely... I have printed the permit, but I also have the pdf file saved in my computer and in my email

Liminal
03-02-2013, 10:21
default is "General Backcountry Permit"... dropdown box allows to choose "AT Thru-Hiker Permit"... confused me for a minute... could that be your problem????

(BTW... WE are the government) :)

Lauriep
03-02-2013, 11:52
The park has said that most problems have been caused when a thru-hiker selects the "General Backcountry Permit" instead of the "AT Thru-Hiker Permit" (as Liminal suggests above). Apparently it's an easy mistake to make and the park recognizes this. Hopefully the page will be amended to help eliminate this problem.

RETCW4, were you trying to get the thru-hiker permit? If so, did your confirmation email state "Your application for a Appalachian Trail Thru-Hiker Backcountry Permit for 1 person was accepted?" That's what I got when I applied for the thru-hiker permit (which, unfortunately, I won't be able to use).

Some people have also made an error re-typing the order number that was emailed to them.

Sly
03-02-2013, 12:02
That's what I got when I applied for the thru-hiker permit (which, unfortunately, I won't be able to use).

Are they transferable? May be good to know if someone quits before the Smokys that's already bought a permit.

RETCW4
03-02-2013, 21:10
RETCW4, were you trying to get the thru-hiker permit? If so, did your confirmation email state "Your application for a Appalachian Trail Thru-Hiker Backcountry Permit for 1 person was accepted?" That's what I got when I applied for the thru-hiker permit (which, unfortunately, I won't be able to use).

Some people have also made an error re-typing the order number that was emailed to them.[/QUOTE]

This is the message I received

"Your application for a Appalachian Trail Thru-Hiker Backcountry Permit for 1 person was accepted. The transaction information follows:"

I chose the AT Thru-Hiker permit and typed check my order number three times and had my wife double check it.

I did emailed, called and left a message for Melissa. Worst case I will take my confirmation with me with the permit number onit.

Thanks for everyone's responses.

Tumbleweed

Lauriep
03-02-2013, 22:08
Tumbleweed,

Thanks for following up with Melissa Cobern at the park. It sounds like you did everything right and the park needs to know there are apparently still some bugs or sequences that are not intuitive. Hopefully your direct contact with them will help them figure it out for you and make it easier for others.

Laurie P.

RETCW4
03-05-2013, 19:55
Thanks to Ray, a volunteer from the Backcountry office and Melissa from Pay.Gov, after spending all day looking for my permit transaction, the backcountry office couldn't find any record of it, but Melissa found it with the error code and emailed me the permit. Printed and in my pack!

Thank you both for spending the time to resolve the problem.

Tumbleweed

FarmerChef
03-05-2013, 21:20
Glad it all worked out. Have a great hike!

RETCW4
03-05-2013, 23:27
Glad it all worked out. Have a great hike!

Thanks Farmer,

My son lives in Linden. He'll be joining me for 5 days when I go through there.

Tumbleweed

kentucky android
03-06-2013, 05:01
This is my first thru hike, and first time in the smokies. I still need to purchase this permit. Can anyone give me a link? As a thru hiker is the one permit all thats required for the smokies? Thanks. Looking forward to seeing you on the trail.

Sly
03-06-2013, 10:08
This is my first thru hike, and first time in the smokies. I still need to purchase this permit. Can anyone give me a link? As a thru hiker is the one permit all thats required for the smokies? Thanks. Looking forward to seeing you on the trail.

https://smokiespermits.nps.gov/